Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts
Default Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards

Title says it all.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:28 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

No. Stewards didn't force Vettel off track and that mistake would have cost him his position if he didn't make sure that he blocked Hamilton and run him into the wall. That was his only chance to save his position and he executed it well. I don't believe that he couldn't have kept the car a little to the left if he had let it just roll off the grass and back on the track. His first move once he hit pavement again was to get on the gas and steer sharply to THE RIGHT to close the door on Hamilton. He wasn't just a passenger. He didn't have to do that. The race stewards (I think all experienced former racers) saw this and judged correctly. It was a great race despite the incident.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

And of course, it's not like LH hasn't ever done that to someone else, without penalty...

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-09-2019, 05:41 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
And of course, it's not like LH hasn't ever done that to someone else, without penalty...

https://youtu.be/haqpopZyvwc
Technically speaking he did leave a car width room at all times and only bluffed with a threat of closing the door. Ricardo fell for his bluff and didn't want to risk being pushed into the armco. ****ty move but I could see the stewards not penalizing him on technical grounds as there was car width room left at all times. Vettel completely closed the door on Hamilton, not just threaten to do so. I think that's what made the stewards decide differently.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:42 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
No. Stewards didn't force Vettel off track and that mistake would have cost him his position if he didn't make sure that he blocked Hamilton and run him into the wall. That was his only chance to save his position and he executed it well. I don't believe that he couldn't have kept the car a little to the left if he had let it just roll off the grass and back on the track. His first move once he hit pavement again was to get on the gas and steer sharply to THE RIGHT to close the door on Hamilton. He wasn't just a passenger. He didn't have to do that. The race stewards (I think all experienced former racers) saw this and judged correctly. It was a great race despite the incident.
This is stupid. He didn't steer to right to block Lewis once he re-entered the track. The car was still loose and had another wobble he caught then went straight down the road.

Serious joke of a decision. Worst case stewards should have have him let Lewis past and contribute on.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:46 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Kinda tough to drive through grass and have any traction thereafter. In my mind, Seb was a hero for saving it after that wiggle....

https://streamable.com/y28ds
Old 06-09-2019, 05:47 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 762 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Wow. You obviously have terrible eyes and know nothing about grass and momentum......
Old 06-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Absolutely crap call by the stewards. Let them race. I don't believe for a second that VET was trying to block HAM in his recovery efforts.
I also have no problem with VET's irritation afterwards and switching the podium signs around. I thought that was 'classic' F1 stuff - loved it. Oh my God, he's human.
VET also made a point of telling the crowd not to boo HAM, but rather the stewards.
I've been such an F1 fan for so many years but the way the sport has gone in recent years is driving me away.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:07 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Outside of that incident, it was a boring race; could barely keep my eyes open. I can see both sides of the argument and can flip-flop either way on it. So the stewards decision stands, and it would make no real difference in the drivers' or teams' championship standings if they didn't impose the penalty anyway.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Even when Vettel wins, he loses. If it wasn’t for bad luck...

The best part of the broadcast was when Vettel finally brought himself to enter parc ferme and he switched the no .1 and no. 2 signs moving no. 1 to his position and no. 2 to Hammy’s.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:16 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Vettel was trying not to slam that car into one of the concrete walls after losing the rear. That had exactly dick **** to do with trying to block Hamilton. They are both lucky that event didn't end both of their races. It could have gone very differently.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:24 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 679 Likes on 373 Posts

Great call. Go Hamilton. Raced his *** off and forced that mistake.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:40 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Force a mistake so give an erroneous penalty? Bad call by the stewards has nothing to do with why Vettel ran wide in the first place.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:46 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
No offense, but you may not understand the physics of putting down 1000 hp with a loose car and grass on all 4 tires. Video shows that VET didn't even track out onto the outside curbing. If HAM takes an inside line after he sees VET go off, HAM clears VET by a country mile.

There's no one laughing at F1 and Liberty Media harder than Bernie right now... what a fvcking joke F1 has become and how the mighty have fallen. Wonder how much time and effort it'll take to get back to where they were before.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:52 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by multi21
Wonder how much time and effort it'll take to get back to where they were before.
May be too late... And like NASCAR, they are HIGHLY unlikely to get back to where they were before.

Quick Reply: Canadian Grand Prix - Great Race Ruined by Stewards