Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 02:10 AM
themarsman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 8,000 miles on my car and I have a hard time believing that it is necessary to do a valve adjustment based on the amount of years the car has been in service.

It looks like the rest of the service can be done without removing the engine and my clutch still has plenty of life.

Does anyone else think it doesn't make any sense to pull out an engine and adjust the valves if the mileage is so far under the specified value?

Can anyone tell me why the valves would need adjusting based on a time frame and not mileage specific?

I could see if there was a belt that could get old and crack that would need to be replaced, but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any mechanics on the forum that can help inform a novice?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 PM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Any genuine CGT owners email me through my profile and I will burn it to CD and Fedex it to you.

Thanks for the kind offer. PM sent
Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 PM
DM1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Any genuine CGT owners email me through my profile and I will burn it to CD and Fedex it to you.
Got my CD today. Big Thanks to RS Clubsport.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DM1
Got my CD today. Big Thanks to RS Clubsport.
Me too. Thank-you RS Clubsport!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1^

What a generous gesture, to CGT owners, on RS Clubsport's part.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:39 AM
95ONE
Race Car

no. Please don't have them pull your motor to check for valve clearance because of time passed.
this is simply retarded. (edit: unless you've actually achieved 14K miles. Then it's time to check)
Acura NSX's have a cam over rocker arm set up. "Something" like Flat tappets. The tappets always needed adjusting on the older cars (American) . Acura used to suggest adjusting valve clearance every 30K on their design. They have since changed the service to 60K.
Everyone I checked (Worked on them alot and I know they're not Porsches- just for reference) were completely within spec at 30K. At 60K only a few needed adjusting.
Everything else on that list seems fairly necessary.. except for clutch thickness. When it goes, you'll know it. Unless you race it, you'll most like feel it start to slip a long time before it leaves you on the side of the road. ... exceptions to the rule as always. It also seems fairly quick and easy to check "while they're in there."
I know you don't know me. but I cant sleep. thought I'd read elsewhere.
Take Care.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-14-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
peloton
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill S.
Me too. Thank-you RS Clubsport!
I got my CD today too - thanks much RS Clubsport!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:09 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tqg4ply
My dealer told me my 2004 GT being 4 years old ( 1,400 miles ) needs a service - engine out, which includes a factory recall while the engine is out ???? Has anyone had the first service done - what does it include and what estimated cost ? Howard Jacobs
If you're too busy to drive the car to accumulate some miles, I'll come to Ohio to drive it for you...
Old 08-14-2008, 07:57 PM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Every once in a while, I am reminded of the truly kind hearted generous side of people.

On the 10th, I indicated to RSClubsport (John) that I would be interested in a CD Manual that he so kindly offered. Yesterday, a package arrived at my US address from England....sent via courier no less, with the enclosed CD !

John is the type of person that would probably not appreciate this public display of appreciation...acts like this are second nature to him. I just wanted to acknowledge his generosity, and above all, perfect sense of community displayed by his act.

Thanks John, you're a top bloke !
Old 08-16-2008, 03:53 AM
vtgts300kw
Advanced

He's probably an Arsenal supporter though!

Originally Posted by RufMD
Every once in a while, I am reminded of the truly kind hearted generous side of people.

On the 10th, I indicated to RSClubsport (John) that I would be interested in a CD Manual that he so kindly offered. Yesterday, a package arrived at my US address from England....sent via courier no less, with the enclosed CD !

John is the type of person that would probably not appreciate this public display of appreciation...acts like this are second nature to him. I just wanted to acknowledge his generosity, and above all, perfect sense of community displayed by his act.

Thanks John, you're a top bloke !
Old 08-17-2008, 11:08 PM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vtgts300kw
He's probably an Arsenal supporter though!
perish the thought....
Old 08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
tqg4ply
Track Day

guys, thanks for your input. I'm still unclear about checking valve clearances - at 4 years - the service items mentioned in the service book does not include valve adjustments ? Am I correct in my understanding that the only reason to take out the engine is to adjust the valve clearances ? ( leaving aside the factory recall, which seems absurd ! ) I was told by my F... mechanic that adjusting valve clearances on F.. cars every 5 years ( low mileages ) is not necessary unless the valves are noisy.
Wouldn't the same apply to the C-GT ?

FYI, the low miles were due to not being able to drive ( health reasons ) for one summer - otherwise I drive fairly regularly to car events and short trips. With multiple cars, it is not possible to drive them at the same time. As I'm sure you are all aware, it is not possible ( adviseable ) to park the C-GT at restaurants, shops, etc. for obvious reasons - the other problem is ground clearance, or rather lack thereof. I don't want to destroy the front underside on parking garages, driveways, parking lots, road repairs, general road rash and potholes, etc. which is my only problem with the GT ! Otherwise I love it.
I have driven an Enzo, but prefer the C-GT overall.

Howard Jacobs
Cleveland Ohio
04 - C-GT
04- Cayenne turbo
95 - 993 cab
87 - 944 T track car
99 - 550
97 - 456
77 - Mercedes 6.9
62 Alfa Romeo Giulia spider
Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by tqg4ply
guys, thanks for your input. I'm still unclear about checking valve clearances - at 4 years - the service items mentioned in the service book does not include valve adjustments ? Am I correct in my understanding that the only reason to take out the engine is to adjust the valve clearances ? ( leaving aside the factory recall, which seems absurd ! ) I was told by my F... mechanic that adjusting valve clearances on F.. cars every 5 years ( low mileages ) is not necessary unless the valves are noisy.
Wouldn't the same apply to the C-GT ?

FYI, the low miles were due to not being able to drive ( health reasons ) for one summer - otherwise I drive fairly regularly to car events and short trips. With multiple cars, it is not possible to drive them at the same time. As I'm sure you are all aware, it is not possible ( adviseable ) to park the C-GT at restaurants, shops, etc. for obvious reasons - the other problem is ground clearance, or rather lack thereof. I don't want to destroy the front underside on parking garages, driveways, parking lots, road repairs, general road rash and potholes, etc. which is my only problem with the GT ! Otherwise I love it.
I have driven an Enzo, but prefer the C-GT overall.

Howard Jacobs
Cleveland Ohio
04 - C-GT
04- Cayenne turbo
95 - 993 cab
87 - 944 T track car
99 - 550
97 - 456
77 - Mercedes 6.9
62 Alfa Romeo Giulia spider

If you look at the service listed earlier in this thread you will see that checking valve clearance is one of the items that is supposed to be done. I also have my doubts whether or not it is needed to pull the engine out.

I would like to hear from people with more mechanical knowledge as to what they think.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:03 PM
tqg4ply
Track Day

Default too busy to drive my C-GT

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
If you're too busy to drive the car to accumulate some miles, I'll come to Ohio to drive it for you...
"anytime"
Old 08-20-2008, 07:20 PM
tqg4ply
Track Day

If you look at the service listed earlier in this thread you will see that checking valve clearance is one of the items that is supposed to be done. I also have my doubts whether or not it is needed to pull the engine out.

I would like to hear from people with more mechanical knowledge as to what they think.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
yes, I see valve clearances to be checked, but don't believe that it's necessary. I would also like to hear from others more knowledgeable than myself ?
Howard Jacobs
Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Quick Reply: Carrera GT 1st service @ 4 years ?