Sponsored by:

Vintage Race death at Mosport?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:53 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

Supposedly brake failure at the end of the Andretti straight... with that car he probably didn't have a chance...
Old 06-17-2018, 09:02 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Very sad. RIP.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:54 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
RIP. Very sad.
I guess the lesson to be learned is not expect 21st century crash protection standards in 1970’s race car..more so in an open wheel vintage race cars.
That's what I say to myself every time I watch a historic race with guys going at it
Old 06-18-2018, 12:02 PM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems as though it took Ratzenberger's death in 1994 for safety standards to improve.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:33 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

RIP to the driver. Never got the attraction of driving (much less racing) old (pre-80s) death-traps. I've seen people race vintage race cars where their head&shoulders stick couple of feet higher than the highest point of the car, with no side doors, and held in place by a simple lap-belt. I hope the fun and pleasure is worth the extra risk.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:53 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Always hate to hear this, nothing to add, very tragic
Old 06-19-2018, 02:07 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Very sad news - Obviously a great guy and driver. Sometimes we all forget how dangerous our sport can be especially in older technology cars
Old 06-20-2018, 12:36 AM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff was a good friend and someone I have raced with all over North America in the Radical Sportscars series. He was very talented in the car and understood not just the craft of racing but also the mechanical aspects of getting the most out of any car. He was no stranger to the podium and had numerous race wins to his name. His fitness level was outstanding regardless of age, even more impressive for a 61 year old man Jeff was someone who took his health very seriously and I enjoyed comparing notes with him on how best to grow old but stay fit and healthy as you do. Even in his last race, he was running hard at the front leading the way.

There are many many testimonials and kind words which have been posted on various social networks over the last few days by the large number of people whose lives he touched in a positive way, it really is a testament to Jeff and the man he was that so many people have offered thoughts and their own memories of him in such a positive way. Jeff was generous with his time and would help anyone out regardless of what it might be - from fixing a car to welding a chassis and everything in between including helping drivers go faster by sharing everything he knew, even with his direct competitors so he would be able to raise his own game as a result.

A true gentleman who will be dearly missed in the paddock. I cant begin to describe how close he and his family were, and how they must be feeling as this tragedy is such a shock to everyone who knew him.

May he rest in peace but keep on racing with some of the greats who went before him. Going to really miss this guy.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:41 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by FLM911
Jeff was a good friend and someone I have raced with all over North America in the Radical Sportscars series. He was very talented in the car and understood not just the craft of racing but also the mechanical aspects of getting the most out of any car. He was no stranger to the podium and had numerous race wins to his name. His fitness level was outstanding regardless of age, even more impressive for a 61 year old man Jeff was someone who took his health very seriously and I enjoyed comparing notes with him on how best to grow old but stay fit and healthy as you do. Even in his last race, he was running hard at the front leading the way.

There are many many testimonials and kind words which have been posted on various social networks over the last few days by the large number of people whose lives he touched in a positive way, it really is a testament to Jeff and the man he was that so many people have offered thoughts and their own memories of him in such a positive way. Jeff was generous with his time and would help anyone out regardless of what it might be - from fixing a car to welding a chassis and everything in between including helping drivers go faster by sharing everything he knew, even with his direct competitors so he would be able to raise his own game as a result.

A true gentleman who will be dearly missed in the paddock. I cant begin to describe how close he and his family were, and how they must be feeling as this tragedy is such a shock to everyone who knew him.

May he rest in peace but keep on racing with some of the greats who went before him. Going to really miss this guy.

It is sad to hear the passing of any of our track friends but it hits even closer when it is one of friends on Rennlist. My prayers and thoughts are with Jeff and his family during this time but they also go out to you FLM911. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your close friend.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Sad news. RIP Jeff
Old 06-21-2018, 09:34 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 613 Likes on 300 Posts

Did not know Jeff but may he RIP whenever we lose a fellow racer doing what we all love there is a void in our world and in our hearts.
Rich
Old 06-22-2018, 05:27 PM
FLM911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
It is sad to hear the passing of any of our track friends but it hits even closer when it is one of friends on Rennlist. My prayers and thoughts are with Jeff and his family during this time but they also go out to you FLM911. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your close friend.
Seth, thank you. It has been nothing short of incredible the number of people who have offered their thoughts and reflections based on their time spent with Jeff. Heck of a guy, truly.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:16 AM
seanseidman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was nice to see tribute to Jeff Green by entire Indy Light field at RA.

Victor Franzone, Race 2 winner at RA was brought to tears during his post race interview as Jeff had supported him, "without him I would not be here".
Old 06-28-2018, 07:13 PM
Jim Devine
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Very sad, vintage racing is supposed to be fun, but they are still dangerous. The Lola T300 is about the least safe car out there- the driver basically sits on the tub, not in it- in a picture the tub is the unpainted area, the rest is non structural bodywork.
Thoughts for his family and friends...

Quick Reply: Vintage Race death at Mosport?