Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find your (and your cars) limit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 05:40 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

You can always consider using the motorcycling technique of a false late apex. If you shoot for a late apex you've effectively built a safety margin in if you overdrive the car. That should give you enough confidence to push harder and go in with higher speed. Once you hit the late mark consistently and have it figured out well enough you reel the apex back and hit the true one without letting your speed drop. You are then trading that safety margin for speed.

NASA does the TT program after you get through DE and they have test days, so it's not just racing or DE.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,907 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
I thought the OP asked how to find the limits of adhesion on the track?
Going fast and correcting slides are two different things.
For the former, coaching all the way but for the latter, there really is no substitute to seat time. No coach will be able to teach you the "seat in the pants" stuff, you need to teach your butt yourself.
That hasn't been my experience with a professional coach. The person I work with helped me find my limit quicker, and challenged me to go further, than I could have on my own.

Quality over quantity.

Being fast, and finding the limit, are the same thing in my mind.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:49 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
The limit is NEVER binary. When you go over the limit, you don't immediately spin off the track backwards into a guardrail, roll-over and burst into flames (I thought I would).

I held myself back a lot when I first started because even though I was sliding the car around, I was scared of the limit. I didn't want to go over the limit and crash.

The limit is never binary.

Practice correct fundamentals with a quality coach and then go make the limit your b*tch.

-mike
Worth repeating. I prefer to say that the limit is not static, it's dynamic!

The MAJOR reason we KNOW that the limit is never binary is that the WAY EACH driver approaches or directs the car to the limit is DIFFERENT. Different control input timings and amplitude, et cetera.

There is NO car that cannot be driven quicker by somebody else. And the only difference is the loose nut behind the wheel... Call it confidence, competence, skill or bravery, it's the way great drivers are faster than good drivers.

Originally Posted by Dr911
As always, much wisdom found here. OP it's a good question.

I always invite my students to imagine that "the limit" isn't a fixed point.

As a drivers' skill execution and overall competence increases, they strive towards another goal.
Bingo. The best drivers constantly seek improvement and NEVER sit on their laurels... The great advantage of tools that generate this information and the "carrot" that is a TBL or an eclectic lap.

Originally Posted by NYC993
do not force yourself to experience the limit until your brain is ready.

Skidpad/car control clinic or autoX is great tool to see how car behaves (but speeds are much slower).
Yep. The former is critical...

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
That hasn't been my experience with a professional coach. The person I work with helped me find my limit quicker, and challenged me to go further, than I could have on my own.

Quality over quantity.

Agreed.

The limit, in the way various drivers drive the car, can be quantified. The approach to, the maintenance of, and instances of going over can ALL be measured.

The best drivers maintain a higher level of exceeding just slightly the capability of the tires to maintain slowing/cornering/acceleration, while following their desired path and stayinf (for the most part) on the pavement.

In my experience, few drivers know "what fast is," but they all want to get there. When I look at some of the performance extracted from ordinary cars by extraordinary drivers, it's pretty mind boggling what cars are capable of doing, when directed and asked of in the right way...

I think a collaborative relationship and conversation, aided by objective measures and intensive review to determine what is the same and what is different from a driver's immediate recall of the previous session, can really make a difference in, as you say, expanding your perceived potential and capability, and allow you to PUSH YOURSELF beyond the comfort zone that indicates doing the same old thing, over and over again.

I know that undirected seat time, and session work without very specific, targeted goals, and no objective comparison before and after to determine improvement (or not), is no way to get better...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-23-2017, 12:12 AM
tvr-4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the excellent advice - definitely a lot to take in but all very valuable.

Im not going to quote / respond to each piece, but here are a few thoughts:

- Few of you restated (or better stated) my question, which really is about finding grip limit in a safe way (and venue) without getting thrown out of DEs or inducing unnecessary risk (there will always be some but great thoughts from many of you on how to reduce it and build up to limit in a progressive way).

- A few of you mentioned ensuring that the car/tires are set up for learning (paraphrasing but I think it gets at the essence). A while back I realized I wanted to learn how to drive fast (rather than drive faster car), so I sold my 911 Turbo I tracked a few times and bought a SP3 944 race car => the objective was low power, no nannies, threaded tire, high safety so I can learn and push MY limits. Net, I think im
good there?

- I'm very comfortable driving a go-kart at the limit and have done it enough where I know what over the limit looks like, the outcomes of mistakes, how to correct them, etc... something that I haven't felt as comfortable exploring in DE environments with my car , hence the question.

The good news is that I'll have a chance to put some of the great advice to use this Fri/Sun at the Glen... keep you posted, hopefully I don't bring it home in a bucket :-)

Keep the discussion going, appreciate the insight!
Old 08-23-2017, 04:51 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Quality over quantity.

With the risk of getting beaten down like our resident arguer Mark Kibort, I kindly would like to somewhat disagree.

I make an assumption that 95% of the drivers on this board will not be able to have a private coach for each and every session they go out with the car, hence that option out of the window.

So, in that case, which is better (for learning the control the car after passing the limits of adhesion):

1. 4 days a year with a PRO coach and no other driving, or

2. 2 days a year with a PRO coach AND an additional 10 days without a coach.

My point is NOTHING creplaces seat time in this matter, be it with or without a coach.

You will not learn to control the car beyound the limit of traction unless you are sitting in that car and actually doing it. period.

Coach is allways good, no it is allways better than anything else but you need to drive the car beyound the limit to learn. i.e.. seat time, seat time, seat time. no way around it.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree (no ofense to coaches here) but i wont go faster until I am ready to go faster. Maybe...If a coach has comparable car and can take me for a ride or sit in my car yelling "gas, gas, gas now"

Now to find those last few 10th or maybe last second, or figure out right passing zone, exit strategies in dodgie situations etc. then yes coach would tremendous help to share years of their experience.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This thread is not about the pros and cons of coaching, or shouldn't be.

As NYC993 points out, and this is true for almost ALL reasonable people, "i won't go faster until I'm ready to go faster."

There are countless examples of where someone rides with a more experienced/confident/comfortable-at-the-limit driver and, newly enlightened that the limit is beyond their own perception of the limit, are able to break through a plateau and move forward in their own performance level. To the next one.

There are also countless examples of someone already "fast" who, upon reflection and discussion with someone else, reviewing objectively collected information and video, EXTENDS "the limit of what they thought possible or were able to previously execute." I think of my friend Ronnie Savenor who, with the help of Matt Romanowski (who, no slam, is certainly not as "fast" a driver as Ronnie, nor experienced in that level of car) found SECONDS at a track both know well, Watkins Glen International. Matt's perspective, and Ronnie's openness to considering a mutually derived strategy along with Matt, got Ronnie FURTHER and CLOSER to the limit (reset it, really) than Ronnie could do on his own. Great job, both of them.

Experiential learning (learning by doing) is certainly the main way most folks get better, but generally only to a point. I prefer the extension of this, "learning through reflection on doing." For example, after the session, sitting down in a quiet place and writing down/reviewing in your mind, or reviewing the video from THAT session, what you did well and what you can do better. No more than three each. Even working by yourself, by breaking down to progressively smaller pieces, you can more easily achieve it.

I think the OP's thread topic is really two questions. First, how do you find YOUR limit. Then, how do you find YOUR CAR'S limit. In my experience, the second occurs in a relatively narrow range, while the former is ALL over the map and has quite a wide range. For me, that means job security! <grin> But there are many ways to skin a cat. A great discussion...
Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

With the risk of getting beaten down like our resident arguer Mark Kibort, I kindly would like to somewhat disagree.

I make an assumption that 95% of the drivers on this board will not be able to have a private coach for each and every session they go out with the car, hence that option out of the window.

So, in that case, which is better (for learning the control the car after passing the limits of adhesion):

My point is NOTHING creplaces seat time in this matter, be it with or without a coach.

You will not learn to control the car beyound the limit of traction unless you are sitting in that car and actually doing it. period.

Coach is allways good, no it is allways better than anything else but you need to drive the car beyound the limit to learn. i.e.. seat time, seat time, seat time. no way around it.

Agree with this and mentioned it in a earlier post. Seeing the eventual beat down coming from the coaches on here, I backed off and didn't add another post until this one.
While coaching is surely one of the keys, seat time (to me anyway) plays an even bigger role.
What I think happened in this thread is that the original question actually became 2 or 3 separate questions and answers to one of those questions was not necessarily the answer to the other question(s).
Regardless, there is some wonderful and useful information in this thread for us "lesser than coach level" drivers.
Keep the advice and info coming, especially you coaches. Great stuff.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 169 Posts

It's definitely seat time but it isn't merely time in the seat. It's time spent with a purpose. A coach can help you find that purpose much quicker than most people without a coach but you can do it alone so long as you have a purpose, goal and methodology to your madness.

For some figuring it out alone is the goal. For some having figured it out (to the extent that is possible) is the goal. Different people will have different routes depending on the goal.

And for some of us the cost of pro coaching would swallow the budget such that you don't get your fix on the track. So while it might be the good stuff, just a couple hits won't suffice.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:26 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,907 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Maybe what we each have to allow is that we learn differently.

I've been fortunate to combine a decent amount of seat time with a decent amount of coaching and that has made a huge difference in my driving the last few years. That being said, the seat time was used to "lock in" what I learned from a coach. Without the coach I would have been trundling around the track doing the same thing and learning very little.

Again, in keeping with the theme of this thread, my coach pushing me to the limit, and driving my car and showing me what the car was capable of, all helped me to find my personal limit.

Most importantly, I now have the knowledge to find my limit on any given day, at any given track, under any conditions. Unless you are a born intuitive driver, and there are some, you need someone to give you those skills so that all your track time means something.

Originally Posted by NYC993
i agree (no ofense to coaches here) but i wont go faster until I am ready to go faster. Maybe...If a coach has comparable car and can take me for a ride or sit in my car yelling "gas, gas, gas now"

Now to find those last few 10th or maybe last second, or figure out right passing zone, exit strategies in dodgie situations etc. then yes coach would tremendous help to share years of their experience.
I have used many different coaches before settling on a "main" person. What you may have to allow is that you may not have had a coach that really clicked with you.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Respectfully, shouldn't it be? I honestly believe most drivers will not be able to find their limit without some degree of coaching. Whether its looking at data, or having someone in the right seat, or driving the students car, the average driver will benefit immensely from coaching.

Best coaching lesson I ever had, which I may have posted previously, is where I complained to my coach that the tires were used up. We switched seats and he drove around saying "use the grip that is available" and put down some really good laps.

That was a lesson about finding the limit with the grip which was left in the tires. Not only did that make me a better driver but it saved me a lot of money as I am not as quick to buy new tires.

Again, my belief is coaching is the fastest path to finding your limit. Others may disagree, and that's OK. Its what works for me.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:35 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

As NYC993 points out, and this is true for almost ALL reasonable people, "i won't go faster until I'm ready to go faster."

There are countless examples of where someone rides with a more experienced/confident/comfortable-at-the-limit driver and, newly enlightened that the limit is beyond their own perception of the limit, are able to break through a plateau and move forward in their own performance level. To the next one.

There are also countless examples of someone already "fast" who, upon reflection and discussion with someone else, reviewing objectively collected information and video, EXTENDS "the limit of what they thought possible or were able to previously execute." I think of my friend Ronnie Savenor who, with the help of Matt Romanowski (who, no slam, is certainly not as "fast" a driver as Ronnie, nor experienced in that level of car) found SECONDS at a track both know well, Watkins Glen International. Matt's perspective, and Ronnie's openness to considering a mutually derived strategy along with Matt, got Ronnie FURTHER and CLOSER to the limit (reset it, really) than Ronnie could do on his own. Great job, both of them.

Experiential learning (learning by doing) is certainly the main way most folks get better, but generally only to a point. I prefer the extension of this, "learning through reflection on doing." For example, after the session, sitting down in a quiet place and writing down/reviewing in your mind, or reviewing the video from THAT session, what you did well and what you can do better. No more than three each. Even working by yourself, by breaking down to progressively smaller pieces, you can more easily achieve it.

I think the OP's thread topic is really two questions. First, how do you find YOUR limit. Then, how do you find YOUR CAR'S limit. In my experience, the second occurs in a relatively narrow range, while the former is ALL over the map and has quite a wide range. For me, that means job security! <grin> But there are many ways to skin a cat. A great discussion...
Excellent post and something for everyone to consider. No offense taken.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:39 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

I honestly believe most drivers will not be able to find their limit without some degree of coaching. Whether its looking at data, or having someone in the right seat, or driving the students car, the average driver will benefit immensely from coaching.
I would agree with Peter. I think a lot of how someone approaches driving has to do with their previous training, being coached, and performance levels. I've found that people who have played sports at a high level (DI and DII college, NHL, Olympians, AAA baseball) have a different approach and are able to self reflect and analyze in a different way. They are also better able to mentally prepare for a session. In those cases, they people will be able to perform in a car at a very high level just on their own, which is not to say they can't do better with coaching.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Luigi's point about finding a coach WHO CLICKS WITH YOU is critical. Their ultimate speed in a race car is not that relevant. Their ability to really and truly communicate with you, step by step, to really improve is. I.E. the point Peter made about Ron and Matt.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:21 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Maybe what we each have to allow is that we learn differently.
^^THIS^^

I now have the knowledge to find my limit on any given day, at any given track, under any conditions.
And THIS should be the goal of anyone who wants to find their limit and the car's limit, KNOWING that there is a difference between the two...

The key is knowledge. More knowledge=more confidence=more commitment=more speed.

Respectfully, shouldn't it be? I honestly believe most drivers will not be able to find their limit without some degree of coaching.
You are certainly one of many, but coaching can take many forms...

Again, my belief is coaching is the fastest path to finding your limit. Others may disagree, and that's OK. Its what works for me.
And that's why RL is so great!

Having been doing this as a full-time business since before high performance driving and race coaching became a "thing," it's wonderful to see relatively widespread acceptance of this resource, in what is thought of as an individual sport.

I've been fortunate enough to exchange ideas and experience with the true pantheons of helping drivers AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL find their limit. It's often about finding the key to unlock the belief system in their drivers to help them believe they're capable of doing something they don't think themselves is, in fact, possible.

Many of the most gifted instructors at Skip Barber Racing School (RIP) back in the day, Rob Wilson, primo coach of F1 drivers, Mike Zimicki, Ross Bentley (who made the conveyance of needed knowledge to probe the limits widespread in his books), people who STUDIED how people learn and make abstract concepts more fully fleshed out, are incredibly valuable guides, if a driver finds value in that.

Then again, many club day, Drivers Ed and club racing drivers (more than I would have thought) are perfectly happy at the level they're running, and have little or no interest in making the commitment to making themselves "comfortable being uncomfortable" that these coaches would ask them to make.

Which is perfectly ok, too. Just don't fool yourselves that you are, when you aren't...
Old 08-23-2017, 11:38 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

....There are countless examples of where someone rides with a more experienced/confident/comfortable-at-the-limit driver and, newly enlightened that the limit is beyond their own perception of the limit, are able to break through a plateau and move forward in their own performance level. To the next one....
While there really is no substitute for objective third party analysis, ie 'coaching', Peter's note above is a very good and less expensive way to "broaden" one's limits (assuming familiarity with the track and a decent amount of seat time already in such that one's attention is not saturated).

Some here have right seated while Pros drive their car. In my case it was Andy Lally. I can only say that I was effortlessly much quicker following that ride (I had had many laps in the car and at the venue).

I think it was Pat Long that said "trust the grip" - or more accurately probably that is where i first heard/saw it. I've always thought that Andy essentially "re-calibrated" what I perceived as the "limit" as I could thereafter 'trust the grip' more.

A Pro is not required to open that door. A very good driver in the same car/set up that laps consistently a few seconds better will do...

Really good discussion and thread!

Quick Reply: How to find your (and your cars) limit?