Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellowing Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Josh
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is definitely a bit unnerving to see.
How many miles do you have on your CGT, and how often would you say it is outside in the sun?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:38 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

There is supposed to be a yellowish tint to the engine room structural carbon, but not the rest of the car. There is a different laminate and resin because of the higher heat around the engine. Mine has been that way around the engine since new, but the rest is without a hint of yellow.

What a bummer.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

VRAlexander,

I hate to hear anything bad about the CGT, but to hear that Porsche is treating anyone this way is worse. I guess this is why they didn't score nearly as well in the JDPower service ratings as they did in their initial quality ratings.

If you do sell, let me say it has been a lot of fun for us "lesser" Porsche owners to live vicariously through your experiences, videos...etc.

By the way, I was at a Lambo launch event last night in Dallas and a CGT owner (Fayence/Black) drove up. I looked inside and out at his CF and noticed a yellow tint. However, I must say that had I never seen this thread, the rest of that car is so incredible that I would have never noticed the yellowing. And I consider myself a stickler for details. Good luck.

bbs993tt
Old 07-21-2007, 01:31 AM
smoothcab
Intermediate

Alex, Good to hear from you again, unfortunately it is under these circumstances. Must be from all that revving you've been doing...
Loved his response of "Eat me"
Old 07-21-2007, 11:37 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by fayence
If you could post some pictures, that would be great. I'd like to see what is happening to yours and I can take a look at mine as well to compare.
Fayence,

Just curious. Did you compare the pics to the CF in your car?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:52 PM
fayence
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Fayence,

I didn't see any pics. Where are they?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:55 PM
fayence
Instructor

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
Fayence,

In the engine compartment, now that i look, it definitely has some yellowing. I don't think the rest is as bad, but i'll look at it closely now that i have something to compare it to.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:34 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by smoothcab
Alex, Good to hear from you again, unfortunately it is under these circumstances. Must be from all that revving you've been doing...
Loved his response of "Eat me"
Thanks...I find it funny to see posts like "he's revving the CGT to redline in every public place" and "he is revving her every chance he gets to get attention"....lol...these people DONT KNOW ME and yet they pass judgement...and if I wanted attention, the windows would NOT be tinted and my face would be all over my CGT videos that are on-line!! The Beverly Hills video the car was taching a MAX of 2600RPMS (before we made the right turn and accelerated)....That guy was something else...I have never had a response like that before...good to see you on here...

Back to the thread...I FINALLLLYYYY spoke with Porsche today!! They said that Porsche AG is willing to make a "one time exception" for me and replace ALL the yellowing carbon on the car!!! He is going to call me before the close of Biz on Tuesday (tomorrow) and make the arrangements.... lets see what happens...
Old 07-24-2007, 02:14 PM
ATL944
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Back to the thread...I FINALLLLYYYY spoke with Porsche today!! They said that Porsche AG is willing to make a "one time exception" for me and replace ALL the yellowing carbon on the car!!! He is going to call me before the close of Biz on Tuesday (tomorrow) and make the arrangements.... lets see what happens...
Thats great! So does this mean you will be keeping the car, because I sure would hate to see an end to those great videos.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
GBGT
Advanced

Originally Posted by ATL944
Thats great! So does this mean you will be keeping the car, because I sure would hate to see an end to those great videos.
+1

Last edited by GBGT; 07-24-2007 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:10 PM
stefan einz
Instructor

That's excellent news - glad that Porsche have seen sense - hard for them to argue against your claim given their statements in the technical manual.

Kind regards

Steve
Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Well...it took them 48 hours to get back to me because my voicemail was not taking messages??? ...ok...and now their tune has changed!!!!! All they are willing to cover are the two door panels and nothing else!!! I am BEYOND furious at this point. I explained, in a very calm way, that unless they covered everything like our original conversation I was going to take this case to the EXTREME.... I explained that my entire desk was going to be cleared of everything else and Porsche Cars PCNA as well as AG was going to be my new focus in life... I am willing to take out full page adds in all the major car publications and print my story.....furthermore I already have an attorney that will file a lawsuit against Porsche and every other CGT owner that has this problem he will represent by on my dime! I am BEYOND PISSED OFF...This is complete BS!! They give me the run around for months and then they say that they will take care of the problem only to go back on their word two days later! What would you guys do in my shoes?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Chris Berendes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sue them because they deserve it! Don't make it the center of your life, let the lawyer get the gray hair over that. Don't waste your energy on negative things, rather spend it on your next big positive project maybe the Koenigsegg :-)

good luck
chris
Old 07-26-2007, 09:17 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

There is a guy on Rennteam who claims to know someone who is connected with the manufacturer who supplied parts for the Enzo and the CGT.
One can only assume this is the CF maker ?
He says that whilst Ferrari specified the minimum possible (cheapest) in quailty Porsche specified cost no object ie the best....

If this is true (could be internet twaddle for all I know) then Porsche should expect the manufacturer to stand by the product.

The problem is I understand Porsche comissioned 2000 units of all 980 parts and the residue left after the 1282 build is all that exists for spares for the CGT.

This could become very costly for Porsche if they admit there is a problem, replace yellowing parts then run out of inventory forcing a very expensive new manufacturing run......

VR if the photos you show are the extent of the yellowed parts then IMO, the doors,roof panel,dash CF,spoiler mount and rear aero undertray should definately be covered. The engine frame is not really visual and would involve a big dismatling job which I would personally consider a bit overkill. It is when/if the interior tub CF starts to yellow the the real fun starts......

It will be fascinating what their (Ps) defence will be when the the tech manual brags about the effective PU coating specifically being there to prevent yellowing
Old 07-26-2007, 10:16 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Just an FYI, this is the company that did the CF:

http://www.atrgroup.it/eng/atrcomposites/index.htm

Quick Reply: Yellowing Carbon Fiber