Sponsored by:

Vision and Car Control

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 12:08 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
So, you're saying PKF might NOT have started off on a Big Wheel?
I'm old enough to remember the big thing about the Big Wheel was that you could spin it. I also remember being bummed out that my Big Wheel didn't come with the "Parking Brake" that made spins easier.

-Mike
Old 08-24-2017, 12:36 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bkovac
what i got out of this is that Veloce Raptor and Mark Kibort are in agreement, who would have ever thought
Clearly a rift in the time space continuum....time to buy a Powerball...
Old 08-24-2017, 12:38 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I gotcher chakra right here

Clearly 2nd Chakra driven....
Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen
Clearly a rift in the time space continuum....time to buy a Powerball...
Wow, look who the cat drug in...
Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,332 Likes on 1,891 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Wow, look who the cat drug in...
Yep. The master of car control... Truly!

"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yep. The master of car control... Truly!

You are too kind, just repeated use of one handed, palm style, low vision,reactionary and eyes closed....

Thanks to all my instructors, they were pho king mdmazing...
Old 08-24-2017, 02:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36
I also remember being bummed out that my Big Wheel didn't come with the "Parking Brake" that made spins easier.

-Mike
Me too.

My best friend had one. He was apparently cooler and his parents loved him more.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:00 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Me too.

My best friend had one. He was apparently cooler and his parents loved him more.
i got socks.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:46 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
i got socks.
You got socks? Wow, I got a rock....
Old 08-24-2017, 04:01 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas RS
You got socks? Wow, I got a rock....
Well that's not so bad, pet rocks were popular back then...

-Mike
Old 08-25-2017, 10:41 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

when i race my road bike, there is so much going on, i try to focus on just 3 things. that's all my brain can digest. breathing, cadence, eyes up.
when I'm racing or qualifying, i have to actually keep yelling at myself to get my eyes up, get them forward, look as far forward as possible with quick microscans back towards the nose of the car. if its a tight left hander, and i have to move my entire body to see out and past the A pillar, whatever it takes, i strain and struggle to try to look as far up. once you start doing that, PLUS, u get the seat time to be able to feel the shift and movement of the car, tires, suspension, roll bar, compression and rebound, it all starts to come together. and you can also start to anticipate the slide, whats going to happen. it just takes some time, and you hit the nail on the head, getting your head up. imagine walking around staring at your feet.
good job, nice driving. great sport.

Originally Posted by TXE36
Yeah, .

How did this turn into effectively a "shuffle steering" thread? I appreciate the initial comments on hand position and will take them into consideration. Generally, we could all use a little advice here and there.

However, what I'd really like is more discussion about the initial post. I was at TWS again yesterday and I'm more convinced than ever this is a big revelation for me. As I stated, I've known about the importance of vision for a very long time - for some reason I just never connected it with car control which I'm considering as distinct from having the car on the right line/smoothness etc... I can't say I've read much about it either, although I would not consider myself a voracious reader.

I think my feelings on this are unique to me in the sense of the lack of sensitivity in my butt gyro - the visual aspect helps me. I can see someone with a very finely calibrated butt not needing this for car control but I'm guessing there are others out there similar to me.

I went to the track to have fun and learn how to drive a car fast - I had no idea how much I would learn about me.

-Mike
Old 08-25-2017, 10:59 AM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

TXE,
one more thing ill toss in...nothing to do with car control. you're matriculating to being a really strong driver. nice control getting smoother, committed to improvement. you might call me a prude, a safety nerd, but i never get in a fast car, where on the straight away you're pedal to the floor and bolting thru turns wthout a drivers suit, hans, helmet gloves. you could be driving top notch and something in the car snaps or breaks, someone else rolls and is dead center of the track as you come around a blind turn, like all those turns at NYST super track..<G>... just so much can go wrong and if you want to be serious, dress to survive. you will only get faster and faster and get more to the 10/10ths limit, and beyond. and even for the best, stuff can go wrong. i doubt any person here with extensive driving experience hasn't either had a bang bang or many code brown situations whether self induced, induced by others, or just some track situation.

every time i see dudes hauling really nice with no gloves, shorts, etc. i cringe. dress for success. if the crowd around you cant respect your desire to go fast and be ultra-safe, find a different crowd.

..just my two cents. great driving!

Quick Reply: Vision and Car Control