Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 02:06 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They would have been forced to stop for tires if aero was that much more compromised. Increased sliding the car would have ruined the tires much earlier. The track is also not ideal for sustained downforce turns like a typical F1 circuit. i have driven on Nurburgring F1 track and it's almost boring in a GT car . Lewis could easily have ducked in for a pit stop at the end to get "fast lap" if they felt the engine had the pace, but obviously it did not. I don't think Mr. Multi-tool knows what lift and coast is unless . Racing road coarses in the heat teaches you how to manage engine temps and tire wear in longer races. Even a 40min sprint race can be challenge with tire and temp in the summer months.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (07-03-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 02:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,905 Likes on 1,725 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
I have acknowledged that already. What you are failing to acknowledge or refuse to understand is that Mercedes did not open their car up too much impacting their downforce or performance. It was the opposite. They gambled on how much they could open it up while maintaining aero and cooling their engines. They calculated wrong which meant driving to timed laps, turning the motor down and lifitng and coasting every lap. They needed to open the car MORE, sacrifice more aero to actually cool the car so they could turn the motor up and cool their brakes... That was the underlying issue.

We are close here Multi, I've acknowledged what you are talking about with in terms of aero impacting performance, you've stopped the insults, we're just missing on which part of the aero was Mercedes problem... Had "Loss of Aero or downforce or drag" been the issue they would have said it. What they have said consistently and Bottas acknowledged was they calculated all of this, including how much aero to sacrifice and got it wrong. They also didn't correctly factor how much lift and coast would cost them. They needed more bodywork off the car, even if it meant sacrificing more aero so they could cool their brakes and use their powerplant... You are 100% correct it is a balance and everything has impact, I am saying they got it wrong on the opposite side of the equation to you.

We almost good now?
Yes, we're good. I only want to add that if Mercedes had opened the body more as well as the brake cooling and sacrificed more aero, they may not have had to lift and coast so much. They admit they got the balance wrong between opening up the car more and the coasting and it's unknown except to them if their simulator would have calculated faster lap times in "race conditions" (not qualifying conditions because they had straight out pace over 1-2 laps) if they had enough open body on the car. I take what Toto says with a grain of salt and believe there's a compromise between what they were running as open inlets and removing all the body work but the sponsors were not be happy. What Hamilton said wasn't discussed much either and that is that this years cars are heavier and that puts more stress on the brakes too.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
If Mercedes' efforts to increase cooling had been successful, it very well be the case that the resulting aero hit they took for doing so would not have prevented them from winning the race.

The PRIMARY reported cause of Merc's pace was their being forced to turn down the engine and to lift and coast.

The aero hit they took from adding cooling didn't help but alone would likely not have kept them from being competitive.
Well said! I quite obviouslycould not have said it better...

You get a Swedish Fish, good thing you re-upped your insurance!!! Worth the price of admission alone.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,799 Likes on 2,197 Posts

What I find interesting is that Mercedes, with their proven engineering resources and expertise, can still sometimes get it wrong enough that they're rendered unable to win. That tells me that, despite the sophistication of their models and testing, there's still a good bit of judgment involved in their engineering decisions.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 896 Likes on 569 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
What I find interesting is that Mercedes, with their proven engineering resources and expertise, can still sometimes get it wrong enough that they're rendered unable to win. That tells me that, despite the sophistication of their models and testing, there's still a good bit of judgment involved in their engineering decisions.
I think it’s less that Mercedes got it wrong and more that it is impossible to have it all. As much as modern F1 cars are technologically marvels, there has to be compromises somewhere...power, aero, cooling, chassis, suspension etc. It’s a challenge for the manufacturers to find the right balance between design and function that optimizes performance. Mercedes knew about their cooling issues but conceded that it’s a function of their design which is focused on “accelerating airflow to the rear of the car to minimize drag”. The combination of factors that led to the conditions in Austria where known to Mercedes and wasn’t a mistake. Mercedes has calculated that their car will be competitive in most conditions however even when they know and understand the limitations on their car (based on ambient conditions), it still sucks to have an uncompetitive car.

The fact that Mercedes finished P3 & P5 in spite of having to lift & coast as much as they had to on each lap, is a testament to the massive gap in development between the top 3 teams and the rest of the field. This is why there is a constructors championship...car technology is critical/huge in F1.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Exciting rumor this morning from down under linking Ricciardo to a possible Ferrari move for next year... Too bad he would inevitably be a # 2 to Charles, no different than to Max at RB but it would be great to see him in Red. Apparently the other prospect is Bottas if Mercedes drop him for Ocon but out of the two I would want DR. Ferrari on the other hand probably view Bottas like another Kimi, much more willing to play second fiddle...

Interesting rumor.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:00 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what happens with Vettel?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:36 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

There's lots of rumors flying around. Once one driver makes a move, it's going to be musical chairs.

I saw that Vettel may return to Red Bull, replacing the struggling Gasley. He's been hanging around the Red Bull garage a lot lately. Personally I don't see that happening. I don't think he would mix well with Max.

They also have Ocon heading to Renault since he is French taking either Ricardio's seat if he leaves or displacing Hulkenburg. They also mentioned a possible move to Haas to replace Grosjean since he only has 2 points compared to Magnussen's 14. Ocon has been rumored also to go to Racing Point to replace the aging Perez. The good news is that Ocon looks to return, somewhere.

And the big rumor is that Alonso may come back! But never with McLaren because of his past with putting down Honda. McLaren have stated they're set with Saint and Norris.

Silly isn't it?
The following users liked this post:
Paul Solk (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seanseidman
So what happens with Vettel?
My uneducated guess is this is all based on Seb deciding to hang it up. Not sure when his contract is up but I don't see them ousting him unless there are a few major blunders between now and season end...
Old 07-05-2019, 11:44 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh, and that's if Bottas stays at Mercedes. He is only signed for this year. If he doesn't perform, he's out and Ocon stays at Mercedes.

Kubica is certainly out of Williams. He may not make the season. Expect something soon.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by StoogeMoe
Oh, and that's if Bottas stays at Mercedes. He is only signed for this year. If he doesn't perform, he's out and Ocon stays at Mercedes.

Kubica is certainly out of Williams. He may not make the season. Expect something soon.
is Toto still managing Ocon? Do they let him go to another manufacturer?
Kubica absolutely out.
Red Bull already said Gasly needs a CTRL-ALT-DEL.
Stroll is lucky his dad owns the team,
I feel bad for George Russel and Norris really impresses me...

I thought Red Bull would call up Kvyat before bringing Seb back alongside Max but who knows!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:38 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'd like to see Fernando and Max both in the Red Bull. Let's see who's really better.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:06 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,591 Posts

I would be surprised if Bottas and Gasly keep their seats. They are the two most under-performing drivers compared to their teammates.

I heard a rumor Maldanado was up for the Ferrari seat. Just a rumor.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:33 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
is Toto still managing Ocon? Do they let him go to another manufacturer?
Kubica absolutely out.
Red Bull already said Gasly needs a CTRL-ALT-DEL.
Stroll is lucky his dad owns the team,
I feel bad for George Russel and Norris really impresses me...

I thought Red Bull would call up Kvyat before bringing Seb back alongside Max but who knows!
Brings new meaning to "Hey Dad, can I borrow the car??"
Old 07-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
I would be surprised if Bottas and Gasly keep their seats. They are the two most under-performing drivers compared to their teammates.
The bad luck for them is that they each have really good teammates who make it easier for them to look underperforming.

Quick Reply: Presented by Mercedes the Mercedes Formula Mercedes Tour Brought to you by Mercedes