Sponsored by:

Yellowing Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stefan einz
VRAlexander - very sorry to read about the difficulty you are having with Porsche.

I find their stance very hard to understand. You, as the consumer, have no relationship with the Cfk manufacturer, only with Porsche, so your only available source of redress is through Porsche. For Porsche to suggest otherwise is incomprehensible.

I have consulted the Porsche official technical manual on the CGT again, and it clearly states (my bolding):

Given this, I cannot see how they can resist a warranty claim.

If it is not an imposition, would it be possible to post pictures of the yellow CfK so that it is clear what degree of yellowing is occuring? Thanks.

Kind regards

Steve
Thank you for your research! I will post some photos...
Old 07-17-2007, 03:12 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

VR- I thought you loved your CGT!
I understand your frustration with P-AG but to let go of a car you love over some yellowing of the CF is a bummer.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by mac993
VR- I thought you loved your CGT!
I understand your frustration with P-AG but to let go of a car you love over some yellowing of the CF is a bummer.
I have to upload some photos...'some yellowing' is a understatement!!! I still love the car....ever since I got behind the wheel nothing else mattered! I usually get bored with a car after about three to four months...not this time...she puts a smile on my face everytime I drive her... It is much more than just the carbon-fiber that sent me over the edge. I called the 1-800-PORSCHE number today to find out status and to my surprise they had no log of the incidents that I reported. Amy, the operator helping me, indubitably felt my frustrations as we spoke for about 30minutes today. She called me back one hour later to apologize again and re-assured me that someone will be contacting me within 24 hours to hopefully resolve this issue....let's see if they step up to the plate this time...
Old 07-18-2007, 01:22 AM
mac993
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear. Nothing's worse then getting the run around, esp. after you've spent that kind of money on the car. Hopefully Porshe steps up! Good luck.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:29 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

I don't know if you purchased the car new, but if the car was purchased through a porsche dealer you should push back on them. I had some defective carbon fiber on my 04 turbo cab. The strip under the windshield was yellowing and pulling away from the dashboard and my dealership(Beverly Hills Porsche) replaced it under warranty.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:28 AM
fayence
Instructor

If you could post some pictures, that would be great. I'd like to see what is happening to yours and I can take a look at mine as well to compare.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:33 AM
SciFrog
Racer

I had a wood steering wheel replaced under warranty on a 996 cab... I can't imagine they wouldn't stand behin some CF parts in the CGT...
Old 07-19-2007, 05:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SciFrog
I had a wood steering wheel replaced under warranty on a 996 cab... I can't imagine they wouldn't stand behin some CF parts in the CGT...
The CGT is not just "some carbon parts" it is structurely carbon, these are not simple stick on bits like on other Porsches hence why the problem may be a little more "difficult".....
Look forward to some pics VR if you will
Old 07-19-2007, 09:32 PM
VRAlexander
Instructor

For starters, Porsche's "someone will contact you within 24hours" statement is out the window! It has been 53 hours since I was told this and still no phone call...very dissapointing...I have received better customer service from YUGO north america back in the day than I have from Porsche AG today and that was a $3,995.00 (retail) car in 1986 as opposed to $500K for the CGT...photos WILL be up tonight...

RichK and SciFrog-
This is on Porsche AG (Germany) level and has nothing to do with my dealer, who has been 100% with me on this whole issue. Eric Schaefer, the service manager at Stead, has been pushing Porsche AG with phone calls and e-mails since I brought this issue up to him! Like I said before,
Old 07-19-2007, 10:54 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stead..

That is the Dealer that has been less that forthright with their GT3 RS customers, pulling their slots and selling them on the open market over sticker. Two documented forum posters, no less.

Anything Stead tells you has to be suspect! They are not your friend, I would say their Porsche colors have "yellowed".
Old 07-20-2007, 12:14 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Here are some photos:

Old 07-20-2007, 03:02 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn Alex sad to see her go, CGT is perfect, so amazing! Can we at least trade??
Old 07-20-2007, 06:33 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

In Porsche's CGT Technical manual it states:
"visible CF is given a special UV resistant clear varnish to prevent UV related ageing and asscoiated yellowing"

This is a clear case of the varnish not doing what Porsche state it should be doing, it is within the warranty period, it should be covered.......

How extensive is the yellowing, has it hit the door sills or inner CF - if it has then that would be a virtual whole new chassis.......
Old 07-20-2007, 06:35 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

It saddens me too....I love that car more than anything I have owned before (Including the McLaren F1)...I hope I can find some parallel in the Koenigsegg CCXR...
Old 07-20-2007, 06:52 AM
VRAlexander
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colm
Stead..

That is the Dealer that has been less that forthright with their GT3 RS customers, pulling their slots and selling them on the open market over sticker. Two documented forum posters, no less.

Anything Stead tells you has to be suspect! They are not your friend, I would say their Porsche colors have "yellowed".
I know several people that had problems with their MB dealership....I have no idea about their dealership sales ethics since I never purchased a car through them....however Eric is the Service Manager and I will vouch for him anyday...he has his act together and has gone over the top for me several times...Bill is the CGT tech and a great example of a very professional mechanic that knows his stuff...After all I do drive the CGT from Vegas to them to have her serviced!

Quick Reply: Yellowing Carbon Fiber