Sponsored by:

Is PCA always this crass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is PCA always this crass?

I was at a Porsche Club of America event in Las Vegas this past weekend.

I was with a big group of friends and my boyfriend, from Arizona.

I could not believe how unprofessionally PCA was run.

In the driver's meeting, the chief instructor BERATED several drivers.

Calling them morons for not wearing a racing suit... but then saying it was OK if all they had was a long sleve t-shirt... What?

Called out one driver, who all my friends said did nothing wrong, an idiot.

Stated that all the guys there had high testosterone, and oh, by the way, the women driver's must have high testosterone too. Seriously? I have to have abnormally high testosterone to know how to drive a car fast?? Could you be a little more sexist? I didn't know this kind of boys club still exists. No wonder very very few women were out their driving.

One of my friends posted some in-car video, crazy how the PCA talks to Porsche owners and paying customers:

Is this normal? Is this how PCA plans to get women involved?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

No it's not

At all
Old 09-26-2017, 04:22 PM
JP66
Burning Brakes

Received 142 Likes on 70 Posts

I am certain there will be many, many people who chime in, but I can assure you none of the PCA events in the Northeast that I have attended have ever been anything like what you experienced.. No one wears a fire suit, women are especially warmly welcomed as bringing diversity, no one is ever berated, and everyone welcomes novice drivers as we all know that's where the future of PCA Club DEs lie.

I hope there is another PCA club in your area you can try, and I'm sorry to hear of your experience.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:29 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

I was just a guest, new to the car scene. They have wanted me to take some track lessons, one of the girlfriends was there doing the yellow courses.

I wasn't impressed. My friends say the AZ PCA is much better, one of them instructors there, but wow....
Old 09-26-2017, 04:33 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Never been treated badly by PCA officials in 27 years doing DEs in the Northeast and Florida. Individual behaviors vary but always professional and never heard name calling. Watched the 20 min video of the session and saw nothing warranting a black flag or that discussion shown at the end of this posted video. The GT car was clearly faster than the LMP car and should have been allowed to pass. Unfortunate for PCA and the driver.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:37 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 956 Likes on 427 Posts

that video is quite odd. Hard to believe someone would be chastised twice for simply following someone waiting for a point by. That happens at every DE, whether PCA or otherwise. Would be interesting to see the in-car video while tailing the Track Owner. There's always 2 parts to a story --not saying there is here-- just curious. If you drive in what is considered an unsafe manner at any DE, you will get called in and talked to. the whole "track owner doesn't give point by's" is really odd though... would hate to be in his/her run group if he/she is quite slow!

In my experience, PCA folks are generally the nicest folks who run DEs. I've always been impressed by how kind and generous these folks are with their time, no matter what region is putting on the event. Perhaps a hot day in the desert with short fuses all around? However this experience is far different from any PCA event I've been to.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

We watched the video that night at the hotel room. Everyone was like, WHAT?

The driver was fine with the black flag, but jeez, just tell him "hey, FYI, that car is the track owner, just give him a little space, he is taking passengers for rides." Fine, then done....

However, the next morning, the PCA chief spend a lot of time in the driver's meeting berating the driver... and referring to him as an idiot.

Ridiculous. The guy happens to be a physician, saves lives for a living, is super sweet and jovial, and does all kinds of things for charity. The farthest thing from an idiot.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Terribly mismanaged.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:50 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

Here is the video of the session:
Old 09-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Not like that in my PCA chapter (San Diego). In fact at the last Chuckwalla event I went to, in the drivers clinic the female students outnumbered the men. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:52 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is at Spring Mountain that allows occasional clubs to have events at their awesome facility. These events usually also include SM club members. I did not attend but did inquire previously and was told its strictly a DE events with point by's only. There would be no open run groups. There seems to be a lot of frustration in the voice of the track officials, seems to me cars on track forgot / ignored the point by rule. All you have to do is back off, make a gap and then go for it. I believe there is more to the story. The POC has an annual race at this facility and we have always been treated well by SM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the berating in public is not acceptable, if the track organization was not happy with a driver, just ask them to go home.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:57 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

I was at the driver's meeting. The instructor that AM made as ALL do something he called the Captain Morgan pose.

Left arm up pointing to the right, lifting up right foot, to give point-bys on the right. Everyone wsa told this. Can only pass with a point, and only in four areas on the track. Otherwise no passing, hence he didn't just go for it. Later in the day, he did a much faster lap when he clear traffic.

Spring Mountain was amazing. Really cool, a little bit in the middle of nowhere, but we stayed in Vegas so that was fun.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Mara85255
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Cory M
Not like that in my PCA chapter (San Diego). In fact at the last Chuckwalla event I went to, in the drivers clinic the female students outnumbered the men. Don't let one bad apple spoil the bunch.
Need to maybe try that group.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Here in Texas we have huge female DE participation, and growing. It's fantastic.

Some context here: the Wolf was indeed driven by the track owner. I know him well. He mandates in all contracts to rent his track that he is allowed free reign. He can come and go on track as he pleases, even in a race. He can also buzz the track in his helicopter, while cars are on track. Even in a race. And he regularly does. And he does not like it when people complain about his behavior such as not giving a point by.

And the bake check was special

Quick Reply: Is PCA always this crass?