Yellowing Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Let's wait for about 10 years and reevaluate this issue.
I guess you missed the example of the McLaren ROAD CAR how many times now?

They are now 11 years old, zero issues with the CF.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Is yellowing an issue or is it merely cosmetic? The mcLarenm is hardly an example of a production car. Few built at a million a copy. Have to be returned to the FACTORY for service. Not convenient if you happen to be outside the UK.
I have no experience with CF parts except on aircraft. A stressed member made of CF is replaced (at stupid cost) if it is damaged. Again one cannot compare the cost of aircraft maintenance with a production car I think. A set of brake rotors on a private jet costs $100,000.

Best,
Old 09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based upon what I have seen to date (on my car and others) it doesn't even rise to the level of a cosmetic issue.

The original poster was to provide a copy of the response from Porsche but he has gone quiet.

Overblown emotional reactions (and perceived slights) are sometimes nothing more than a rationalization to pursue the latest whim.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
...Have to be returned to the FACTORY for service. Not convenient if you happen to be outside the UK...

Best,
There are authorized service facilities in the U.S.

Greg A
Old 09-17-2007, 03:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks Greg. That is a change from a while back. Where are they?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:26 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob,

Oxnard, CA & NJ. They are BMW's facilities.

Greg A
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by macfly
I didn't read this entire thread, so if this is mentioned forgive me, but the Bugatti, the Enzo and the CGT carbon tubs are all made at/by the same supplier in Italy, so buying a Veyron to get away fom this issue will be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

I do hope all you CGT owners find a happy outcome in this sad tale, good luck.
I'm told that company is no longer around and the lost so much money on those three projects alone that it killed them
Old 09-21-2007, 01:41 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sharkster
I'm told that company is no longer around and the lost so much money on those three projects alone that it killed them
Not true, ATR is still alive and well.

http://www.atrgroup.it/eng/atrcomposites/index.htm
Old 10-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 PM
lager99
Advanced

Not Acceptable...
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 AM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I am also very interested what the outcome will be. I am in the market for a GT and have looked at several GT's owned by friends and the yellowing really disturbs me....

I am not a concours guy, but love to drive my cars and thought oh well a little yellowing no big deal, but seeing it in person it sucks really bad

Especially when you have carbon which looks normal right next to the yellowing stuff. The brace in the back is the worst.

How will this effect the market for these cars??? I think we are currently only seeing the tip of the iceberg and lots of owners are looking "the other way" right now because the car has so much to offer otherwise.

I guess time will tell.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:59 AM
RufMD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschemeister
I am also very interested what the outcome will be. I am in the market for a GT and have looked at several GT's owned by friends and the yellowing really disturbs me....

I am not a concours guy, but love to drive my cars and thought oh well a little yellowing no big deal, but seeing it in person it sucks really bad

Especially when you have carbon which looks normal right next to the yellowing stuff. The brace in the back is the worst.

How will this effect the market for these cars??? I think we are currently only seeing the tip of the iceberg and lots of owners are looking "the other way" right now because the car has so much to offer otherwise.

I guess time will tell.

In time, it will be called patina....
Old 10-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I was looking a GT yesterday that has 1600 miles on it, never driven in rain, is garaged in a heated/cooled garage and say that the brace in the back of it is yellowing slightly. The fender liner next to it is still perfect...
Old 10-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Bill S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmorris3
I was looking a GT yesterday that has 1600 miles on it, never driven in rain, is garaged in a heated/cooled garage and say that the brace in the back of it is yellowing slightly. The fender liner next to it is still perfect...
Does the CGT use two different types of materials? That is, for the structural parts, I think Porsche uses carbon-fiber-reinforced-plastic (CFP). The other parts may use a different composition. Is it the plastic in the CFP that breaks down in the UV rays? If so, it may be a much more serious problem than just cosmetic.

The fact that the yellowing is occuring after only a few years is disturbing. That implies there is a finite life to these pieces from UV rays and possibly even mechanical stresses. Porsche should have a public announcement that clearly states what's happening here and what this means to CGT owners. If they don't, I suspect it may be a bigger issue than just yellowing.

BTW, I agree that carbon street cars are overkill. We've already seen lighter street cars with less exotic materials, including new cars coming from Porsche. Remember that the CGT is built off an existing racing design, not a street design. I doubt Porsche would ever again make a street car in carbon.

The only possible advantage I see in a carbon street car is the strength of the tub providing increased safety for the driver and occupant. However, a much less expensive roll cage does that also.

Current sport cars are too big, and much effort is spent making these big cars lighter. GM initiated the smaller sport car with the Z06. Ferrari will likely be the lead in the next generation of smaller sport cars. In 10 years, I predict the current sport cars will look way too big.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
porschemeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts

I looked at a 1997 911 GT1 yesterday and ALL the carbon fiber pieces (doors, part of the rear frame which is wrapped around tubes) is just fine. No yellowing whatsoever...go figure a car 10 years old

Quick Reply: Yellowing Carbon Fiber