Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open Aluminum Trailers - Pricing??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Open Aluminum Trailers - Pricing??

I'm looking at a used Trailer World open aluminum trailer. 2yrs old, tire rack, enclosed tool box, enclosed nitrogen bottle carrier, fuel carrier. Enclosed deck, removable fenders and the door of my Porsche opens unobstructed.

I know Trailex trailers tend to hold their values. This one was a $8000 trailer new and looks much more substantial than a Trailex. Any opinions as to what used aluminum trailers go for these days?
Old 11-24-2003, 12:54 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

You can get a new Trailer World trailer with some options for $6K. I had a nice TW trailer until it was stolen. I would buy one again if I don't get an enclosed one.

My guess is you will pay at least $5K for this trailer. If you have any pictures of the set up I would like to see it.

Thanks
greg@gfishman.com
Old 11-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone here at work (Mercedes Benz Corporate HQ) is selling his Trailex. Here are the details:

1996 Trailex Model CT-703 (open trailer). Enclosed bottom deck, manual winch (or is it wench? ), chrome wheels, tool box, surge brakes. (Note: there is no tire rack, but as you most likely know, you can buy one and install it yourself). Asking price: $3500.00.

If anyone is interested, let me know.
-Zoltan.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:34 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it for $5,500 but want to make sure I'm not paying too much. My expectation is that this will be a 1-2yr thing before I go to an enclosed trailer (the disease continues). So I want to make sure I can resell it fairly easily without taking a bath. The probem is that you can get a cheap enclosed trailer for the same price. However, I know I wouldn't be satisfied with a cheap one.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:45 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been looking for a while and it seems you can get ~$3500-4k for a nice aluminum trailer. You might be at the high end, but if you get a couples years out of it and lose mayb 1k or so that doesnt sound so bad.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:52 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Geoffrery,
I have the same plan as you. Rather than pick up a used Al, I found a used steel. It was so cheap I won't take a bath when I sell it, no matter how low its value goes. I'll buy an enclosed when I have the cash to outfit it EXACTLY like I want it.

I guess it doesn't matter if you buy hi and sell hi or buy low and sell low, in the end its the same. It's just less cash outta my pocket now, my way of telling myself I'm "saving" money.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey: you have mail.
-Z.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:49 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, it seems I'm a year or 2 behind you. Lemme know when your moving up.

Chris
Old 11-24-2003, 11:00 PM
richard glickel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Geoffrey,

$5,000 sounds about right. If it's 2+ years old, it may be time for some minor service (check brakes, electricals, bulbs, that's it). How are the tires?

Good luck.

Richard

P.S. I have a catalog at my office that's a pretty good source for tie-downs, etc. If you'd like, I'll email you the name of the place later this week. R.

Quick Reply: Open Aluminum Trailers - Pricing??