Notices
Porsche Supercars Carrera GT, 918,960
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$64,000 for US paint job on 918, please explain why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 01:04 PM
wtdoom
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is completely different to alubeam . My sls was alubeam , this knocks it into a cocked hat . Its absolutely gorgeous .
The solution is simple , dont order it .
Old 10-17-2013, 03:13 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
It is completely different to alubeam . My sls was alubeam , this knocks it into a cocked hat . Its absolutely gorgeous .
Agree. Just from pictures the liquid blue is just stunning!
Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Zeus
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wtdoom
Did you order it for your 918? I take it McLaren doesn't have anything to compare it to as an option on the P1?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:16 PM
unique
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

because porsche
Old 11-25-2013, 11:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default On the topic of 'Liquid Metal' paints on the 918

We were given more details about the two special paints (Liquid Metal Silver & Liquid Metal Chrome Blue) for this model at the 918 test driving event at The Thermal Club near Palm Springs on Nov. 21st. Porsche also had the base 918 model painted in 'Liquid Metal Silver' on display (last photo attached below). First let's hear the official Porsche spiel as quoted from their latest hardcopy 918 sales brochure:

"Nine coats of the Liquid Metal paint applied with high precision, three manual processing stages, and three final clear coats guarantee impressive light reflection and extraordinary depth. Every reflection helps to emphasize the contours of the 918 Spyder with even more clarity. The paint is highly vibrant and gives the surface the appearance of liquid metal. We'd even go so far as to claim that rarely has a concept been realized so tangibly."

And there is a rumor that the final paint buffing at Zuffenhausen is done by a team of beautiful Norse Valkyrie maidens working totally in the buff! Do I have your attention now? Well, for $63,000, you should expect no less.

But wait, there is a serious part to this whole topic of the 'Liquid Metal' colors on a 918. Last Thursday at The Thermal Club was the first time my friend Doug, who has had a deposit on the 918 since the first prototype was shown at the Jet Center in Monterey in August of 2010, had seen an actual 918 prototype painted in any of these two expensive 'Liquid Metal' colors! And he has been a guest at several Porsche 918 'deposit holders' events, including one in Zuffenhausen in 2011 and another in Las Vegas in 2012. So this 'Liquid Metal' 918 at The Thermal was a indeed a rare sighting. What was explained to him at the '12 Las Vegas 918 meet was that the 'secret' of the 'Liquid Metal' paint process involves using magnets to line up the metallic flakes in set directional patterns. I am not kidding. MAGNETS! This was confirmed to us at the temporary Porsche Zentrum located at the 918 test drive center at The Thermal by Melissa Witek, who works with Sascha Glaeser in managing all of 'Porsche Exclusive' for the United States. The magnets arrange the exact position & orientation of the metallic flakes in the liquid paint as it's applied to the surface of the 918. As a result, they will be able to determine exactly how light will reflect once it hits that surface and bounces back to be seen by the eye. It sounds terrific and totally 'high tech', which matches the character of this car to a T.

And in reality, the 'Liquid Metal Silver' paint on the 918 at The Thermal looked absolutely fantastic. But would I have paid $63,000 for it if I was ordering a 918? No. I would, however, have gladly paid the $20K+ that Porsche is charging to create a unique PTS color on this base $845K model. Just imagine this model painted in 'Acid Green', Lichtgrün (Birch Green), 'Signal Yellow' or 'Gulf Orange'! As a percentage of MSRP, PTS on a 918 is less expensive than the $5,500 on a 991 or 981. And if I was to order the Weissach Package, I would have gone for one of the two historic motorsport 'film' packages (Martini Racing or Salzburg Racing).

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 AM
mousecatcher
Instructor

If I were a customer for this car, I wouldn't hesitate to drop the extra coin for the liquid silver. It looks absolutely fantastic, and is special. PTS is one thing but you can't get the liquid silver workmanship even at your favorite one-off custom shop. I think it's remarkable that they'd even offer such a thing from a large scale manufacturer. And after all, what's $64k between friends. That's less than the CA tax I'd have to pay for the car.

I'm surprised that people willing to drop $850k for a car (a bargain BTW compared to its competitors, as was the CGT) would think about the "value" in the paint upcharge.

Easy to say though, I'm not a customer.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:01 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
What was explained to him at the '12 Las Vegas 918 meet was that the 'secret' of the 'Liquid Metal' paint process involves using magnets to line up the metallic flakes in set directional patterns. I am not kidding. MAGNETS! This was confirmed to us at the temporary Porsche Zentrum located at the 918 test drive center at The Thermal by Melissa Witek, who works with Sascha Glaeser in managing all of 'Porsche Exclusive' for the United States.
The Process Info and Blend-in-Repair instructions from BASF for the 918 liquid metal finish are way less sexy... This might be Porsche's most profitable option yet!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:55 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
This might be Porsche's most profitable option yet!
You think? Even with the money it takes to have all the Valkeries giving the personalized service! Come on, go for a ride! It's only $63K.

Saludos,
Eduardo
At Sea-Tac on my way out of Seattle!
Old 04-01-2014, 10:23 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 458 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
The liquid metal paint costs a fortune just to buy the source material.
I think I've found a way to save some $$ on a custom paint scheme for the 918. Will Porsche let you supply your own paint for PTS?

Figure a couple gallons are needed, so you need 16 of these jars. That works out to $241.60.
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2014, 12:23 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Toyota's 'Blizzard Pearl' paint comes in at a bargain-basement $400... Maybe more OP's speed.
Look at that DEPTH!

Old 04-22-2014, 10:52 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

The other thing I'd note about the liquid metal paint is that the particles must be finer or something. I heard the same story about magnets at the Thermal event. When you look close up at a "normal" metallic paint, you can see all the different colored little glitter flecks and stuff in the paint. You don't see that in the liquid metal paint... the color and metallic reflectiveness is very even. It's kinda like the difference between old Apple iPad/MacBook displays and new Retina displays where you can't see individual pixels with the naked eye is the best I can describe it. Combined with the depth, it's definitely unique in person.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 PM
Slide
Instructor

What this all says to me is that a scratch will probably cost you 64k.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 9.5 Degrees
Can I forgo the $64,000 paint job and save on the $845K price tag if I want the Carbon Fiber look?
you can but the bare carbon option (it's actually a fully wrapped car with bare carbon showing through clear wrap) is only available as part of a package that adds somewhere around another 100k to the price of the car.

...so it's not cheaper than the paint.

My friend who works at the dealer just got back from 918 training and was telling me all about it over dinner last night.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:20 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by cchan
I heard the same story about magnets at the Thermal event.
Ground Coat: ONYX BLENDER PRO
Base Coat: ONYX HD Basecoat liquid metal (chrome blue or silver)
Clear Coat: SUPREMELUX CP

Originally Posted by cchan
The other thing I'd note about the liquid metal paint is that the particles must be finer or something.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:06 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I did some checking and Porsche charges the following for Paint to Sample:
$53,000 base Boxster- $5500
$183,000 991 Turbo S- $5500

Conclusion- Price of the car has nothing to do with it.

$78,000 base Panamera- $9,900
Size of the car has everything to do with it.

$845,000 918- PTS is Free

Quick Reply: $64,000 for US paint job on 918, please explain why?