Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many 918s have been sold to date?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:58 PM
swb3
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am a fan of Martini and Salzburg but am not sure I would like it as you mentioned. Because I am going with a "white variant"(Geneva Car, Bright white metallic) I asked for the Salzburg stickers but was told the adhesive will not work if not applied after 6 months. So I am not sure, I am thinking no at this point. In this day and age I can have about any option made in a wrap so I think I will skip it.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:00 AM
swb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Call me boring, but I like silver.

(Just realized you're in SoCal ... can't wait to see you cruising around the 405 )
I was very set on a silver variant however when I was at the factory I was told about 60% at that point had been ordered in a silver or grey and decided against it. I still think silver is great.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,654 Likes on 5,109 Posts

Originally Posted by biko
On the drive at sonoma raceway this past Wednesday the client rep told me there is about 20% left to go. So about 200 still available.
I had heard, or read somewhere, that some buyer was still waiting for number 666 ... So maybe a bit more like 250 or so still available?
Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 AM
swb3
Instructor

I had heard, or read somewhere, that some buyer was still waiting for number 666 ... So maybe a bit more like 250 or so still available?
They don't make a big deal about it but the car serial number can be selected if it has not been selected by another customer. I chose 887, even though I am build number 411. I was a bit surprised this number was available but at the time I chose we all thought the HP was going to be bumped up.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Those numbers are not sequential in production. They are requested from among the 918 available numbers possible. It's part of the marketing of this particular model - something that I don't think Porsche has ever done before. I think it's pretty damn silly and 'confusing'. Seinfeld requested #911 and got it. His car is an early production unit, as has been reported elsewhere on this forum (see link below).

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
I'm curious, does anyone here know approximately how many cars have been "sold" to date (i.e., for which deposits have been made and orders placed).
Congratulations on your order. A pretty reliable source that works at the Porsche factory told me at the PCA Parade last week in Monterey that around 700 have been 'sold' or spoken for with deposits. Another PCNA employee at the 'Start the Engines' 918 road show two days ago at Infineon told me that around 75% are spoken for! And someone at this forum that just ordered a 918 sent me a pm two days ago and told me this '75%' is the number he was told when he gave them his deposit last week! This % translates to approx. 688. So I would say somewhere between 680 & 700 are 'sold' at the moment and they expect the balance to be spoken for by year end!

As you can imagine, there is a 'full court marketing press' to round up those 200+ potential customers ASAP. And many are expected to come from the 'Americas'. Yesterday (June 26th) at Infineon/Sonoma was the last scheduled day for the 'Start the Engines' 918 Road Show which allowed depositors & potential buyers to test drive the cars at road courses set up in New York, Miami, Chicago, Austin & Northern California. Depositors and 'qualified prospects' from all over the US, Canada, Mexico and South America were invited to participate. This road show started back on April 30th! There will be other dates from July to December, 2014 at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama where prospective buyers can try out the 918's (although track time will be limited!). I'll explain further all of this at this other thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...june-25th.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 06-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered one 10days ago. Build start date, 'confirmed' this week as March 15, with delivery in May or June. (UK).

I'm hoping to get to factory relatively soon to spec, and make a call on colo(u)r etc - I am trying to imagine what would look as good or better than the silver, while being less prevalent. The chances of parking next to another one are still pretty slim though!

It's not a car I plan to sell in a hurry so I'm finding myself spending way more time thinking about exteriors and interiors than normal. I'll be interested to see what the factory visit does to help property visualise the finished spec, in PTS for example.

Not driven one yet - hope I like it!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:45 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the silver too (GT silver), for sure. Looks really good on the car.

Call me boring, but I like silver.

(Just realized you're in SoCal ... can't wait to see you cruising around the 405 )
Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Footsoldier - agree - go with PTS! If you like silver, maybe Polar Silver? I believe the 918 will look great in any color and would want mine to be a unique color
Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Could it be SATAN!!!

-The Church Lady (Martin Short)
Old 06-29-2014, 09:04 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the information Eduardo. I'm glad to be one of the few who will be getting a 918, even if I can't have VIN numbers 666, 911, or 918.

I am going to think about whether or not I might want a specific VIN.

Also, thank you swb3 for the info about silver cars ordered to date. I would prefer something unique for this car. I did have one more question for you. Why is it that you were told the graphics wouldn't stick after 6 months? Were they saying they would not stick because the car was painted? Is it not a wrap?
Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Could it be SATAN!!!
No, Lucifer ordered a Pagani Huayra and explained to the automotive press when asked that 'he was old-fashioned and didn't trust the damn batteries on the Hybrids'. Does he know something we don't?

Thanks for the information Eduardo. I'm glad to be one of the few who will be getting a 918, even if I can't have VIN numbers 666, 911, or 918. I am going to think about whether or not I might want a specific VIN.
Once 001 and 918 are taken...what is the value of the rest? And I would argue that by instituting this new system of VIN a la carte, even 001 and 918 have little meaning other than reasserting that the feudal 'Droit du Seigneur', or at least that of his fat wallet, is alive & well...and being practiced at Porsche today!

Also, thank you swb3 for the info about silver cars ordered to date. I would prefer something unique for this car. I did have one more question for you. Why is it that you were told the graphics wouldn't stick after 6 months? Were they saying they would not stick because the car was painted? Is it not a wrap?
I look forward to swb3 reply. I am a strong advocate of the 'Weissach Package' if you are ordering a 918 Spyder. What we were told 'off the record at The Thermal was that if you ordered a Weissach in one of the foils, the wrap might not last 3/4 years if exposed to the elements. The brochure states that 'compared to paint, foil may reveal the details of the surface, such as edges from cutting and folds - additionally, it provides less resistance to environmental influences."

I have two thoughts on this subject:

a) The chances of a 918 Spyder being exposed to the elements over a period longer than a few days will be rare once they are delivered to their owners. In most temperature/humidity control garages, I would not be surprised if the 'foil wraps' outlast the lives of the owners!

b) If your foil does go 'bad' and needs to be replaced in 3, 5 or 10 years, that might be a blessing is disguise. You were probably getting tired of the Martini stripes anyway! This allows you to go from the Martini to the Salzburg, or vice-a-versa...or design your own at the local Kinko's and foil it on!

I see nothing but positive for 'Weissach Package' and choosing for it the foil wrap of your choice! And I see an active aftermarket in alternative 'designer' foils that will be available to 'Weissach Package' owners over the years. These new foils, each more colorful & sexy than the last, can add excitement & variety to your affair with the 918 - which those of us married folks can only dream of in our 'other' permanent relationship!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 PM
swb3
Instructor

Thanks for the information Eduardo. I'm glad to be one of the few who will be getting a 918, even if I can't have VIN numbers 666, 911, or 918.

I am going to think about whether or not I might want a specific VIN.

I ordered the Weissach package and the paint is a special white that was not listed when I was in Stuttgart mid March. A bright White with a metallic flake, there was a car on the factory floor that was stunning and the same as the Geneva car. I asked if I could have the Salzburg wrap so that if at a later time I could have it applied. PCNA told my dealer rep that yes they would do that but the "glue" or whatever required it to be applied within 6 months or otherwise it would not work!?!?! Really I find this to be hard to believe but that is what I was told. I look forward to hearing something more reasonable but may just have the wrap installed if that is the case. By the way it sounded as though there may be other paints available besides those listed or of course PTS.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:29 PM
swb3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z356
These new foils, each more colorful & sexy than the last, can add excitement & variety to your affair with the 918 - which those of us married folks can only dream of in our 'other' permanent relationship!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Lol, I hear yea!
Old 06-29-2014, 11:45 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Eduardo/SWB3, thank you for the info.

I was thinking Weissach, with a unique color under a wrap. My hope was that the wrap would absorb whatever minor debris contacts the car when I drive her on the street or on a track with no one else on it. (Too many really bad drivers at track days. )
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by swb3
I ordered the Weissach package and the paint is a special white that was not listed when I was in Stuttgart mid March. A bright White with a metallic flake, there was a car on the factory floor that was stunning and the same as the Geneva car. I asked if I could have the Salzburg wrap so that if at a later time I could have it applied. PCNA told my dealer rep that yes they would do that but the "glue" or whatever required it to be applied within 6 months or otherwise it would not work!?!?! Really I find this to be hard to believe but that is what I was told. I look forward to hearing something more reasonable but may just have the wrap installed if that is the case. By the way it sounded as though there may be other paints available besides those listed or of course PTS.

Would that be like the Audi Glacier White triple layer metallic?

Quick Reply: How many 918s have been sold to date?