Very disappointd in my Valentine One

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Very disappointd in my Valentine One

Seriously.

It just goes off randomly now. No reason, that I can see or perceive, but its going off in K and Ka quite a bit of the time.

I have ascertained that it could possibly be:

Mirimar air station (same band as civ duty stuff? Really?)
Lincoln Navigators with stupid dip****s driving that leave the radar optimized cruise control on 24/7
Same thing with Mercedes Benzes
Those Two cars, as well as others, who use Radar for crash avoidance (can't we just rely on our freaking foot to put the brake pedal on?)
Other, very loud, radar detectors that put off some sort of signal to make the V1 go off.

I'm about to throw it out the damn window.

Its always on Big L, which is the highest filter I know of. Random, untraceable warnings that simply confuse the main mission.

It seems very similar to this:

And this:

Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

LED brake lights used to also cause the unit to false. I don't know if they still do.

Is there a reason you haven't consulted with Valentine about possible solutions?

Greg A
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brendan, are you certain these aren't caused by Caltrans cameras along the roadway? Look up and to the side of the freeway for the cameras. They are usually slender rectangular boxes on a pole.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron_H
Brendan, are you certain these aren't caused by Caltrans cameras along the roadway? Look up and to the side of the freeway for the cameras. They are usually slender rectangular boxes on a pole.
I am in san diego and have almost no false alarms and here is the trick. You need to reprogram X band and K band to be off. we dont need them in socal where all the guns are Ka.
the way to reprogram it is on valentine's website technical page but I can tell you how to do it, without reprogramming the V1 has a lot of false alarms.
first, with the unit plugged but in the off position, press the power **** and keep pressing while turning it on and keep pressing until it starts beeping. you will see a series of numbers following by flashing numbers.
a flashing 1 is the code for X band and if it is on, the arrow will be pointing up, so you need to press the **** one time to make it point down. this will delete your x band.
again press the **** and you will see number 2 flashing, this is your K band, if the arrow is up then K is on and you need to turn it off by pressing the **** once.
flashing 3 and 4 are for Ka and Laser and you need to leave these alone.
turn the unit off then on and you will see when it loads that only Ka and L are blinking and keep it in A mode.
Good luck.

Anthony.

P.S. I have 3 units, one for each car and they have paid for themselves a hundred times over, would not leave home without one.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AAHTT
I am in san diego and have almost no false alarms and here is the trick. You need to reprogram X band and K band to be off. we dont need them in socal where all the guns are Ka.
This works very nice. Thanks for the hint!
Old 03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

Lexus also has that type of cruise control too but glad you got it worked out.
I can't use my radar here in Va I once got a ticket by a cop driving by the house because I was testing it to put on ebay and he drove down my drive way and gave me a ticket in my garage with the door closed!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I spoke w/V1 about sim. prob., advised me to send my unit in to upgrade (89.00 USD) software, which reportedly solves false warning issues- Will do same when I return to US this summer...will let you know how it works out!
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Craig B
Intermediate

Threads like this make me sad - radar detectors are highly illegal in Australia, so I can't use one.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Rob in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why is this in the CGT forum?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:06 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

V-1 can be upgraded @ the factory....

i have had mine since 1994
Old 05-16-2009, 03:48 AM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AAHTT
thanks for the info. i'm guessing i can turn off x and k band in nor-cal too? i got my v1 about two years ago and based on the serial number the software is still the latest. i got it more for entertainment for road trips between sf and la . . . works pretty well. i don't use within sf because of all the false alarms and having it be target for theft.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Carefree
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Good Question?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Units today are super heterodyne and as such are highly filtered in the better models (including the Val). Superhet designs include transmitting in the primary frequency and zero-beating it against the received signals,--sort like how Dolby works. Unfortuantely, the cheaper units are not well sealed and they bleed that prime freq out of the shell of the unit and will set off a highly sensitive unit.

I installed mine (in a 997S cab) in such a way that I can quickly squelch the false alarms that wind up driving you crazy most of the time. Having the remote display and audio controls can add to that avail.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tallation.html
Old 09-26-2009, 03:18 AM
HD911
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob in WA
Maybe the TS is looking for an answer from a certain C-GT owner who drives a yellow one?

Quick Reply: Very disappointd in my Valentine One