Sponsored by:

PCA Requires H&NR in DE cars w Harness Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default PCA Requires H&NR in DE cars w Harness Jan 2019

Don't know if this has already been posted here. If so mods please delete.

"PCA Chief Driving Instructors and Region Officials,

The number one priority of PCA's HPDE Program is track safety. A core belief in the DE program is that a person can purchase a stock Porsche and take it to the track for an HPDE weekend, after an appropriate tech inspection of course.

Some people choose to modify their cars to increase performance and others to increase safety. A popular modification made to track cars is the addition of a multi-point harness system. Starting January 1, 2019, the DE Minimum Standards will be expanded to state that if a driver uses a harness system, he or she will ALSO be required to utilize a head and neck restraint system, commonly referred to as a HANS device.

A head and neck restraint device is an integral part of the harness system. Because the rule of equal restraint always applies, if a driver uses a harness system there must also be a harness system available and used by the passenger. Thus, both the driver and passenger will be required to use a HANS device. We highly encourage all DE participants to not wait until 2019 to comply with this new minimum standard. Head and neck restraint system devices are now more affordable and easily purchased online.

The DE Committee's decision was made over the course of two years after careful review of options, conversations with DE participants and discussion of a variety of perspectives. Please pass on this information to your DE drivers and instructors as soon as possible to avoid any confusion.

As a reminder, members of the DE Committee can be found here: https://www.pca.org/national-driver-education-committee

Thank you for all your time and effort to make your region's DE program a safe and successful one. If you have feedback, please let me know!

Catch you in the Curves!

John Krecek
Great Plains Region - Porsche Club of America
Chief Driving Instructor
PCA National DE Committee Chair"
Old 04-28-2018, 11:33 AM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Interesting...

I agree with the idea, but not sure how this will work..

I have a race car with Race seats and harnesses on both sides. Am I now required to provide each student with a hams and helmet( since most students helmets don't have Hans anchors)..
Old 04-28-2018, 11:40 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 755 Posts

Good!

Jscott, no. But it might limit to whom you can give a ride.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

This sounds reasonable to me. New auto helmets have the anchors built in and by the time someone has made the investment in seats and harnesses, the HNR is a reasonable requirement.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:40 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

I agree.. for those that choose to invest in harnesses a HANS should be part of the sysytem. Totally get that part.

But for green students especially, going for a ride to see the line, and feel how hard you can push. A ride with thier instructor is invaluable. IMHO.... So now we are going to overload the few instructors with street cars giving rides?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:47 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Many regions offer loaner helmets to their first time participants, so it is possible they could purchase a few head and neck devices to loan. Maybe regions can even work together on a group buy to reduce the costs.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:47 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Thinking about it. Can we offer an exception and allow instructors to take students out in green (forcing 5/10th speed) without HNR?
Old 04-28-2018, 01:57 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Perhaps going out on a limb here I think most of us know this is the right thing to do. BSF risk is real and HANS device mitigates it. I feel as naked as I do in a street car without belts when I'm strapped into a 5/6 point harness without a HANS. I've never felt all that comfortable with a passenger strapped in to a 5/6 point harness without one while I'm driving. People who know me know I'm a professional tighwad, but the $500 or so is well spent and with the range of cost of a set of fairly cheap tires.

The real problem with this rule is dealing with newbie students and the desire to be able to give those students rides in prepped instructor cars. To me the solution isn't all that complicated. Our region already has a couple of loaner helmets - those helmets could have HANS anchors as well as a handful of loaner HANS devices for rides. HANS anchors themselves are inexpensive and can be installed easily because the required helmets already have the holes/hardware in them. I don't think loaner HANS devices for instructor rides is out of the question. To keep them from going away, paint them some hideous color.

Once somebody participates in this hobby for a length of time, the cost of safety gear is relatively cheap compared to tires, hotels, track fees, fuel and all the other costs of participation. If someone can't truly afford a HANS, they can't afford this sport.

Just my $0.02.

-Mike
Old 04-28-2018, 02:25 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

Once somebody participates in this hobby for a length of time, the cost of safety gear is relatively cheap compared to tires, hotels, track fees, fuel and all the other costs of participation. If someone can't truly afford a HANS, they can't afford this sport.
+1

Instead of one more event, or one more set of tires, sit one out and buy the proper safety gear. It's that simple.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:27 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Driver8
Many regions offer loaner helmets to their first time participants, so it is possible they could purchase a few head and neck devices to loan. Maybe regions can even work together on a group buy to reduce the costs.
Maybe PCA at a national level can provide them since it's their mandate? I'm sure buying a few hundred at once would have much more buying power than a couple of regions. Plus national has the funds to do it.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:49 PM
Driver8
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
Thinking about it. Can we offer an exception and allow instructors to take students out in green (forcing 5/10th speed) without HNR?
PCA would not allow an exception to a Minimum Standard.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:22 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Maybe PCA at a national level can provide them since it's their mandate? I'm sure buying a few hundred at once would have much more buying power than a couple of regions. Plus national has the funds to do it.
National mandates up-to-date helmets. Should they provide them also? It's not a real burden on most regions, and it is a policy that makes sense in my opinion. How many of you who use a HANS would ride in a car with harnesses and no HANS? You can hit an oil or coolant slick, and auger in to a wall at 5/10's. I keep a spare HANS and helmet in my trailer. Regions can keep a handful of spare HANS/Helmet combos for use for rides.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:31 PM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree it's a good decision and we can figure out a solution for loaners. A ride with an instructor is very valuable and loaners would take care of that. My one issue is the requirement that you replace your belts every five years, while I've seen fourty year old stock belts that have been sitting outside in the sun while my car sits year round in a garage. Of course I'd replace them if I had an accident, but it seems crazy to let people drive with stock belts in dubious condition, while I'm strapped down in perfectly good belts with a Hans on both me and any instructor riding with me.
How about the restraints for stock belts? Do they work as well as the ones for harnesses?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:34 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mglobe
National mandates up-to-date helmets. Should they provide them also? It's not a real burden on most regions, and it is a policy that makes sense in my opinion. How many of you who use a HANS would ride in a car with harnesses and no HANS? You can hit an oil or coolant slick, and auger in to a wall at 5/10's. I keep a spare HANS and helmet in my trailer. Regions can keep a handful of spare HANS/Helmet combos for use for rides.
I agree it's a good idea and a good requirement. I disagree that's it is an easy expense for the regions. I can think of 4 regions right away that have a DE program at break even or a small loss. Adding $1,000 burden to them is material, IMHO.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:07 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I agree it's a good idea and a good requirement. I disagree that's it is an easy expense for the regions. I can think of 4 regions right away that have a DE program at break even or a small loss. Adding $1,000 burden to them is material, IMHO.
I can tell you with absolute certainty that our little region up here in the far NE couldn't shoulder that expense.

Quick Reply: PCA Requires H&NR in DE cars w Harness Jan 2019