Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 10:25 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,111 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Great, see you there!
In A Paddock, just beyond pit lane paddock exit, towards Big Bend and in the middle, with a bunch of other cool cars under the tractor-trailer tent.

Brabham BT-23C, Brabham BT-6, Lotus 23, Lancia Fulvia Zagato, Siata 300BC (bright yellow, baby '50's Ferrari looking, can't miss it) and my cheap car!

See you soon!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,305 Likes on 2,451 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Watch the variety of IMSA GT/LM and GTD machinery this weekend at VIR. Different layouts, tires, polar moments, BOP... Same turn-ins, apex areas and most importantly, track outs...
Since (a) use of the available grip comes from braking, cornering, and/or acceleration, and (b) pretty much all cars can brake hard enough to use all of the available grip, the biggest variable, by far, in determining the optimal line will be the ratio of power to grip. If that ratio is similar, the optimal line will also be very similar, regardless of engine placement, absolute level of power or grip, etc.

Though it has limitations due to being based on a particular 2D model, this simulation to determine the optimal line gives an indication of how that can vary with the vehicle: https://www.raceoptimal.com/VIR.

At VIR, the differences are most noticeable from T1 to T3, and from T15 to the front straight. From T3 to T15, the optimal lines are so similar that we could say they're essentially the same. (Again, these conclusions are based on a model which has limitations).

Of course, F1 teams, companies like Porsche, etc. have much more sophisticated simulators, but not easy to get our hands on them!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:17 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Since (a) use of the available grip comes from braking, cornering, and/or acceleration, and (b) pretty much all cars can brake hard enough to use all of the available grip, the biggest variable, by far, in determining the optimal line will be the ratio of power to grip. If that ratio is similar, the optimal line will also be very similar, regardless of engine placement, absolute level of power or grip, etc.

Of course, F1 teams, companies like Porsche, etc. have much more sophisticated simulators, but not easy to get our hands on them!
In the former comparisons, the performance of the more balanced ratio cars can be easily duplicated in cars with an excess of power to grip simply by introducing a "throttle artist" behind the wheel!

On the latter, my opinion is that the limitations of the raceoptimal sim inject serious flaws in the way it calculates the result. I have little actual race and track day data, by leading and proven drivers in a variety of cars, that is close to that generated by raceoptimal. Neat exercise, but of little value, IMO.

Here's an interesting page: http://geneura.ugr.es/cig2012/papers/paper76.pdf

There is Bosch LapSim, but IMO, the easiest, most approachable lap sim software for club level drivers (but suitable for pro teams) is Claude Rouelle's OptimumG sim, OptimumLap.

Take a look here: http://www.optimumg.com/race-prep-an...tion-exercise/

Here is an awesome little article: http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-phy...est-lap-times/

I do have to say, drivers are MOST effective when, as Ross Bentley says, when probing the limit of the car, "they drive the CAR, not the TRACK."
Old 08-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProCoach
In the former comparisons, the performance of the more balanced ratio cars can be easily duplicated in cars with an excess of power to grip simply by introducing a "throttle artist" behind the wheel!

On the latter, my opinion is that the limitations of the raceoptimal sim inject serious flaws in the way it calculates the result. I have little actual race and track day data, by leading and proven drivers in a variety of cars, that is close to that generated by raceoptimal. Neat exercise, but of little value, IMO.

Here's an interesting page: http://geneura.ugr.es/cig2012/papers/paper76.pdf

There is Bosch LapSim, but IMO, the easiest, most approachable lap sim software for club level drivers (but suitable for pro teams) is Claude Rouelle's OptimumG sim, OptimumLap.

Take a look here: http://www.optimumg.com/race-prep-an...tion-exercise/

Here is an awesome little article: http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-phy...est-lap-times/

I do have to say, drivers are MOST effective when, as Ross Bentley says, when probing the limit of the car, "they drive the CAR, not the TRACK."
I agree that the raceoptimal sim likely isn't based on a model good enough to infer lap times, etc. I presented it just to show that an optimization model can give differences in optimal line for various cars, and the amounts of the differences can vary in different parts of a track.

I remember looking at that paper a while back. It seems to be focused on optimization algorithms, rather than comparisons of vehicles. But it does make this statement:
"... finding the optimal racing line requires to search for the optimal trade-off between racing the shortest distance and racing fast. Of course, such an optimal trade-off also depends on the racing car dynamics, i.e., it is different for different car models, and on the sequence of the track segments (e.g., the ideal line through the same turn might change if it is followed by a straight or a tight turn)."
That ties into the concept that time elapsed is a function of both distance traveled and speeds along the path traveled. This video covers all of this well (yes, I'm a big fan of Adam's work!):

In that blog article, I think the author may be placing too much emphasis on maximizing speed at corner exit rather than minimizing lap time. It's a reasonable rule of thumb, but when getting down to last second or fractions of a second, the examples in Adam's video illustrate that the rule of thumb doesn't always work.

Agreed with your point about focusing on driving the car rather than the track. That's consistent with my comment about most drivers (including me) losing time mainly due to how far they're below the limits rather driving a suboptimal line.

Thanks for reference to OptimumG, I'll take a look (I started to take the test, but will need a calculator for that one!).

I've been really bogged down with work for months, and it's fun to get back to talking about driving.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I've driven a lot of different types of cars over the last few years and I honestly can't think of a single time where I used a different "line" because of what chassis I was driving at the time. With the exception of avoiding some curbs in prototypes where you jump them in GT's... but it didn't really change my "line".

The things that change are:

* initial brake zone (some cars get much deeper than others).
* attitude of the car at entry/mid corner (rotation, some need more than others).
* initial throttle point and application curve (ie: the McLaren GT3 you have to get to power way early because of turbo lag.)

** hint, the last 2 are heavily dictated by the differential setup in the car....

The things that don't change are:

* turn in point.
* apex.
* track out.

While I may not be super fast, I've driven with plenty of co-drivers who are and who's results are directly effected by how fast I am. If they could tell me or show me a faster way, they would have by now.

IMO, what holds a lot of people back is overanalyzing things that don't matter. Again, which is why a good coach is super critical if you want to improve quickly and go fast. If you just want to have fun goofing around with your friends or bench racing on the internet, that's a different hobby...

-mike
Old 08-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Yep
Paralysis by over analysis
Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
I've driven a lot of different types of cars over the last few years and I honestly can't think of a single time where I used a different "line" because of what chassis I was driving at the time. With the exception of avoiding some curbs in prototypes where you jump them in GT's... but it didn't really change my "line".
Could be that the cars you drove were similar enough in the power/grip ratio that the lines were essentially the same? Plus, I think any significant differences in line will be limited to some parts of some tracks.

I don't actually pay much attention to line when I'm driving - my attention is mostly on how well I'm generating and using grip, and the line winds up being an outcome of that (I think that's essentially what Peter was alluding to). My line varies as conditions change, I make mistakes, etc.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:51 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

* turn in point.
* apex.
* track out.

IMO, what holds a lot of people back is overanalyzing things that don't matter.

-mike
My experience, exactly.

And you've driven quite a wide variety of cars...
Old 08-25-2017, 04:47 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

ProCoach, I expect your intuition will be backed by lots of experience, so since you say it doesn't make any practical difference, while there might be a subtle theoretical difference, I'll be quite happy to trust that you're right. Ditto that of the other experienced racers echoing your comments. I do assume the context you're speaking to is racing within classes that could safely share a track.

To take a completely unreasonable example to show there is a theoretical difference in some cases, a kart with a 50mph top speed could be compared to a GT3 car. **Yes, this is absurd, but it's only a theoretical point and not a practical one - I've conceded the practical point already. The kart can essentially carry full 50mph speed through any corner on any full size track and never let off the throttle. So for the kart, the fastest line is the shortest possible path - connecting straight lines between every corner and ignoring basically everything else about the track. The GT3 car will take what we'd consider to be a normal line. That's not going to be the shortest possible path every time as corner speed needs to be maximized to get the best lap time. So in theory it's different.

That said, in practice, it sounds like you and others are all saying that everyone in any reasonable race setting will be running the same line, and other variables like driving style and setup might make more difference than these theoretical ideal line concepts. While that doesn't invalidate the theory, it makes it reasonable to neglect and ignore.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:01 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

IMO, what holds a lot of people back is overanalyzing things that don't matter. Again, which is why a good coach is super critical if you want to improve quickly and go fast. If you just want to have fun goofing around with your friends or bench racing on the internet, that's a different hobby...

-mike
That makes good sense Mike. I think part of what's going on here is some of us are still just trying to learn what matters and many of you here have known for a long time. When we newer folks to the sport hear something that doesn't fit what we've read elsewhere, it's natural to try to get to the bottom of it. When we do, usually something is learned.

In this case I think the lesson is that any theoretical difference in "ideal lines" is small enough to be insignificant in practical settings.

Thanks to all for interesting discussion.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:07 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:37 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
To take a completely unreasonable example to show there is a theoretical difference in some cases, a kart with a 50mph top speed could be compared to a GT3 car. **Yes, this is absurd, but it's only a theoretical point and not a practical one - I've conceded the practical point already. The kart can essentially carry full 50mph speed through any corner on any full size track and never let off the throttle. So for the kart, the fastest line is the shortest possible path - connecting straight lines between every corner and ignoring basically everything else about the track. The GT3 car will take what we'd consider to be a normal line. That's not going to be the shortest possible path every time as corner speed needs to be maximized to get the best lap time. So in theory it's different.
This is a good example of what I was getting at. Replace the kart with a Miata on decent tires, and the comparison with the GT3 can make a difference. There are places like the esses at Summit Point where the Miata will indeed be at full throttle and will benefit from a shorter path, whereas in my GT3 I need to modulate throttle and take a more conventional line.

Randy Pobst touches on these points when comparing racing high-power vs low-power cars:

http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?...e&mag_id=14878
Old 08-25-2017, 06:36 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Akunob
With all due respect, a car's limit is static. What you are describing (I.e., "unsticking the car") is what is actually known as reaching a tire's limit of traction/adhesion. Contrary to popular belief, when a tire reaches its traction limit, it doesn't simply break away resulting in the the car spinning out of control. A tire's traction limit is actually achieved within a range of slip angle. Beyond that range, the tire starts to lose grip progressively as the coefficient of friction drops. Some tires 'breakaway' progressively while others are more snappy, (I.e., for a car equipped with a given tire, its limit is STATIC, as the optimal slip angle is a known factor). What you are describing is a driver driving AT the tire's limit of adhesion/traction which is over a range of slip angle.

Driving a car AT IT'S LIMIT, requires the driver to attain and manage to the tire's slip angle to achieve the car's optimal cornering limit. A known fact is that many inexperienced driver's do not account for changes in track conditions (I.e., cool morning, vs hot afternoon) or tire condition (e.g., changes in tire pressure throughout the track day AND changes in tire wear over the course of a 2-3 day DE weekend). These factors AFFECT the tire's coefficient of friction and the size of the tire's contact patch which alters the tire's behavior, making it challenging for driver's to gauge a tire's limit consistently.

Remember the optimal slip angle HAS NOT CHANGED, the tire's characteristics HAS. The best drivers can make the adjustments, most of us (myself included) struggle with this. This starts to get very technical but as a driver I strive to understand these technical points which affect my car's behavior on the track as it dictates the adjustments that I make throughout my DE weekend.

A car's limit is FIXED for any given section of a track, based on what I described earlier, what changes are the track and tire conditions which necessitates changing driver inputs to consistently achieve that limit. Hope this helps.
I hope you realize that this is huge oversimplification. There is a lot more to it than coefficient of friction and slip angle. In a hypothetical turn, one driver can go through it at 50mph and another driver can go through it at 60mhp both at the limit of adhesion. I think that's what VR and ProCoach are saying.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,547 Likes on 817 Posts

Yes
Old 08-25-2017, 07:03 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

The things that change are:

* initial brake zone (some cars get much deeper than others).
* attitude of the car at entry/mid corner (rotation, some need more than others).
* initial throttle point and application curve (ie: the McLaren GT3 you have to get to power way early because of turbo lag.)

** hint, the last 2 are heavily dictated by the differential setup in the car....

* turn in point.
* apex.
* track out.

While I may not be super fast, I've driven with plenty of co-drivers who are and who's results are directly effected by how fast I am. If they could tell me or show me a faster way, they would have by now.

-mike
+1 but of course the track out or at least the extent of tracking out necessary is less if your car can't get enough power down to reach the tire limits on some combination corners. That can lead to different entry trajectory for the next corner that can sometimes be more advantageous.

Quick Reply: How to find your (and your cars) limit?