Sponsored by:

PCA Challenge Series

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up PCA Challenge Series

The new PCA Club Racing Challenge Series rules and venues has been posted on the PCA website. Go to Club Racing and click on 2004 Club Racing Challenge Series. Registration form is downloadable from this site also. Looks like it will be fun and should help boost car count at some venues.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:55 PM
78SC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I like the challenge series concept but I looked over the rules on the website and was a little disapointed. The "big races"--Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Road America, Sumitt Point etc are not on the list of races for the challenge series. I would have to travel all over the US in order to get the 5 races done that the entry fee covers. I am missing something here?
Old 12-10-2003, 05:30 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you are missing something. There will be 10 Challenge races. Only 6 count for the points. You are required to pre-register for 5 from that list. Of the list, only 4 need to count toward your total. Re-read it, it's all there. You can race at Watkins Glen and use the results of that Sprint race for the total.

So yes you will need to travel to make 4 from the list, but you will have races at the big venues too that count.

Last edited by JC in NY; 12-10-2003 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:39 PM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

When the series was first proposed it was based on the idea that a cup car series could help build car count at those venues that were not getting high car counts for whatever reason. The way the rules and venues 'shook out' it appears that they have tried to spread these smaller attended venues across the USA. The larger venues you mention can be still be used for points but only your two best, along with your 4 best out of the 5 you pick from the designated 10. i.e. I think they did a reasonable job in accomplishing the goal they set out to do and in making the tows somewhat equitable.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Old 12-10-2003, 06:06 PM
RTP356
Instructor

I was excited about the Cup Series when I heard about it last year. Unfortunately, the way the rules have been written and the races that are on the list to choose from it looks like it is going to be an East Coast only series.

Those of us on the West Coast only have 3 of the 10 qualified races to choose from. If I was to participate the organizers would have accomplished their goal because I would have gone to Pueblo and Phoenix - two venues I probably would have missed otherwise. But if I went to those races and to California Speedway I am still left with a minimum of two long hauls back east to meet the minimum number of races required. I am sorry, but if I am going through all that time and effort I am not going to go back east to one of the smaller venues, I am going to Watkins Glenn or Road America.

Those on the East Coast clearly have it much easier with 7 of the 10 qualifying races to choose from. Maybe for 2005 the organizers will address the geographical inequities of the current format.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:24 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think another reason that they choose not to use the big venues as Challenge groups is because at the big races there are already so many Cup cars that it is not necessary. At the smaller races there may not be as many Cups so they have an opportunity to make the special Challenge racegroup.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:58 PM
78SC
Instructor

Reading over the rules again it looks like I would have to pay the entry fee for all five races even if I can only attend 2 or 3. I think with only two races out of the "big venue" races counting towards the points it will be tough to get the 6 races without lots of travel. Carolina and Beaverun are the only two that are close to the Washington DC area. I was planning on racing Sebring, Watkins Glen, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio and Sumit Point but could only use two of those for the points. Guess I will have to skip the challenge series or decide to rack up some serious tow milage!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:09 PM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I was excitied about the prospect of a spec type venue. Two problems, t first, I thought PCA should evened out the cars through adding weight to the new cars instead of asking me to spend the money to update my car. It would have been easier and it would be a less expensive proposition.

Second, let the racers race 10 races of their choice. The Cups are coming out to all the tracks and attendance should not be a consideration.

If we, in PCA, are going to spend the money to update the cars and travel, I persoanlly would rather go racing in the SCCA GT2 class and have the opportunity to run for a National Title.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by RTP356
Those on the East Coast clearly have it much easier with 7 of the 10 qualifying races to choose from. Maybe for 2005 the organizers will address the geographical inequities of the current format.
I don't see how this line-up favors the east coast, at least not the part that I live on. The mileages below are calculated from the DC area.

Phoenix International (AZ - 2350 miles)
*Carolina MS Park (SC - 460 miles)
Las Vegas Speedway (NV - 2410 miles)
Mid America MS Park (IA - 1155 miles)
*Gingerman Raceway (MI - 650 miles)
*Putnam Park (IN - 625 miles)
Brainerd International (MN - 1240 miles)
*BeaveRun MS Complex (PA - 270 miles)
Pueblo MS Park (NM - 1688 miles)
No-Problem Raceway (LA - 1145 miles)

Only the four astericked tracks are within a day's tow for me and two of these 4 are borderline.

Karl
Old 12-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Bruce P
Rennlist Member

If you plot the 10 races on a map of the USA it should be clear that the west coast has longer tows. The racers in the NW have really long tows. You calculated the tows to all the tracks from your location but to get an honest assessment I think you need to calculate the distances others that live in California, Washington, Oregon and Florida will have to travel and compare to yours. Realizing that Club Racing had to pick venues around 'where the tracks are' and trying to build car counts I think they did a pretty good job
Old 12-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

As a non cup car owner, my complaint is ,2 of my local races lose the enduros to host the cup car series (Gingerman and Putnam) I dont know how many of the other venues around the country are losing the 2nd race of the weekend to host the cups...
Old 12-11-2003, 12:59 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 14hrs

From DFW to:
Phoenix 1099.55 miles~20hrs
CMS 1045.28 miles~20hrs
LV 1263.21 miles~25hrs
Mid America 674.34 miles~13hrs
Gingerman 1026.08 miles~20hrs
Putnam Park 837.41 miles~17hrs
Brainerd 1155.30 miles~23hrs
Beaver Run 1192.21 miles~24hrs
Pueblo 728.46 miles~14.6hrs
NPR Total Distance: 472.04 miles~9.5hrs

Brutal is all I have to say. I really want this to work..I am really bummin in the logistics right now...

Last edited by Glen; 12-11-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:14 AM
Glen
Race Car

There is really only one that is a day tow for me...perhaps they would consider adding more small tracks or allowing more big track races to count...I also want to be out there with a bunch of cars 10-15 in a group is not exciting as a racer...Eric's point is also valid, does his local race get the revenue to make up for the lost Enduro? I want this series badly, bought the car for it etc...Surely they will revise it some before the start. I think it would help if everyone considering running would post the mileage from their home here on the board then we may have something to work with as far as modifying to fill in the holes and inequities.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Glen
Race Car

For us in Texas if they could add Hallett and TWS then it all of a sudden becomes very doable for example. Or perhaps they make it where only 3 of the 10 have to be done and 4 of the bigs count...just a few thoughts.

Quick Reply: PCA Challenge Series