I only race if i can have a good chance of winning
1.43%
If i cant win or podium a race i would rather just do time trial
0%
I love the competition at any and all levels
55.71%
I dont need to win to have fun
38.57%
I need to win, but if i dont, its ok ill find out how to be faster and come back and compete again
27.14%
I love the social aspect of racing
41.43%
I love going fast around other cars all running at or near their limits
34.29%
I love pushing myself and the car to it's limits
50.00%
I love the chess-like strategy of racing
38.57%
If i cant win, Iwould never want to spend the money and time to race and be mid pack
1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

WHY DO YOU RACE? - A Pole and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 09:08 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

1. I've always loved cars and cars are meant to be driven. Every race car is a show car, not every show car is a race car. #DrivenNotDetailed
2. Learning the limits of the car and expanding my limits as a driver on track have improved my driving ability on the road.
3. I don't race to compete, I race to learn and I race against my own times. Autocross and track day time sessions are what I prefer at this point in my life. I have the money to support my passion and hobby, but not to support competitive racing.
4. It's a lot more satisfying and rewarding than golf; depending on your level, it might also be cheaper.

Controlling a car at higher speeds and through technical low speed courses has always come very naturally to me. But I'm humble enough to admit that there will always be faster cars and there will always be faster drivers. I'm not out there to prove anything, I just want to have a good time. I'm perfectly content living my average life and never being in the spotlight or on the podium, as long as I'm always smiling when behind the wheel.

Originally Posted by John H
It's cheaper than being married.
Especially when your wife shares the same passion for racing. But I do love her for that.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:08 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

I need to do stuff on a race weekend to keep my mind occupied. I clean the car, go pee 18 times, read the news, walk around. I get in my own head and super anxious. Occasionally I even say "man do I even like this?", or "ugh I know I'm going to get passed at the start" or "man, these other dudes are too good". Then I get in the car and sit on the grid. Then we go out. Then the green flag waves and the intensity is nuts. And the race finishes and sometimes I even win...and I can't wait to do it again. It's completely addictive.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:12 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Behind the wheel of a race car is the only time the world makes sense to me. Seriously, when the visor goes down, and they yell green green green, my body becomes 100% alive.

I love the camaraderie, the hi-jinks, the training, the research, the technical side, the highs and lows, and everything in between!
This got me misty. Seriously, true, poetic answer.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
It's cheaper than being married.
No ****. Getting divorced also makes racing more challenging...
Old 10-05-2018, 04:34 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 263 Likes on 176 Posts

I've got this voice in my head that says GREEN, GREEN, GREEN, GREEN!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:07 PM
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 122 Posts

In the '70s, I was more interested in skiing and cycling, but when my dad asked if I'd like to rebuild an old race car he owned, I said OK. He let me drive the car and it was a lot of fun, so I signed up at Bondurants for a five day race driver course, to learn to drive better. When it was over, I bought a Datsun 510 and entered an SCCA show room stock sedan race, so I could qualify for an SCCA provisional license. At that race I saw several Porsche race cars and met Dennis Aase, who told me about a new series called IMSA. I raced the Datsun three more times then called Peter Gregg and bought his old 911 (I just saw it again under the Brumos tent at Rennsport), brought it up to current '73 IMSA specs and entered the 1973 Daytona Paul Revere 250. My co driver blew the engine and I never did a race lap.
I'll never regret taking that big leap and taking the risk to compete at a high level. I learned a lot and had a great time racing for five seasons. Racing with those '70s era IMSA competitors was really interesting and I had the satisfaction of winning some big races, including that Daytona Paul Revere race ('77). I still like skiing and cycling, but racing is the best.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:08 PM
Mark Anderson
The Parts Whisperer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 382 Likes on 182 Posts

Part of what makes winning so rewarding is that it is so difficult and for many of us, doesn't happen often. I never understood the appeal of bringing a gun to a knife fight. I'd rather fight tooth and nail for a position than walk away with a win.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:39 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

My reasons for racing have evolved through the years: from pushing myself to be better and enjoying the competition to presently more about being part of the racing community (which is my type of car enthusiasts as opposed to car show community, etc.).

One thing that has remained constant is that I still enjoy the tactical part of racing.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I race because my kids decided not to go to college.
When they change their minds, it’ll be too late- I am tacitly helping them to stick to their plans.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:01 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

No mention yet of a different type of pole....... matt must be collecting maple syrup
Old 10-08-2018, 03:01 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

I am a car nut. A passion.
That will eventually lead you to motorsports (which is not for everyone)
When i got to motorsports I enjoyed all aspects of it. (Except the cost)
I race to progress myself and my driving. I love being behind the wheel in the heat of the moment. Controlled chaos.
I have caught the competitive bug and now want to go as far as i can until i pleateau.
Putting in the work and seeing results in anything one does is satisfying.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:34 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Mark, you forgot to link to the thread which started all of this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...countdown.html
Old 10-08-2018, 11:45 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, since you mention it............. for those of you that race, how would you respond to this self proclaimed, "racing " expert's view of "why we race". Personally, i got a laugh out of this.
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...l#post15330815
So, you are going to a race where you have no chance of winning and you'd be thrilled if you finished in the middle of the pack?

Since I've never gone to a race without a chance of winning that race, I've got to ask the obvious question......Why?

And what is the thrill of being a moving chicane?

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Mark, you forgot to link to the thread which started all of this:

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...countdown.html
Old 10-09-2018, 09:44 AM
TFBoxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say one of the main reason's most of my clients race is because its escapism.

It takes them away from their stressful job and in the "moment" they're not thinking about anything else, they're 100% focused.

For me personally... I'll have to come back to you.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:12 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller

I would rather be old and poor but feel fulfilled than be old and wealthy but never to have lived a life.
Wise words. And if you can roll into the finish with all your obligations covered and just a few dollars left in the tank then you’re the ultimate winner.

Quick Reply: WHY DO YOU RACE? - A Pole and Discussion