I only race if i can have a good chance of winning
1.43%
If i cant win or podium a race i would rather just do time trial
0%
I love the competition at any and all levels
55.71%
I dont need to win to have fun
38.57%
I need to win, but if i dont, its ok ill find out how to be faster and come back and compete again
27.14%
I love the social aspect of racing
41.43%
I love going fast around other cars all running at or near their limits
34.29%
I love pushing myself and the car to it's limits
50.00%
I love the chess-like strategy of racing
38.57%
If i cant win, Iwould never want to spend the money and time to race and be mid pack
1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

WHY DO YOU RACE? - A Pole and Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 02:58 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default WHY DO YOU RACE? - A Pole and Discussion

There was someone that was questioning me of why i race, especially if i have no real chance of winning. I've had others ask me this before, including my parents, who wanted to know why I was so addicted to this sport. (my fighter / airline pilot father was confused that i would prefer driving a car vs fying a plane ).

The person that sparked me to ask this question of all the Racers here, was a little insulting in saying or askng:

"You are getting excited to go race with no chance of winning... help me understand why, as i only would race if i could win the race".

so, i thought i would ask the racer group here.

Why do you race? adrenaline from being at the edge of control with a car, the shear speeds, pushing the limits of you and the car, improving, competition with cars near you , ego, sounds , smell, victory, social...etc etc.?
This was sparked when i was planning to attend the SCCA National Championships and was doping out the competitors and found myself looking at a reasonable goal of being in the top 15 of the group. (GT2 national class in SCCA which includes '16 cup cars, nascar, transam cars, and World Challenge GT cars)
I know why i do it, but why do you. I hope all the racers here will partake. the results might be interesting .

Mark
Old 10-04-2018, 03:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Yes, that's why I race. For pole!

Seriously, there are many reasons why people race. Some race to get better, some race in competitive venues because it's a supreme test. Some, like the fellow quoted above, are looking to massage their ego.

Finally, your race is between you and the drivers around you. You can learn just as much further back as you can up front.

One of the best races I ever had was when I was on pole for a group at Lime Rock Labor Day, then moved into another group where I was front of the middle third, but had no chance to "win."

Well, initially I was mad, then resigned. But then I said, "let's do the best we can!"

I passed seven cars in six laps at Lime Rock, all cars with far quicker individual and SINGLE lap times than me in my car, but not as consistent as me. It was terrific. Race for the pleasure of racing. Exceeding expectations.

If you limit yourself to those arenas that "guarantee the win," you're not much of a racer...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-04-2018, 03:18 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Good one! I think we more than agree on all counts Peter. one of my best memories,not one of my best racing experiences was in a world challenge GT race I was at the back of the pack, ahead of a couple of cars, but battling with one of the 1st GT3 cup cars. we were nose to tail the entire race. i was trying everything to get around him, but just didnt have power to make anything stick..... i had a blast. the part that was the most gratifying, was when the race organizers came up to me and said , "you two were the race of the show. great to see" sure, we didnt win, or podium, but we had a RACE! and people noticed and enjoyed watching someone race, rather than just run away with the victory unchallenged. sure, we didnt get the prize money the podium people did, but if you look at my fun to cost ratio, i was FAR ahead of anyone there! that's one of the reasons race! Mark Anderson, whom finished in the top 10 one time, always mentions our WCGT races as some of the best times we have had in our lives. so much fun! But, both of us, in club racing, have had GREAT battles, improved with every weekend, worked on our cars to make them better and more dependable, and have enjoyed the wheel to wheel challenges and excitement that ONLY racing automobiles can bring . maybe its cheating risk, adrenaline, competition, pushing physical limits, or a host of other things that make auto racing one of the greatest sports, that doesnt purely rely on your physical condition or conditioning.

did you vote? I hope our community will .... it should be interesting to see the results. no wrong answers here.
Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, that's why I race. For pole!

Seriously, there are many reasons why people race. Some race to get better, some race in competitive venues because it's a supreme test. Some, like the fellow quoted above, are looking to massage their ego.

Finally, your race is between you and the drivers around you. You can learn just as much further back as you can up front.

One of the best races I ever had was when I was on pole for a group at Lime Rock Labor Day, then moved into another group where I was front of the middle third, but had no chance to "win."

Well, initially I was mad, then resigned. But then I said, "let's do the best we can!"

I passed seven cars in six laps at Lime Rock, all cars with far quicker individual and SINGLE lap times than me in my car, but not as consistent as me. It was terrific. Race for the pleasure of racing. Exceeding expectations.

If you limit yourself to those arenas that "guarantee the win," you're not much of a racer...
Old 10-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Primarily because it is something I have dreamed of since childhood. Something my fantasies were made of that somehow has now become a reality in my life. Then there are the personal aspects around desire, achievement (not in finishing position necessarily at all), the educational aspect, the humility of this sport, the accomplishment of hitting a TB after working up to it for days or weeks and having to set a new goal. Then you have the camaraderie, being able to share a passion with like minded nut jobs

Not to mention the adrenaline rush, finding a way to be comfortable with being uncomfortable and for me personally with all my medical challenges an outlet. Frankly (I know don't call you Frank) I'm not sure what I would do right now with everything that's transpired if I didn't have this as an end goal.

Now I am enjoying the challenges of learning new tracks, race craft, respectful driving I mean the list is almost endless. It's like a poll for why do you like sex and chocolate LOL
Old 10-04-2018, 03:34 PM
paulfdunn
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I don't race cars, but I have a long history in competitive athletics. I get the same question sometimes.

My take is that the people who say "I'd only race if I could win", have issues with insecurity. They want the affirmation that comes with winning; conversely they don't want to find out they are not as good as they (maybe) like to tell themself that they are.

Very few people can go into anything thinking them can win, at least not without losing for a long time while they develop. So the bulk of people in competition are doing it for all the aforementioned reasons: personal growth, "it's not the end point, it's the journey", to see others at their best, to try to become their best, etc.

You don't know how good a knife is, until you hone it to its sharpest. Competition is the honing stone.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:15 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 914 Posts

Because everything else is just waiting.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,287 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Behind the wheel of a race car is the only time the world makes sense to me. Seriously, when the visor goes down, and they yell green green green, my body becomes 100% alive.

I love the camaraderie, the hi-jinks, the training, the research, the technical side, the highs and lows, and everything in between!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:15 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nizer
Because everything else is just waiting.
No kidding! fortunately i have some great things to do when waiting around, but its still waiting.

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Behind the wheel of a race car is the only time the world makes sense to me. Seriously, when the visor goes down, and they yell green green green, my body becomes 100% alive.

I love the camaraderie, the hi-jinks, the training, the research, the technical side, the highs and lows, and everything in between!
That is really what i feel as well. It seems to incorporate everything that makes you feel alive . everything you say.. the people, the interaction, teh physics, the problem solving, the experimentation, the creativity, the learning, the teaching, (repeat) and the list goes on and on............it's one of the reasons i like it here on the rennlist with all you knuckleheads...... I just like talking about cars and racing!

Old 10-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

It's the last true freedom
Old 10-04-2018, 06:14 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
It's the last true freedom
Amen to that! aside from noise restrictions, it's pure, live and let live!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:02 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

3 things come to mind:

I think I've already won considering how much time, effort, and money I put into the sport. It is amazing how many grid spots up or down you go when you manipulate those 3 things. Whatever the level or grid spot there is always someone else to race and that's what makes it fun.

When Ferrari hires me for F1 I swear I will take racing seriously and I'll race for the wins.

I would rather die a do'er than an observer.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:12 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

It's cheaper than being married.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:02 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mark kibort
... help me understand why, as i only would race if i could win the race".
so, i thought i would ask the racer group here.
Your friend is naive, Pro Race Car Drivers lose many times more than they win. (Except in F1)
That is one of those questions that if you have to ask, you won't understand the answer.

I chose multiple answers in your poll because there are many reasons why I enjoy getting in a car on the race track.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:21 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian C in Az
Your friend is naive, Pro Race Car Drivers lose many times more than they win. (Except in F1)
That is one of those questions that if you have to ask, you won't understand the answer.

I chose multiple answers in your poll because there are many reasons why I enjoy getting in a car on the race track.
Thanks Brian, I agree. i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing something and out of curiosity, wanted to see what the real racers thought from the rennlist.
Yes, select as many of the options as you want.
i hope everyone votes.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:01 AM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

My answer is simple (and not one of your pole answers).

I race because I can. I have had many things happen to me in my life that should have precluded me from this activity. From a small child, I had a burning desire that living in Australia wasn't a practical option. I moved to the US for work and 'discovered' my childhood dreams. Then my father and mother had terrible health problems, my mother died, I ended up with terrible health problems and so did my wife.

So the short answer is, I do it because I can and it makes me feel alive and I realize one day I wont be able to.

I would rather be old and poor but feel fulfilled than be old and wealthy but never to have lived a life.

Quick Reply: WHY DO YOU RACE? - A Pole and Discussion