Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yellowing Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 06:19 PM
art
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a carbon bike, 4 years, 8K miles and no yellowing.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:36 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by art
This is a Porsche problem...my carbon bike has not faded or turned color....neither has my Girard Perrequax Carbon watch or for that matter the F40!!!

I have left several messages for Porsche since thursday without a returned call....I received in the mail today all the advertising info for Du-Pont Registry and Excellence magazine...I am having an Advertising agent design a one page add that will run in both for the next year..I am also considering hiring a top Add firm to do a campaign on this...I have also contacted Robert (Seinfeld's curator) to see if his two CGT's have started to turn yellow...Concorso Italiano is coming up and I would like to put a one page add in the main catalog if possiable...It is too late to sponsor the event and post banners ....If you guys have any ideas on how else I can get my story across to as many people as possible please PM me....I am open to all suggestions and budget is not an issue...

Thanks
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Update...Tom from PCNA just called me and said that he needs a couple more days to get a final answer back from Porsche... back to the tick...tock.....tick....tock....tick....tok...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 AM
dsfnctn
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 25+ years in the boat building industry building composite racing sailboats. Since I am also into porsches my company dabbles in a few interesting projects . Last year I successfully put back together a Carrera GT that had been totaled by the insurance company. The car had gone into a pole on the driverside. The door was exploded, rocker in about five pieces, and the tub was broken at the box section. The undertray was also trashed.
My company is more than capable to take on any type of composite repair on these cars .
To start with you have to understand that the clear coat has failed to protect the epoxy resin from UV damage. I would like to get my hands on a piece and see what I could do to repair the finish. I will tell you this . Total BS that the Carbon should be yellowing. UGH!!!!
See attached pics of carbon rig . (Sits outside in LA. 5+years, Been to Hawaii4times,Europe,Mexico) This rig gets so hot sitting in the hot marina in you can barly touch it and no yellowing.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 AM
dsfnctn
Instructor

more carbon pics
Attached Images       
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Sweet, very nice. By chance, is that a carbon fiber toilet bowl in the 4th picture?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:47 AM
dk996tt
Instructor

i hear from the guys at ecacp that the ccxr is supposed to unbelieveable. i would definitely check that car out before making a decision on the veyron!
Old 08-01-2007, 12:40 PM
dsfnctn
Instructor

The work was done for Rothsport racing in Oregon for one of there customers. I work with them and they dissambled the car to provide access for the repairs and reassemble .
My shop is in Seattle. We have the largest 5 axes router in Washington and we have been involved building the Cup boat for BMW Oracale, and in the last cup ONE World.
Yes that is a composite toilet.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:00 PM
GoFastKindaGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by dk996tt
i hear from the guys at ecacp that the ccxr is supposed to unbelieveable. i would definitely check that car out before making a decision on the veyron!
Just received the contract package from Koenigsegg on CCXR. 18 months out. Nice piece.

Also, I checked the carbon work on my 2003 Audi RS6: 41/2 years and not a sign of yellowing on the interior or engine carbon bits.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:56 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by VRAlexander
Update...Tom from PCNA just called me and said that he needs a couple more days to get a final answer back from Porsche... back to the tick...tock.....tick....tock....tick....tok...
Well its Thursday and STILL NO PHONE CALL from Porsche...I am not Surprised at all anymore...
Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsfnctn
The work was done for Rothsport racing in Oregon for one of there customers. I work with them and they dissambled the car to provide access for the repairs and reassemble .
My shop is in Seattle. We have the largest 5 axes router in Washington and we have been involved building the Cup boat for BMW Oracale, and in the last cup ONE World.
Yes that is a composite toilet.

Very nice work!! Can you please PM me your number?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by art
Graig Calfee will sell you a carbon bike in 'nude', (ie, no paint) but recommends that you keep it covered with a UV protectant. Otherwise, the carbon fiber will break down. Hmmm, could the yellowing have been prevented with a little suntan lotion?

OTOH, it sounds like some of the carbon fiber parts are yellowing even though they aren't exposed to sun. Correct?

dave
Old 08-03-2007, 05:25 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by mvd
, it sounds like some of the carbon fiber parts are yellowing even though they aren't exposed to sun. Correct?

dave
That is correct!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 PM
dsfnctn
Instructor

I PM my contact info. Did you recieve it?
Colin
Old 08-04-2007, 04:44 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by dsfnctn
I PM my contact info. Did you recieve it?
Colin
I just did...thank you....I will give you a call..

Quick Reply: Yellowing Carbon Fiber