Sponsored by:

Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:14 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CarMaven
Isn't it those cross beams above the track, after that sharp wind-y right (or S) turn, leading into it?

When he crossed the finish line, he actually didn't slow down till a few seconds after. That throws people off to, apparently.

Personally, I don't care if I can't find it exactly, cause I know Auto Motor Und Sport were there to record (plus I saw the time figure).
The first crossing of the overhead beam occurred at video time 1:06 and the second crossing occurred at 8:08, still a 7:02 difference.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.ausringers.com/2013/09/10...html#more-2094

Suzy991
Old 09-15-2013, 05:35 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
The first crossing of the overhead beam occurred at video time 1:06 and the second crossing occurred at 8:08, still a 7:02 difference.
I told you McLaren Life Forum explains difference, and they are somewhat bias. You're beating a dead horse, the OFFICIAL TIME IS 6:57 period!!!!!!........move on and instead ask, where is the P1 and LaFerrari time
Old 09-16-2013, 01:21 AM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAMAD
I told you McLaren Life Forum explains difference, and they are somewhat bias. You're beating a dead horse, the OFFICIAL TIME IS 6:57 period!!!!!!........move on and instead ask, where is the P1 and LaFerrari time
I’m not beating any horse; I’m looking for the reference point(s) that was used to establish the 6:57. I did a brief search of the Mclaren site and didn’t see the post where you’re saying it was explained. Since you read it, why don’t you just tell us which reference point was used?

If/when McLaren and Ferrari post ‘ring videos of their new supercars, I’ll be happy to watch those as well.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:40 AM
997xpress
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/por...ist=tcountdown

Last week, on a bright, cool morning in the Eifel Mountains, test driver Marc Lieb strapped into a black 918 bristling with cameras and antennas, pressed the so-called “Hot Lap” driving-mode button, and tore off down the track for his second attempt of the morning (historians note: his first pass was 6:59). Among other programming changes, the Hot Lap button authorizes the maximum rate of discharge of the car’s 6.8 kwh, 385 volt lithium-ion battery—a stupendous 230 kilowatts and nearly 600 amps—for as long as the electrons last.

And a tax credit to boot...

And if it is snob appeal you want, please, it is a plug-in hybrid. In the U.S., Tesla Model S’s are outselling big sedans from Mercedes, BMW and Audi. You can’t get more courant than current. Actually, the 918 is eligible for a potential $3,667 federal tax credit for purchase of advanced hybrid vehicles, if you were on the fence about that $845,000 MSRP.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:10 AM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997xpress
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/por...ist=tcountdown

Last week, on a bright, cool morning in the Eifel Mountains, test driver Marc Lieb strapped into a black 918 bristling with cameras and antennas, pressed the so-called “Hot Lap” driving-mode button, and tore off down the track for his second attempt of the morning (historians note: his first pass was 6:59). Among other programming changes, the Hot Lap button authorizes the maximum rate of discharge of the car’s 6.8 kwh, 385 volt lithium-ion battery—a stupendous 230 kilowatts and nearly 600 amps—for as long as the electrons last.

And a tax credit to boot...

And if it is snob appeal you want, please, it is a plug-in hybrid. In the U.S., Tesla Model S’s are outselling big sedans from Mercedes, BMW and Audi. You can’t get more courant than current. Actually, the 918 is eligible for a potential $3,667 federal tax credit for purchase of advanced hybrid vehicles, if you were on the fence about that $845,000 MSRP.
WSJ also states at the end.........'that guarantees, at least for the next 13 miles or so, you're driving the FASTEST sports car on the planet' ;0)
I think Ron Dennis reads the WSJ. time to take up gardening. ;0)
Over to you McLaren and Ferrari. Enough said
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
GuyR
Racer

Originally Posted by fbirch
I’m not beating any horse; I’m looking for the reference point(s) that was used to establish the 6:57. I did a brief search of the Mclaren site and didn’t see the post where you’re saying it was explained. Since you read it, why don’t you just tell us which reference point was used?

If/when McLaren and Ferrari post ‘ring videos of their new supercars, I’ll be happy to watch those as well.
The reason is as follows (and I've driven there a lot).

The small section at the beginning/end of the lap is an area known as T13 (or Tribune 13) which is where a stand is placed for the F1 race on the left. On the right is the old pits, which are used for the industry pool testing days. These pits are private unlike the very public entry/exit/cafe area used for Tourist days on the main straight.

The section through T13 is naturally very slow, since it has a very slow entry corner past armco and the exit of the small straight is the first corner (a tight left-hander). This is therefore a very good place for cars to enter and exit on the industry test days, which is what they do. In order to ensure that any cars entering the track are not compromising someones last few seconds of a lap the end of the timed lap as reported by manufacturers and Sport-Auto is set just past the last corner. The lap starts just before the first corner. The approximately 200 metres between the two is therefore never timed.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:07 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyR
... the end of the timed lap as reported by manufacturers and Sport-Auto is set just past the last corner. The lap starts just before the first corner. The approximately 200 metres between the two is therefore never timed.
This is the first I've heard of this. Thanks for sharing, Dave
Old 09-16-2013, 08:27 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyR
The reason is as follows (and I've driven there a lot).

The small section at the beginning/end of the lap is an area known as T13 (or Tribune 13) which is where a stand is placed for the F1 race on the left. On the right is the old pits, which are used for the industry pool testing days. These pits are private unlike the very public entry/exit/cafe area used for Tourist days on the main straight.

The section through T13 is naturally very slow, since it has a very slow entry corner past armco and the exit of the small straight is the first corner (a tight left-hander). This is therefore a very good place for cars to enter and exit on the industry test days, which is what they do. In order to ensure that any cars entering the track are not compromising someones last few seconds of a lap the end of the timed lap as reported by manufacturers and Sport-Auto is set just past the last corner. The lap starts just before the first corner. The approximately 200 metres between the two is therefore never timed.

Hope that helps.
GuyR – Thanks for the well-informed reply. Applying an average speed of 20.6km/6:57min over the missing 200m accounts for the 5 second discrepancy almost exactly. I suspected that might be the reason, but a poster earlier in this thread stated that this was a full flying lap, not the more common, slightly-shortened lap that’s often used as a benchmark. Turns out that was incorrect info.

Since Porsche has set this momentous benchmark, maybe McLaren can shoot for “first production car to do a full lap in under 7 minutes” ;-)

BTW, I’ve only driven the ring once – over a 4-day period – and it’s definitely a bucket list item. You guys who live on that side of the pond are very lucky!
Old 09-16-2013, 09:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe they could have a P1 lap which is a little shorter and then get under 7 minutes since they could not do it with all that HP at the same distance as Porsche.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

McLaren Life Forum, look up mark ANTAR post. He posted exactly what you are looking for and explains the time difference it seems on the video. Sorry I can't recall exact location of post (too many regarding the record) ;0)
Old 09-16-2013, 11:02 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Bingo. That's basically what's on mclife

Quick Reply: Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57