Sponsored by:

How to find your (and your cars) limit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:52 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 150 Posts

Didn't read the whole post but trust me the cars limits are beyond most of the drivers . Work on your technique don't worry about the cars limits. The limits of the car are only truly explored after you master your own abilities

If you want to speed up the process there is 0 substitute for a good "Professional Coach" . You have to master the fundamentals before you can really make progress in this sport.

Unfortunately to many equate going faster to driving better . Unfortunately they are just driving that much more over there head. We all know what that leads toward.

Have fun stay safe
Old 08-21-2017, 10:36 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve113
Didn't read the whole post but trust me the cars limits are beyond most of the drivers . Work on your technique don't worry about the cars limits. The limits of the car are only truly explored after you master your own abilities

If you want to speed up the process there is 0 substitute for a good "Professional Coach" . You have to master the fundamentals before you can really make progress in this sport.

Unfortunately to many equate going faster to driving better . Unfortunately they are just driving that much more over there head. We all know what that leads toward.

Have fun stay safe
^^^^ This
Old 08-21-2017, 11:09 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcD147
actually I disagree.. seat time is a, albeit small, component

it is about doing the right thing in that seat time. reinforcement of mistakes doesn't make you a better driver. it just makes you more confident in your mistakes.

pick a single goal however small and be real good at it for that session
eg anyone of the below is a good goal; once you get better you combine multiple into one
  • hit all apexes perfectly in a single lap
  • hit all turn ins and all apexes perfectly in a single lap
  • zero traction control engagement (while maintaining laptimes)
  • not be surprised by a faster car showing up in a mirror
  • laptimes consistent within .5 s
  • smooth break relase
  • etc
  • etc
Absolutely! Good advice.

Well, that little task made the list of drivers who can do this a LOT smaller! Remember, consistency in lap times shows repeatability in car position, speed, placement. All good things.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Spot on, Steve
Old 08-22-2017, 12:11 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,906 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Let me stress the coaching. If you practice the wrong thing over and over it does you no good.

Coaching is the number one key to becoming a good driver when combined with a decent amount of seat time.

If the choice is to go to three track days with no coaching, or one day with coaching, I would choose the one day with coaching.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:13 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
Let me stress the coaching. If you practice the wrong thing over and over it does you no good.

Coaching is the number one key to becoming a good driver when combined with a decent amount of seat time.

If the choice is to go to three track days with no coaching, or one day with coaching, I would choose the one day with coaching.

Agreed..
Old 08-22-2017, 12:38 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa

I thought the OP asked how to find the limits of adhesion on the track?
Going fast and correcting slides are two different things.
For the former, coaching all the way but for the latter, there really is no substitute to seat time. No coach will be able to teach you the "seat in the pants" stuff, you need to teach your butt yourself.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I was going to suggest something similar. Oh, there's the limit...whack!
I know you guys are mostly kidding, but I thought it was a good time to point out maybe the single most important idea that someone (JvO, he knows what he's talking about...) gave me soon after I started this whole racing thing -- it sounds stupid and common sense but it really clicked for me and has changed the fundamental way I approach driving fast since that day.

I don't claim to be a coach, but I know what's worked well for me so take it for what it's worth.

The limit is NEVER binary. When you go over the limit, you don't immediately spin off the track backwards into a guardrail, roll-over and burst into flames (I thought I would). Sure, some situations be it car setup, chassis fundamentals, weather, mechanical or even contact by another car or object can change the time you have to recover from going over the limit.. but it's never binary.

I held myself back a lot when I first started because even though I was sliding the car around, I was scared of the limit. I didn't want to go over the limit and crash. Even to this day, I still regularly remind myself of this fundamental fact.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the next time you're at Road America pitch it into the kink flat out because I said you have time to save it -- but keep it in mind when you're pushing into the "uncomfortable zone". The limit is never binary.

Practice correct fundamentals with a quality coach and then go make the limit your b*tch.

-mike
Old 08-22-2017, 01:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 916 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh
I know you guys are mostly kidding, but I thought it was a good time to point out maybe the single most important idea that someone (JvO, he knows what he's talking about...) gave me soon after I started this whole racing thing -- it sounds stupid and common sense but it really clicked for me and has changed the fundamental way I approach driving fast since that day.

I don't claim to be a coach, but I know what's worked well for me so take it for what it's worth.

The limit is NEVER binary. When you go over the limit, you don't immediately spin off the track backwards into a guardrail, roll-over and burst into flames (I thought I would). Sure, some situations be it car setup, chassis fundamentals, weather, mechanical or even contact by another car or object can change the time you have to recover from going over the limit.. but it's never binary.

I held myself back a lot when I first started because even though I was sliding the car around, I was scared of the limit. I didn't want to go over the limit and crash. Even to this day, I still regularly remind myself of this fundamental fact.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the next time you're at Road America pitch it into the kink flat out because I said you have time to save it -- but keep it in mind when you're pushing into the "uncomfortable zone". The limit is never binary.

Practice correct fundamentals with a quality coach and then go make the limit your b*tch.

-mike
Terrific post!
Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Right on the money, Mike
Old 08-22-2017, 01:58 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by fleadh

-mike
^^Bingo!^^

Thanks, Mike.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Dr911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As always, much wisdom found here. OP it's a good question.

I'm not a racer or a pro, but I have one thing I'd add which you might find useful when thinking of incremental growth: I always invite my students to imagine that "the limit" isn't a fixed point.

As a drivers' skill execution and overall competence increases, they strive towards another goal.

I find this helps frame the mindset of my overly cautious students and also can cool the hot-footed hero who is hesitant to accept instruction.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

1. Learn car control (seat time, skid-pad, snowed-in empty parking lots, "safe" track corners, etc.) so you can safely straddle the grip peak everywhere on the track.
2. Start with low HP, low grip and only "graduate" to higher HP, higher grip when you are able to safely straddle the grip peak at those lower HP/grip levels.
3. Get a Solo for instant feedback (Predictive Mode) as you explore different approaches on the track.

This article is good for putting OP's questions in context, especially the grip peak charts on the 2nd page:
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...r-Control.aspx
Old 08-22-2017, 04:58 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think we veered off into good lap times and good driving vs experiencing the limit.

As far as how to reach that limit in your car...SLOWLY with seat time. Sometimes by going back to street tires with less grip. I was very timid driver when I started out and it took me a while to get comfortable (no electronic nannies here). Not until I was in advanced run group I was somewhat comfortable with rear steping out or front sliding out only because I was going maybe extra few mph (if that) so quick small correction would put car back where it's been before many many laps. Even now Im not one to get car into power slides like Chris Harris on youtube.

I'll say what not to do...do not force yourself to experience the limit until your brain is ready.

Skidpad/car control clinic or autoX is great tool to see how car behaves (but speeds are much slower).

go karts also great for develoing feel and car control but at slow speeds.

But neither is done at 80-90mph and you gotta build up slowly so you don't freak out and dont do wrong thing at wrong time going 80mph through the turn.

Last edited by NYC993; 08-22-2017 at 06:09 PM.

Quick Reply: How to find your (and your cars) limit?