Sponsored by:

PCA Requires H&NR in DE cars w Harness Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:32 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 706 Likes on 339 Posts

I guess PCA DE Registrars are going to need to nquire about student's car equipment before assigning an instructor that way they will be sure that pairing is 5/6 point harness equipped cars to an instructor with correct HANS.Still major issue currently are crazy fast stock DE cars with stock belts.
Rich
Old 04-29-2018, 08:35 AM
Sven76
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I'm a newbie at this, but why not take them out in "their" car?
^^
That is what instructors do over here in Europe. I book a lot of 1:1 tuition with pro instructors and they always sit on my passenger seat or actually in the driver seat (mostly for reference setting so that we can compare data inbetween stints). Never sat in an instructor car, they typically don’t even have a sport car as they get paid driving race cars...

Idea of H&NS system grows on me. I have the OEM clubsport cage, 918 buckets and 6-point harness in my Cayman GT4, so HANS not ideal in side impact situations as the seats are no race seats (and race seats are not street legal over here), so will go with a Simpson Hybrid.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:01 AM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Horizontally Opposed Man
Does this mean that other HNR besides HANS that are rule compliant will be accepted?
That is correct.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:17 AM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
This sounds reasonable to me. New auto helmets have the anchors built in and by the time someone has made the investment in seats and harnesses, the HNR is a reasonable requirement.

sa2015 helmets have the M6 nutwashers installed to accept head and neck restraint anchors but most of them do not have the anchors included

another bug will be that each brand of head and neck restraint has their own proprietary helmet hardware so for example, you cannot use Hans anchors with a Necksgen or a Schroth SHR Flex.

would be a good idea for each region to have a couple helmets equipped with head and neck restraints to use as loaners.

the Schroth SHR Flex or Necksgen would be good alternatives as they are not angle specific. The Hans is angle specific so if you get a student or driver over 200 lb or barrel chested in a porsche, they actually need a hans 30 instead of a model 20 which is the hans III design. the wrong device will be uncomfortable if it's the incorrect angle.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 978 Posts

Is PCA going to specify which H&NR to use? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a number of H&NR's don't address the increased risk of lateral neck injuries introduced when employing 5/6-point harnesses without a HALO seat.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HANS

Originally Posted by jsabatini
No problem with the rule, but it will limit the number of instructors who can instruct in a car with harnesses. Not all of us have HNR.
So if you have instructed a student who had race seats and 6 point harnesses you will be much safer going forward. You are right that instructor student assignments may have to made according to the equipment of the instructor.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:28 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by cmac
And no, driving the student's car is no solution
Why? Please do not take this as challenging your knowledge or experience, I am just trying to understand.

As a green student, I am largely on information overload anyway. Adding in abilities, braking points, turn in points, track out points, etc of a totally different car from mine, likely on very different tires, suspension, brakes, etc, seems to me to just confuse things, and at worse lull me into a false sense of security that I can the same limits on my car (15 yrs old, on street tires and brakes). I guess I might understand it better for advanced level students, but not greens, or even yellows.
Old 04-29-2018, 11:35 AM
Thundermoose
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
Why? Please do not take this as challenging your knowledge or experience, I am just trying to understand.

As a green student, I am largely on information overload anyway. Adding in abilities, braking points, turn in points, track out points, etc of a totally different car from mine, likely on very different tires, suspension, brakes, etc, seems to me to just confuse things, and at worse lull me into a false sense of security that I can the same limits on my car (15 yrs old, on street tires and brakes). I guess I might understand it better for advanced level students, but not greens, or even yellows.
One of the downsides of a instructor driving a green students car anything above 6/10 is that the student may go out and try to replicate with out the experience and do something silly. All of the good instructors are able to communicate 90% plus of what a new student needs through oral communication. Parade laps are a good place to point out reference points.

At intermediate level driving right side with instructor or experienced driver can be very helpful.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT

Are you purchasing track insurance for your car? Even the best instructor can't save a car in certain situations (fluids, mechanical, etc.). Will you be bold enough to admit that the driver isn't at fault, even a little bit, when your car gets wadded up from something you may not understand (like having never driven through coolant)? Human nature is going to place liability against the person behind the wheel.

Personally I am okay driving a student's car for orientation laps but beyond that I generally won't drive their car in an active session unless they have track insurance and what I am showing them is unique to their car (had a student with a Audi S6 this past weekend, the car has understeer issues that he needed to understand). Unlike the instructors with full cage race cars I still have my 3 point as an option so I can take a student out and show them more general things.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:44 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 97 Posts
Default H&N

Good - As an instructor I have been so tired of telling students with full belts to get a HANS only to be told "maybe for Christmas". I tell them its not a luxury. Get one or you may get hurt or worse when the only thing moving with a 6 point is your head. Its just common sense. And apparently that was not enough.

But JSCOTT82 makes a good point and I don't know a sensible answer to that one.

Originally Posted by Dr911
Don't know if this has already been posted here. If so mods please delete.

"PCA Chief Driving Instructors and Region Officials,

The number one priority of PCA's HPDE Program is track safety. A core belief in the DE program is that a person can purchase a stock Porsche and take it to the track for an HPDE weekend, after an appropriate tech inspection of course.

Some people choose to modify their cars to increase performance and others to increase safety. A popular modification made to track cars is the addition of a multi-point harness system. Starting January 1, 2019, the DE Minimum Standards will be expanded to state that if a driver uses a harness system, he or she will ALSO be required to utilize a head and neck restraint system, commonly referred to as a HANS device.

A head and neck restraint device is an integral part of the harness system. Because the rule of equal restraint always applies, if a driver uses a harness system there must also be a harness system available and used by the passenger. Thus, both the driver and passenger will be required to use a HANS device. We highly encourage all DE participants to not wait until 2019 to comply with this new minimum standard. Head and neck restraint system devices are now more affordable and easily purchased online.

The DE Committee's decision was made over the course of two years after careful review of options, conversations with DE participants and discussion of a variety of perspectives. Please pass on this information to your DE drivers and instructors as soon as possible to avoid any confusion.

As a reminder, members of the DE Committee can be found here: https://www.pca.org/national-driver-education-committee

Thank you for all your time and effort to make your region's DE program a safe and successful one. If you have feedback, please let me know!

Catch you in the Curves!

John Krecek
Great Plains Region - Porsche Club of America
Chief Driving Instructor
PCA National DE Committee Chair"
Old 04-29-2018, 04:40 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I can tell you with absolute certainty that our little region up here in the far NE couldn't shoulder that expense.
I have no dog in this hunt.....but it seems like it could be a good sponsorship opportunity for helmet & HNR suppliers or manufacturers. Provide a handful of units to the regions with big stickers on them advertising the brand of equipment or the supplier itself. Good chance that students who are in the market for upgrading equipment would be heavily influenced and drive preference.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:03 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts

I don't drive students cars, no way, no how. Too much liability if something happens. Anything can happen on track and I'm quite sure I don't want to pay for a students wadded up car.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:16 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,445 Likes on 1,949 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
I don't drive students cars, no way, no how. Too much liability if something happens. Anything can happen on track and I'm quite sure I don't want to pay for a students wadded up car.
I shy away from driving their car as well. Just too many variables and I don't want to wind up having someone thinking I owe them a car.

In order to drive in my car, which I have always preferred, they will have to borrow a HANS device as I have only 5 point belts in the race car. If I bring my 944 it still has the three points but also 5 points installed.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

The issue with driving students cars, for me anyway, goes beyond wadding it up. Just the little things, like hitting a bird or chipping the windshield, could be blamed on me. I don't go there.

I knew a guy that hired a pro to drive his car, then bad mouthed him that drove it too "hard".
Old 04-29-2018, 08:53 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Thanks. I can appreciate the liability issue.

Quick Reply: PCA Requires H&NR in DE cars w Harness Jan 2019