Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People who overstate their driving ability. The reality of correcting oversteer.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 04:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
I suppose just about any oversteer is technically saveable if you can beat the car's rotation rate with your steering before you hit max lock.. I've talked to drift car guys that use fast racks with extra steering angle to make it easier.

There is a trick that may help if you notice your steering isn't fast enough though. If you use throttle combined with hard brakes you can lock up your fronts while the engine power counteracts rear brakes to keeps the rear tires rolling. This can save you from a seemingly unsaveable spin at the cost of possibly flat spotting your fronts. I remember seeing a video of an F1 driver doing this. I want to say it was Mark Webber, but I'm not positive. I'll see if I can find the video.
that is a VERY specific condition of oversteer that is quite rare. usuallly, the rears are spinning and have lost their slip angle ...more throttle (faster wheel spin) decreases traction . this can be seen by attemping a 180 degree maneuver.... brakes or increased throttle will often increase the rate of rotation.. if you can time both feed in , for a oversteer condition, and dont have abs as to lock the front wheels, you can sometimes stop the rotation. But, again, this is specific condition......advising this for any oversteer condition is quite dangerous. a normal power on oversteer condition can be controled by matching steering inputs opposite to the rear end, with /or reduced throttle.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sir5n

tank slapper is motor bike talk for when the handle bars break loose and go back and forth violently.

not really.......... but close..... in car talk, it then transfers to the over-steer that is over corrected and continues in the opposite direction, and then continues the cycle until it ends up in a full spin generally.
its not the handle bars "breaking loose" its the entire instability of the motorcycle , front and rear, out of sync. it's very analogous to pilot induced oscillation (plane bouncing up and down on a landing approach).
Old 02-05-2018, 05:42 PM
ssburns
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hf1

That was a great video. Here's another epic save:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbpzslRUipY
Good thing he had both hands on the wheel, unlike in the prior banking.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamBrouillard
Found a video of Max Verstappen doing the throttle+ brake save. It's at 2 min. It's in the rain so works really well and no flat spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOq1NZ-7eSI

If you are talking about this, it is a very specific type of save.. basically both feet in, and wait it out.. the dynamics is that the front that would normally allow for the rear to come around, gets locked up and washes out forward, taking the rear momentum component out of equation. many times this helps (both feet in at a point of not being able to save through correction) from completing a spin . the best way is to have the steering input keep from getting to that point by matching the rear of the car's movement.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:49 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a little drift I did through turn seven at Sears Point. Completely unintentional but by that point in the event the Hoosiers were overheating. It was in excess of 120 degrees that day. It's all about practice on the skid pad and applying that knowledge in safe corners.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here in Texas, where animal husbandry is a popular college major; oversteer and understeer have some very different meanings
In this context, I am definitely going for oversteer....
Old 02-05-2018, 09:53 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Topical thread. We're taking a bunch of guys ice racing this friday

If you don't have ice or snow covered back roads (with runoff) then +993 for rally school.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:11 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morsini
Here's a little drift I did through turn seven at Sears Point. Completely unintentional but by that point in the event the Hoosiers were overheating. It was in excess of 120 degrees that day. It's all about practice on the skid pad and applying that knowledge in safe corners.

https://youtu.be/yYrauZb7wCk
That was a perfect catch and correction. of course, it was driver induced to start overheated tires or not.. ......and we have all been there. But the correction was perfectly caught and the release was timed well too as there was no oscillation.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:30 PM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Dirtfish
Team O’ Neil
Don’t ignore the fantastic winter driving programs in Canada, Colorado and Finland.
Originally Posted by audipwr1
Either O'Neil or Dirtfish will get it done
Thank you both for the suggestions!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:24 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
This was amazing. Why did he straighten the wheels during the slide.
He knew that if he kept it opposite locked, the car would pendulum the other way?
Old 02-07-2018, 02:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sugarwood
This was amazing. Why did he straighten the wheels during the slide.
He knew that if he kept it opposite locked, the car would pendulum the other way?
actually, at that point, when locked , there is not much the wheels being angled can or will do. however, feeling the reduction of front grip being locked, allows the rear end to catch up , straightening the wheels before the chassis is pointed straight, allows for an instant recovery (by brake release) when the car ends up being pointed straight..... (easier than timing it) however, if the front wheels were rolling, this would be a different set of conditions.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:29 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

3) Internet advice
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
All men think they are great at 3 things..
1) Sex
2) Driving
3)
I thought I was just good at driving - going to let me wife know I'm good at sex as well!
Old 02-16-2018, 12:49 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

View some old videos of the Ayrton Senna's racing in the rain. At the speed he was going, he absolutely drove his car to the limit....and his car control of recovery is miles ahead of everybody during that era.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Jerrygreene
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 37 Posts

3) hand brake turns

Quick Reply: People who overstate their driving ability. The reality of correcting oversteer.