Sponsored by:

Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
On track, for sure, in most cases. That was true even with old PDK. I know the new PDK-S is greatly improved, but I on the street I'll still be shifting it for myself.
+1!
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
+1 full flying lap not BtoG ... full in car video is posted on youtube in the Porsche channel
I’m not sure where the lap officially starts and ends or how reliable the video timer is, but if you look at the indicated time when the car passes the second-to-last vertical pole just before the throng of Porsche engineers, it shows 1:09 at the first crossing and 8:11 at the second crossing. If you pick any reference point ahead of that pole, you get the same delta – about 7:02. Is the video timer that far off?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:14 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
I'd give them credit though...
They do mention it's the Weissach package which can be ordered by any customer...
I don't know... If it was a $5k option yes, a $90k+ option, no...

I think their official time should be indicative of what the base car is able to do and then they can happily make further claims on the lightweight track spec... This was just an exercise to be able to give us a sub 7 min time that obviously the base car can't do!

Originally Posted by frayed
Nice try
Sums it up perfectly for me...
Old 09-12-2013, 01:59 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911rox

I think their official time should be indicative of what the base car is able to do and then they can happily make further claims on the lightweight track spec... This was just an exercise to be able to give us a sub 7 min time that obviously the base car can't do!

Sums it up perfectly for me...
It is a $84K option ... 10% of the base price

Originally Posted by alpine-al
Not sure what you mean. According to the configurator, the 918 Spyder with Weissach Package can be had for $929,950.

Originally Posted by the_vetman
He's mistaken.
Incorrect, the Base price is $845,950... You will pay $84,000 over list for the lightweight model

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
Keep in mind that the record setting car was a special lightweight version according to AutoWeek.
I highly doubt that this race version will be available to customers at any price near list ...
Old 09-12-2013, 06:28 AM
Slowekistan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car certainly has potential, just remove the dead weight (driver) and all antiquated interfaces (wheel, mechanical shift paddles).
Old 09-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,603 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by fbirch
I’m not sure where the lap officially starts and ends or how reliable the video timer is, but if you look at the indicated time when the car passes the second-to-last vertical pole just before the throng of Porsche engineers, it shows 1:09 at the first crossing and 8:11 at the second crossing. If you pick any reference point ahead of that pole, you get the same delta – about 7:02. Is the video timer that far off?
My understanding is that the full "flying lap" times are measured from the "industry pool entrance" section that is located at T13 on the short straight between the right hander (Hohenrain/Coca-cola kurve) and the left hander onto Hatzenbach...

basically where all the engineers are standing ...

weird that the video time is out ...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Stephen Pitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys, I have to say if this is the thread that joined our CGT crowd -- well, okay -- maybe we needed new blood. But can people who want to bitch about the price of the special 918 (or whatever) or make silly comments about the driver who made this wonderful bit of history, etc., please go on to some "fairness equality site" where everyone can be happy. 98% of the comments here don't fall into this points -- so please don't everyone get overly excited -- its just a bit irritating for those that do. I am also really into photography and I saw great internet sites fall victim to this type of small mindedness. Great cars deserve great respect. Cheers, Steve
Old 09-12-2013, 05:53 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911rox

nice try x2.

Who is going to speak of 918 Spyder and a 918 Spyder RS??
or a 918 Sypder S and a "base" 918 Spyder?

It's a 918 with 10% in additional track-oriented options.

The GT3/GT2 or just about any Porsche with a few heavily over-priced options on the configurator can also exceed by 10% over the base price any day of the week.

p.s.
Nice to see that the new King of N-ring Road Cars is a midengine Porsche.
But tell us something we weren't already expecting to happen... eventually.

Last edited by perfectlap; 09-12-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:24 AM
TAMAD
Intermediate

Lieb slowed down after crossing finish, reason for 5sec difference. Mark it 6:57 is undisputed official ring record. SPORT AUTO was there to verify for any doubters. Porsche left no stone unturned. Every i dotted, every t crossed. It's the Porsche way ;0)
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 AM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
nice try x2.

Who is going to speak of 918 Spyder and a 918 Spyder RS??
or a 918 Sypder S and a "base" 918 Spyder?

It's a 918 with 10% in additional track-oriented options.

The GT3/GT2 or just about any Porsche with a few heavily over-priced options on the configurator can also exceed by 10% over the base price any day of the week.

p.s.
Nice to see that the new King of N-ring Road Cars is a midengine Porsche.
But tell us something we weren't already expecting to happen... eventually.
I agree with you.

It's the Wessach package. So what? Of course Porsche would use their fastest [available customer] car to set the record, even if it's "only" 2-5 secs faster than the "non Weissach" edition car on The Ring. No biggie indeed. Order it, if you want.

Ironically, I would prefer the Non Weissach car myself. As I think those crazy wheels, the silver/aluminum in the interior, and the yellow exterior would make an excellent, exciting vehicle.

Who cares about an extra few seconds (only on The Ring, in all other speed test, it wouldn't make/feel much difference), when you have to look at, & sit in the car, as often as you drive it.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:02 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAMAD
Lieb slowed down after crossing finish, reason for 5sec difference. Mark it 6:57 is undisputed official ring record. SPORT AUTO was there to verify for any doubters. Porsche left no stone unturned. Every i dotted, every t crossed. It's the Porsche way ;0)
So where is the start/finish line - at what time point in the video does the car cross it?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:17 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

So where is the start/finish line - at what time point in the video does the car cross it?
I can't tell from the video.......but the time is VERIFIED
Porsche made sure of that, just in case McLaren or Ferrari had a bug up their ***** ;0) there is no disputing the time and Woking is in major scrambling mode to rectify their PR BLUNDER, AMATUERS!
it's a little too late I'm afraid, cause no one cares who broke 7mins after the fact. Crying over spilled milk over there at Woking. Ron Dennis should take up gardening. Their only PR hope if it works is to go under the RADICAL time of 6:48 I'm afraid
Good luck with that one. The RING eats hypercars for breakfast, reason the name GREEN HELL!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2013, 03:50 PM
fbirch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TAMAD
I can't tell from the video.......but the time is VERIFIED
Porsche made sure of that, just in case McLaren or Ferrari had a bug up their ***** ;0) there is no disputing the time and Woking is in major scrambling mode to rectify their PR BLUNDER, AMATUERS!
it's a little too late I'm afraid, cause no one cares who broke 7mins after the fact. Crying over spilled milk over there at Woking. Ron Dennis should take up gardening. Their only PR hope if it works is to go under the RADICAL time of 6:48 I'm afraid
Good luck with that one. The RING eats hypercars for breakfast, reason the name GREEN HELL!!!!!!!
I'm not alleging it didn't happen; I'm asking to see the video of it, and so far I don’t see it on this video. The driver appeared to be hard on the throttle at both crossings of the reference point I cited in my original post (1:09 & 8:11) based on the exhaust note. And I saw the same delta (~7:02) using a few alternate reference points where he appeared to be pushing the pace at both crossings. If Porsche says the car did a 6:57 I believe them; but I’d like to see the video of it.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM
TAMAD
Intermediate

No need to look for it any longer, it's been officially posted by Nurburgring ;0)
Check McLaren life forum posted by MARKANTAR, I think he has the breakdown of when the car first started and finished. By the way he concluded 6:57 is the CORRECT time ;0)
Way to go Porsche! :0)
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM
CarMaven
Pro

Received 146 Likes on 107 Posts

I'm not alleging it didn't happen; I'm asking to see the video of it, and so far I don’t see it on this video. The driver appeared to be hard on the throttle at both crossings of the reference point I cited in my original post (1:09 & 8:11) based on the exhaust note. And I saw the same delta (~7:02) using a few alternate reference points where he appeared to be pushing the pace at both crossings. If Porsche says the car did a 6:57 I believe them; but I’d like to see the video of it.
Isn't it those cross beams above the track, after that sharp wind-y right (or S) turn, leading into it?

When he crossed the finish line, he actually didn't slow down till a few seconds after. That throws people off to, apparently.

Personally, I don't care if I can't find it exactly, cause I know Auto Motor Und Sport were there to record (plus I saw the time figure).

Quick Reply: Nordschleife vs. Porsche 918 Spyder - 6:57