How to find your (and your cars) limit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
ProCoach, apologies if I came off as dogged as it was not my intent. I blame the innate binary-bias in us folks whose profession (day job) has a quantitative element to it. Your characterization of 'variable limit' is accurate and a much simpler way to describe what I was trying to articulate. Thank you.

Re: Lime Rock, I run 1:02 on street tires in a 530HP car and I am switching to Pilot Sport Cup 2s in an attempt to crack a sub 1 minute lap (so I have much to learn). A run group with fewer than 35 cars would help. Enjoy your weekend at LRP :53 in ANY car is haulin'
No apologies necessary! This is a great discussion and best wishes for breaking the magic minute mark!

Unfortunately, I will have more than thirty cars to negotiate in my quest. With lap
times from :51's to 1:02's...
Old 08-24-2017, 11:12 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,305 Likes on 2,451 Posts

I think it's important to make the distinction between being at the limit versus minimizing lap time.

To do the latter, you need to combine being at the limit with following an optimal line with generally optimally inputs along that line. Otherwise, it's possible to be at the limit, but still be somewhat slow because the line and the general inputs on that line were too far from optimal (I say 'general inputs' because we have to superimpose car control corrections on those general inputs).

Complicating things further, the optimal line does depend somewhat on the power/grip ratio of the car, balance of the car, etc. - there isn't one optimal line for all cars.

But of course the challenge presented by these complications is part of the fun! It if was easy, we'd be bored once we figured it out what to do and could execute it consistently (which is where precision and car control come in).
Old 08-24-2017, 11:34 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Complicating things further, the optimal line does depend somewhat on the power/grip ratio of the car, balance of the car, etc. - there isn't one optimal line for all cars.
Hmmm. I disagree. Driving at and straddling the limit of the car a majority, if not all the time, mandates the line...

While control input amplitudes and rates of change might be slightly altered based on weight distribution and other factors that affect how quickly the car rotates, external examination of the selected trajectory would not change, as the car would "be carried" through the committed-to trajectory.

Listen to Colin Braun and Kenton Koch address this very important concept on Ross Bentley's podcasts.

Ross and I are in agreement on this, as well.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:12 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 10-29-2020 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:16 AM
Akunob
Rennlist Member

Received 897 Likes on 569 Posts

^^ great discussion going on here. The adage that there is a low HP car line vs. a high HP car line would seem to support the statement that "there isn't one optimal line for all cars". However do changes in the characteristics of a given car alter its optimal line? For example, would the optmimal racing line for two 991 GT3s (one fully stock and the other with pro suspension on R7s) be the same? I posit that the optimal line should be identical for both GT3s, but the car with the pro setup on R7s can attack the corners more aggressively and carry more corner entry, mid-corner and likely exit speeds due to its setup and higher levels of grip (hence quicker lap times, normalizing for the identical driver skill in both cars).

If I understood Manifolds comment, it suggests that the optimal racing line would be different for each car because of their differences (grip, balance etc). Thoughts...
Old 08-25-2017, 12:46 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,305 Likes on 2,451 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Hmmm. I disagree. Driving at and straddling the limit of the car a majority, if not all the time, mandates the line...

While control input amplitudes and rates of change might be slightly altered based on weight distribution and other factors that affect how quickly the car rotates, external examination of the selected trajectory would not change, as the car would "be carried" through the committed-to trajectory.

Listen to Colin Braun and Kenton Koch address this very important concept on Ross Bentley's podcasts.

Ross and I are in agreement on this, as well.
Originally Posted by Akunob
^^ great discussion going on here. The adage that there is a low HP car line vs. a high HP car line would seem to support the statement that "there isn't one optimal line for all cars". However do changes in the characteristics of a given car alter its optimal line? For example, would the optmimal racing line for two 991 GT3s (one fully stock and the other with pro suspension on R7s) be the same? I posit that the optimal line should be identical for both GT3s, but the car with the pro setup on R7s can attack the corners more aggressively and carry more corner entry, mid-corner and likely exit speeds due to its setup and higher levels of grip (hence quicker lap times, normalizing for the identical driver skill in both cars).

If I understood Manifolds comment, it suggests that the optimal racing line would be different for each car because of their differences (grip, balance etc). Thoughts...
Cars with lower power/grip ratio will tend to have an earlier apex, since the lack of power means best use of grip past apex will come from cornering rather than power, so the earlier apex will give a smaller average radius past apex with unwinding of the steering delayed until corner exit.

As a more basic example, consider a car which carries a constant speed through a corner, at a constant radius, at the limit, preceded by threshold braking to reach that speed at corner entry. We all know that's not the optimal way to corner, yet it's still on the limit. (This example involves some simplification due to taking out the spirals associated with winding in and unwinding the steering, but that doesn't change the basic point.)

The difference in line may not be large for cars which are somewhat similar, but there's still a difference. And I agree with those who argue that most drivers are losing time more due to how far they are from the limit rather than how suboptimal their line is.

Adam covers these topics well in his books, and I believe the data bears it all out:

Amazon Amazon

It all comes down to physics. This stuff is complicated (and much easier said than done!), but it doesn't have to be mysterious.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

For the 'one line' discussion, the ideal line changes when the vehicles are significantly different. To make it really obvious, consider these very different track cars:

1. Momentum car in spec class
2. GT3 car
3. Superbike
4. High downforce prototype (like a DSR=P1/2 car)

Just thinking on it one can see the ideal lines will not be the same for all of these vehicles.

In a much milder case, a similarly classed 911 and Corvette will get to full throttle at different times leaving a corner and this will slightly alter the ideal line for each car.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I'm looking forward to my :53 second laps at Lime Rock in a 150 hp car on bias-ply slicks, at slip angle ranges well beyond any fixed limit, next weekend!
Peter - what run group are you in, pic of your car would help too (unless you will be wearing your sport coat and tie, which makes you easy to spot!)..
Old 08-25-2017, 09:35 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ace37
For the 'one line' discussion, the ideal line changes when the vehicles are significantly different.
Watch the variety of IMSA GT/LM and GTD machinery this weekend at VIR. Different layouts, tires, polar moments, BOP... Same turn-ins, apex areas and most importantly, track outs...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Peter - what run group are you in, pic of your car would help too (unless you will be wearing your sport coat and tie, which makes you easy to spot!)..
Group 9, Gary, late morning and late afternoon. Friday, Saturday and Labor Day Monday.

We have everything from Formula Atlantics to Formula Fords to Sports 2000 cars. 30 cars from :51's to 1:03's!

Here's my whip!
Attached Images   
Old 08-25-2017, 09:48 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Group 9, Gary, late morning and late afternoon. Friday, Saturday and Labor Day Monday.

We have everything from Formula Atlantics to Formula Fords to Sports 2000 cars. 30 cars from :51's to 1:03's!

Here's my whip!
What a beautiful car!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hf1
What a beautiful car!
Hard to believe it's nearly forty years old! Fully aluminum moncoque, sheet metal folded, glued and riveted together like an airplane fuselage, slicks, big brakes. No juice, though.

Big slip angles and BIG FUN!

Last edited by ProCoach; 08-25-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Watch the variety of IMSA GT/LM and GTD machinery this weekend at VIR. Different layouts, tires, polar moments, BOP... Same turn-ins, apex areas and most importantly, track outs...
Yep!!!!!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Hard to believe it's nearly forty years old! Fully aluminum moncoque, sheet metal folded, glued and riveted together like an airplane fuselage, slicks, bug brakes. BIG FUN!
She is beautiful. Wow!!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:21 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Here's my whip!
Great, see you there!

Quick Reply: How to find your (and your cars) limit?