Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is PCA always this crass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 05:17 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm about 1/2 way through that video. Anyone else see the problem or is it just me?
Old 09-26-2017, 05:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Best part of the video: "can you pay for that $240,000 race car?"

"Yes"

Pow!!!
Old 09-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here in Texas we have huge female DE participation, and growing. It's fantastic.

Some context here: the Wolf was indeed driven by the track owner. I know him well. He mandates in all contracts to rent his track that he is allowed free reign. He can come and go on track as he pleases, even in a race. He can also buzz the track in his helicopter, while cars are on track. Even in a race. And he regularly does. And he does not like it when people complain about his behavior such as not giving a point by.

And the bake check was special
Sounds like the owner is the problem.

PCA needed to mention the possibility that he would be on track and tell the drivers what kind of car and how to handle it.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here in Texas we have huge female DE participation, and growing. It's fantastic.

Some context here: the Wolf was indeed driven by the track owner. I know him well. He mandates in all contracts to rent his track that he is allowed free reign. He can come and go on track as he pleases, even in a race. He can also buzz the track in his helicopter, while cars are on track. Even in a race. And he regularly does. And he does not like it when people complain about his behavior such as not giving a point by.

And the bake check was special
That doesn't sound safe?

No one complained about him. They did say to give points in the meeting... Never said anything about except the owner. They should probably say that.
The problem was with how the instrctor talked to people. People who paid for high performance driving education and improvement.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:49 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Streak

PCA needed to mention the possibility that he would be on track and tell the drivers what kind of car and how to handle it.

I agree. No one knew. His track, his rules. Fine. Just let paying customers know.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:50 PM
PLNewman
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 67 Posts

Make them all drive with three pedals and the problem resolves itself.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:54 PM
Trouble!
Advanced

I heard that before.
and it didn't end well.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

And the "Do you know who I am?" "I'm the boss man." approach is almost comical. Apparently he's the track owner's toady.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Our region, GGR, in Nor Cal is a class act. We have several women drivers and more this year than I'd seen before. I love having more women involved. I hope to involve my daughter when she's ready and she goes to most of my events with me. It's great for her to see women involved in the fun. The events are very inviting and well run.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:24 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Mara85255
I was at a Porsche Club of America event in Las Vegas this past weekend.

I was with a big group of friends and my boyfriend, from Arizona.

I could not believe how unprofessionally PCA was run.

In the driver's meeting, the chief instructor BERATED several drivers.

Calling them morons for not wearing a racing suit... but then saying it was OK if all they had was a long sleve t-shirt... What?

Called out one driver, who all my friends said did nothing wrong, an idiot.

Stated that all the guys there had high testosterone, and oh, by the way, the women driver's must have high testosterone too. Seriously? I have to have abnormally high testosterone to know how to drive a car fast?? Could you be a little more sexist? I didn't know this kind of boys club still exists. No wonder very very few women were out their driving.

One of my friends posted some in-car video, crazy how the PCA talks to Porsche owners and paying customers:

https://youtu.be/3FWnJKgkbe4

Is this normal? Is this how PCA plans to get women involved?
Originally Posted by Streak
Sounds like the owner is the problem.

I went to Pahrump when it just opened in 2004 for a motorcycle no-sessions track day. This was when you had to cross the front straight in order to get to the pits. If you were late, you had to wait until noon when they closed the track or when someone crashed and they had to go pick him/her up. There were no facilities, just a open black top as your pit area.

At one point, the owner banned all motorcycles from his track. From what I gather, it was an issue between the motorcycle track org and the owner. So being the nice owner he is, all motorcycles were banned.

As an owner and someone on the actual race track, he should oblige by the passing rules just like everyone else. I didn't recall him pointing to let him pass. Gunning it on the straight and parking it on the turns and minions were all scared to **** him off.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

But I agree: the condescending attitude of the organizers is highly disturbing
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Also, why the hell is he giving passenger rides on a hot lap. Ih the guy owns it, can't he do it anytime he wants?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:29 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

My experience with the TX PCA regions is nothing like this - it has always been friendly and professional.

I will admit there is an occasional bias here and there WRT to women. I've never understood it myself. In my experience being assigned a female student is almost a relief as I've never had one scare me or be a red-mister. All of mine have been good students a few have been hella-fast as well. Not to completely dis the guys, but I've had a few of those that required the 2x4 and choke chain approach to keep them safe on the track and that is a lot of work.

-Mike
Old 09-26-2017, 06:30 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

Taking Mara's description of the driver's meeting in the first post as accurate, in nearly 40 years of PCA membership and belonging to multiple regions over the years, I have never experienced that kind of talking down, berating, etc. in any PCA event. I really think it must have something to do with that region, track and personnel. Certainly the "talking to" the driver received at the end of the session was very unprofessional. If I had that kind of experience in an event, regardless of the sanctioning body, it would be my first and last time participating with that region.

Sorry you had that kind of experience. It was definitely the exception rather than the rule.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:47 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You will find a much nicer group at the AZ DE events.
Unfortunately there is no racing at any of the AZ events.

Quick Reply: Is PCA always this crass?