Sponsored by:

Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
Well this will go on for another 10 pages but the bottom line is that F1 has become a joke,....a very boring joke.
/thread
Old 06-13-2019, 08:38 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
/thread
The whole incident only happened because Seb had track insurance so he drove more aggressively.... NOW you can /thread LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 08:43 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
THIS.....is probably truest point of these 10 pages....

I think the penalty could have gone either way, but stewards deciding a race sucks. Probably should have just "let them race" in the end....

But if it had to happen, I'm giddy as hell that it happened to Seb.

Multi 21 - M*****F***er.
At the end of the day, I believe that's what 95% of the people are upset about (Bold part above). Finally, we were all invested in a race where the almighty Mercedes was challenged and you had 2 guys with 9 world championships between them going at it. YOU KNEW Lewis was going to make his move at some point and there would be fireworks, but after the announcement of the investigation followed by the ruling, Lewis smartly just sat back so the last 20 laps was basically all for naught continuing the tradition of the processional race or more accurately exhibition of fast cars going in circles.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
The whole incident only happened because Seb had track insurance so he drove more aggressively.... NOW you can /thread LOL
Hahaha! Maybe we should post other funny stuff too?
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2019, 08:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

He got Ferrari insurance. He can wreck dat bitch.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
At the end of the day, I believe that's what 95% of the people are upset about (Bold part above). Finally, we were all invested in a race where the almighty Mercedes was challenged and you had 2 guys with 9 world championships between them going at it. YOU KNEW Lewis was going to make his move at some point and there would be fireworks, but after the announcement of the investigation followed by the ruling, Lewis smartly just sat back so the last 20 laps was basically all for naught continuing the tradition of the processional race or more accurately exhibition of fast cars going in circles.
From what I remember when I was young, it's kind of like in boxing, where you can win by scoring more points rather than trying to knock the other guy down. Rules can make a sport less exciting, but we generally do need rules.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:51 AM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

More footage with helmet shots:
http://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=26973091
Old 06-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by CCA
More footage with helmet shots:
http://www.espn.co.uk/video/clip?id=26973091
Wow. That sure looks like he’s getting control of a bad situation and not blocking!
Old 06-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Glyndellis
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 110 Posts

So stop blaming everyone else and just lay the blame squarely where it belongs. Seb. Without his initial mistake none of us are here discussing anything but Ferrari's return to form going 1 and 3 and finally breaking the Mercedes 1,2 run... Once again though, it was a self inflicted mistake...
My goodness, did you forget Seb's nationality? Germans don't make mistakes - just ask them, they'll confirm it!
Old 06-15-2019, 04:59 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Vettel missed the corner, crossed track limits, and impeded a following driver (Hamilton), either unintentionally or intentionally.

It's the whole of that sentence, and not just the last word of the sentence, that created the situation earning Vettel a penalty.

You're all focusing on the wrong things. Read the F1 Sporting Regulations.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,366 Likes on 2,485 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Vettel missed the corner, crossed track limits, and impeded a following driver (Hamilton), either unintentionally or intentionally.

It's the whole of that sentence, and not just the last word of the sentence, that created the situation earning Vettel a penalty.

+1

Things happened quickly and the drivers reacted based on instinct, so no real value in speculating about intentions.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:56 PM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

If the rule re impeding another driver requires intent, which I believe it does, and his momentum necessarily put him in a position to impede the other driver , you can NOT call the penalty because you are penalizing his inability to change the laws of physics.

That is why a huge majority of actual professional and amateur racers believe the penalty was wrong... PHYSICS.

PS how many times did Hamilton lock up his brakes in the hairpin with no one pressuring him? Is that a mistake? Of course . Racing is all about being on the edge and surviving mistakes to get the the black and white flag first,

If you want mistake free racing Im sure there is a robot league on the horizon... not my cup of tea.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:43 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSA
If the rule re impeding another driver requires intent, which I believe it does, and his momentum necessarily put him in a position to impede the other driver , you can NOT call the penalty because you are penalizing his inability to change the laws of physics.
Your statement re: "intent" lacks specific foundation. The 2019 F1 Penalty Table is fairly specific -

The Driving Infringements section includes the following elements -

"Hindering another driver"
"Impeding another driver"
"Impeding another driver dangerously or with apparent intent"

The first - "hindering" - a violation of ISC Appendix L, carries a 5 or 10 sec time penalty, or a drive-through, or a 10 sec stop & go.
The second - "impeding" - a violation of the F1 Sporting Regulations Article 31.6, carries an in-race penalty of a 5 or 10 sec time penalty, or a drive-through.
The third - "impeding dangerously or with apparent intent" - also SR Article 31.6, carries an in-race penalty of a drive-through or a 10 sec stop & go.

The "Leaving the track" section has only three elements:

"Leaving the track and gaining an advantage"
"Leaving the track and rejoining unsafely"
"Leaving the track without justifiable reason"

All are considered violations of the F1 Sporting Regulations Article 27.3. All carry the same penalty for occurrences during race sessions - 5 or 10 sec time penalty, or a drive-through penalty.These are the regulations were agreed-to by the F1 teams before the start of the 2019 season.

In the FIA stewarding world, every player I know looked at that incident, as it happened, and said "OK...by F1 rules, Vettel's gotta give that position back, or he's going to get a penalty."

That is why a huge majority of actual professional and amateur racers believe the penalty was wrong... PHYSICS.
It's not a popularity contest.

I'm totally OK with the fact that a huge majority of actual professional and amateur racers think it's wrong. A huge majority of professional and amateur racers don't even understand the rules that they race under (I have plenty of experience dealing with that) in their own series.

Last edited by Professor Helmüt Tester; 06-15-2019 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Clarity, which is short supply.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 AM
IPSA
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

Your statement re: "intent" lacks specific foundation. The 2019 F1 Penalty Table is fairly specific -

The Driving Infringements section includes the following elements -

"Hindering another driver"
"Impeding another driver"
"Impeding another driver dangerously or with apparent intent"

The first - "hindering" - a violation of ISC Appendix L, carries a 5 or 10 sec time penalty, or a drive-through, or a 10 sec stop & go.
The second - "impeding" - a violation of the F1 Sporting Regulations Article 31.6, carries an in-race penalty of a 5 or 10 sec time penalty, or a drive-through.
The third - "impeding dangerously or with apparent intent" - also SR Article 31.6, carries an in-race penalty of a drive-through or a 10 sec stop & go.

The "Leaving the track" section has only three elements:

"Leaving the track and gaining an advantage"
"Leaving the track and rejoining unsafely"
"Leaving the track without justifiable reason"

All are considered violations of the F1 Sporting Regulations Article 27.3. All carry the same penalty for occurrences during race sessions - 5 or 10 sec time penalty, or a drive-through penalty.These are the regulations were agreed-to by the F1 teams before the start of the 2019 season.

In the FIA stewarding world, every player I know looked at that incident, as it happened, and said "OK...by F1 rules, Vettel's gotta give that position back, or he's going to get a penalty."

It's not a popularity contest.

I'm totally OK with the fact that a huge majority of actual professional and amateur racers think it's wrong. A huge majority of professional and amateur racers don't even understand the rules that they race under (I have plenty of experience dealing with that) in their own series.

So based on your analysis he should have received at least 10 more seconds of penalties.

Good luck with that.

A far as opinions, there are very few actual truths in this small world professor and the laws of physics are are about as close to truth as we get.

This will be my final comment on the issue,

Cheers
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Make it stop

Quick Reply: Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards