Sponsored by:

Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 09:42 PM
jayster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjustment

Having just done an annual maintenance on an '05 CGT w/less than 1000 miles, I would not consider myself an expert, but well informed. The valve adjustment interval is for miles in service, not age. Just like an older 911 or other vehicle that requires it periodically.
The only reason that would make sense to do it earlier is if Porsche realized they goofed on something in materials or design. I do not believe this to be the case.

To address the clutch wear limit issue, if a dealers service reps reply was, " there aint 'nuff room ta see it" he clearly needs to go back to mopping the floors and NOT writing service. Just as in the 944's of old, there is an inspection port, held in by two screws. It provides ample room for inspection and measurement, more than the 944 ever did. I dont think he's been at his job long enough.....

Anyway if there are more questions I will try to answer them, if I cant I know someone who can.
Jay Putnam.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
tqg4ply
Track Day

Default annual maintenance

Originally Posted by jayster
Having just done an annual maintenance on an '05 CGT w/less than 1000 miles, I would not consider myself an expert, but well informed. The valve adjustment interval is for miles in service, not age. Just like an older 911 or other vehicle that requires it periodically.
The only reason that would make sense to do it earlier is if Porsche realized they goofed on something in materials or design. I do not believe this to be the case.

Anyway if there are more questions I will try to answer them, if I cant I know someone who can.
Jay Putnam.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Most guys recommend NOT to check valve adjustments at such low mileage - which I agree with. What should I expect to pay for the 4 year dealer service - sans valve adjustments ?
Howard Jacobs
Cleveland, OH
Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
jayster
Instructor

Oil and filter change ( same as 996/997) and a brake/clutch fluid flush. Check and test coolant, perform operational check of all on board electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical items. No reason Im aware of to adjust the valves, unless you notice something off with the engine (probably not) or you are at sufficient mileage. Your owners manual details the necessary operations and their mileage. Be a little proactive or premature on the intervals if nothing else. Also, I would recommend driving the car at least 10 to 15 mile a month minimum, if you dont already.
Jay Putnam.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:26 PM
jayster
Instructor

Sorry, the cost should be 1000 to 1500. The latter should include undertray cleaning, detailing and inspection. Not more, certainly not less. It takes a good 3/4 day.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:29 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Any genuine CGT owners email me through my profile and I will burn it to CD and Fedex it to you.
You are a special contributor. Thank you so much. Got it this week! (and new pads and tires, too.)
Old 09-30-2008, 08:32 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch wear

considering a 2005 CGT. they are inspecting it in the morning. whats an acceptable clutch wear level that would be acceptable? or better, what is the stock default "new " thickness? what is the level at which it would need replacing?

thx in advance.
-sg
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
That Guy
Advanced

Default re: clutch wear

'nominal' (new) ~31mm, repl recommended @ 28mm.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:58 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

crazy costly 3mm.

Originally Posted by That Guy
'nominal' (new) ~31mm, repl recommended @ 28mm.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:46 AM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 774 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
considering a 2005 CGT. they are inspecting it in the morning. whats an acceptable clutch wear level that would be acceptable? or better, what is the stock default "new " thickness? what is the level at which it would need replacing?

thx in advance.
-sg
Which one, man? I have some insight into the one at Lambo.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Not the one at Lambo; a midwest car. i dont think its on the internet. but feel free to throw around the inside skinny on the Lambo car.

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Which one, man? I have some insight into the one at Lambo.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
gt2r
Advanced

Gota reply to this one..I too have a CGT with much less than 1000mi. I spoke with 2 of the people who developed the CGT at a race this year since I knew I would be bringing my car in for an oil change this year. I asked about a valve adj and the belt change. Both of them told me not to do either. I did a battery replacement and oil change. My car is stored in a heated/humidity controled garage along with numerous other Porsches. I have gone to a 4 year service on all of them other than the ones I drive on a daily basis or on the track. I have found that the less service you have done the less problems I come out of the dealership with. If you live in a area that has high humidity or you drive it regularly I wouldn't pull an engine on any car--especially the CGT unless I had to. I start my cars on a 4-6 week period to keep seals somewhat lubricated. I know it is better to drive them but living in snow country for 7 months of the year I couldn't drive them anyway...This is just my opinion and it has worked for 15 years...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:08 PM
jayster
Instructor

Not bad advice. Previously from "snow country" myself. You can only drive as much as mother nature allows. The batteries will suffer, but thats the way it is.
Jay
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 AM
StoryBook
Advanced

So what is the consensus then for this 4yr major service? Engine out or not?? Valve adjustment or not? What is Porsche NA recommendations or requirements?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Hard to say. If one can't depend upon dealer to give one ...

Originally Posted by Kuzi
So what is the consensus then for this 4yr major service? Engine out or not?? Valve adjustment or not? What is Porsche NA recommendations or requirements?
the straight answer...

I've done valve adjustments on other cars with mechanical lifters and it is not an engine out job. However, these were front engined cars with easy and full access to valves and valve lash adjusters.

CGT with its mid-engine location may be well nigh impossible for mechanic to reach/stretch to get to valves and valve adjusters.

Generally valve adjustment based on miles driven, not time engine sits unused.

However, for engines with mechanical lifters one does an early adjustment as there's generally some break in wear that causes some maybe all lifter clearances to increase. One can hear this as increased valve clatter/noise.

After early/1st/initial adjustment then valves adjusted every so often, from depending upon engine and application from every 10K miles to every 30K or more. Depends.

Hard to believe a 4 year service requires valve adjustment on time alone. Valve clearances don't increase or need adjusted with engine standing around not running. However, I don't have access to CGT owners manual and its recommended servicing intervals or servicing mileage.

Are valves "quiet" when engine running/idling? If you hear a lot of clatter then valve clearance getting big and this should be addressed to obtain max. performance from engine and to keep camshaft lobes from smacking lifter faces.

Cam ground to at beginning gently/gradually get valve moving off of seat. If clearance off, too much, valve lobe contacts lifter face at steeper flank of cam lobe and this can increase cam lobe and valve face wear/tear.

Affects engine performance too cause valve timing affected by clearance increase and lift amount ditto.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's the measurements for my CGT's 4 year service last year at around 18k miles. When I spoke to them about the fact no adjustment was needed, they commented that of the percentage of cars that were at an age that had this service none required any valve adjustment.

If I was cynical I'd say it was Porsche rustling up another few $ ;-)

Quick Reply: Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?