Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 03:11 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
The sad thing is, well, two fronts.

Ferrari are starting to mumble about foundational faults with the root of their design, which means either, call it a season and update/learn what you can or rush develop an entirely new car.

Secondly, Red Bull are the top of the heap at developing what they have as the season progresses but by the time they get on par or close enough to challenge Mercedes, the season will already be wrapped up.

Still, I watch for the spectacle and I'm a big Verstappen fan so,

T
We discussed this after the 1st race of the year. The front wing design, which is new to F1 this year was developed as an inboard by Ferrari where Mercedes and Red Bull designed an outboard. As a result, the Ferrari seems more stable in corners but is ultimately slower. All the Ferrari powered cars (HAAS, Alfa) are all running inboard whereas Red Bull split their strategy with Toro Rosso who runs an outboard. To change to an outboard design at this stage is pretty much writing off the entire season as you have to change the airflow over the entire car. The Honda lump in the rear of the Red Bull will never match the power of the Mercedes therefore the season is pretty much done.

I've loved F1 for decades and it now pains me to not watch them anymore, but every time I do, it pains me more, so I've given up. Indy car was great last week, MotoGP is great most of the time. Any links to the F2 races you speak of?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:16 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
We discussed this after the 1st race of the year. The front wing design, which is new to F1 this year was developed as an inboard by Ferrari where Mercedes and Red Bull designed an outboard. As a result, the Ferrari seems more stable in corners but is ultimately slower. All the Ferrari powered cars (HAAS, Alfa) are all running inboard whereas Red Bull split their strategy with Toro Rosso who runs an outboard. To change to an outboard design at this stage is pretty much writing off the entire season as you have to change the airflow over the entire car. The Honda lump in the rear of the Red Bull will never match the power of the Mercedes therefore the season is pretty much done.

I've loved F1 for decades and it now pains me to not watch them anymore, but every time I do, it pains me more, so I've given up. Indy car was great last week, MotoGP is great most of the time. Any links to the F2 races you speak of?
If you have access to WatchESPN app go to the app >> other sports >> auto racing >> replay and all of them (or at least the recent ones) should be there. They aren't listed with F1, which both does and doesn't make sense.

If you are accessing on desktop, it looks like this:

Warning, if you think one or more of the Sky Sports F1 announcers gets too animated, boy are you in for a new treat.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:30 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Great, thanks DT, I do have the ESPN App!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:31 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing like watching the 911 RSR beat the competition in the GT categories of WEC and IMSA.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:43 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Looks like Ferrari have pretty much thrown in the towel for 2019.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...Yp9_OLhS7fV6b8
Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by multi21
Looks like Ferrari have pretty much thrown in the towel for 2019.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...Yp9_OLhS7fV6b8

Yeah, I posted something about Ferrari grumbling in a previous message but now I'm not so sure that they aren't jumping on the sandbagging train.

Look at race 1 in Australia, requires downforce that Binotto is saying they don't have enough of...., losing time in turns.
Fastest Merc lap was Hamilton in Q2 at 1.21.014.
LeClerc went 1.21.017 in Q1.

Hard to believe a totally screwed concept avenue is defined by .003 sec.

Long run maybe.
Before the caution at Baku, Vers's RB was catching Vettel at a fair clip;.

Verstappen today saying the Red Bull is not as good as the Mercedes in any area.

T
Old 05-16-2019, 06:14 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

Verstappen today saying the Red Bull is not as good as the Mercedes in any area.

T
Now Verstappen is sandbagging! He's trying to downplay that the Red Bull is no good so Mercedes doesn't worry about them. What mind games going on!
Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Now Verstappen is sandbagging! He's trying to downplay that the Red Bull is no good so Mercedes doesn't worry about them. What mind games going on!
Didn't you predict a RB win at Monaco...?

T
Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 PM
multi21
On temporary vacation

Yeah, I posted something about Ferrari grumbling in a previous message but now I'm not so sure that they aren't jumping on the sandbagging train.

Look at race 1 in Australia, requires downforce that Binotto is saying they don't have enough of...., losing time in turns.
Fastest Merc lap was Hamilton in Q2 at 1.21.014.
LeClerc went 1.21.017 in Q1.

Hard to believe a totally screwed concept avenue is defined by .003 sec.

Long run maybe.
Before the caution at Baku, Vers's RB was catching Vettel at a fair clip;.

T
Shirley you're not even remotely saying Ferrari is competitive are you??? Maybe I'm misreading your sandbagging comment, I don't now. Five 1-2 finishes in a row by Mercedes and the high probability that they're turning down the engine when they have a 30-60 second gap and no memory of the last time they had a mechanical problem.... it's over Johnny.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Indy car is way more fun to watch these days.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:07 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Indy car is way more fun to watch these days.
Watching Indy 500 practice today is more exciting than F1.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:25 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Watching Indy 500 practice today is more exciting than F1.
One more chance for Alonso but it doesn't look good since he was the slowest in practice. I don't think I would want to risk my life in a car with no chance if I were in his position anyway.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:59 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
One more chance for Alonso but it doesn't look good since he was the slowest in practice. I don't think I would want to risk my life in a car with no chance if I were in his position anyway.
He didn't qualify in the last-row shootout yesterday. There are no more chances for him this year.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:55 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

It was reported today that he has declined pursuing buying a seat.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

I thought F1 would get better when the new management group took over but it's gotten worse. They race for 2-3 laps, then turn on the cruise control to preserve the engine and gearbox and cruise until the last 5 or so laps, then race until the checkered flag. Ditch the hybrid nonsense, change the aero rules so the cars can run together without destroying their tires. Until some of this happens, it will be a snooze fest the rest of the season. And someone needs to do an intervention with Vettel because he pretty much stinks this year. Team orders are the only reason he's in front of LeClerc in the points. After every race I wonder who is getting fired at Ferrari the next day.

Indy Car has great racing, but not many are watching which is a shame because they are putting out a good product.

Quick Reply: Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes