Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Now I have DRIVEN a Carrera GT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 06:37 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Ok Now I have DRIVEN a Carrera GT!

Oh my gosh! Had to go on business to the same town where Chuck lives and we got together for about an hour. He has an amazing collection of cars and when we were done looking at them he says "Do you want to drive the GT?" I was like fumbling for words. Does a fat man want to go to the all you can eat buffet?

Heck Yeah I want to drive that bad boy, but at the same time I am a bit nervous about driving Chuck's half million dollar supercar!

Anyhow it was AWESOME!

Guess what I didn't stall it once! I drove about 10 miles or so and it was FANTASTIC! Thanks so much Chuck!

Back to work BUDDY I have to own one of these cars, so BACK TO WORK!

Old 09-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why is everyone so surprised to not stall the car? The clutch is a non issue.

I had mine out all day yesterday and the only time I stalled it is when I left the E-brake on after parking it and tried to drive away. LOL

Clutch to me feels no more difficult than any other high HP car?

Last edited by Les Quam; 09-19-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2005, 06:53 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Les,

It is just because of all the horror stories which apparently are not true. I had zero issues driving the car. It was SWEET!
Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Les Quam
Pro

Remember BUDMAN any body can drive a CGT, but only real men can drive one with the parking brake on! LOL

I was pretty surprised myself when I drove one for the first time and the clutch was so easy. I had cancelled my first CGT order after reading the horror stories and it was only after Ben got his that I gave the car a second chance. Of course the horror stories saved me a lot of money on the purchase price so I can't complain.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:02 PM
eyeglaskid
Advanced

WHERE DOES CHUCK LIVE??????????
I would arrange my year around the visit.

Congrats on pulling off the ride. Me next?

Buellar?? anybody??
Old 09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

That info is not for me to divulge.

Les
How many miles do you have on yours? What color combo?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:41 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Les Quam
why is everyone so surprised to not stall the car? The clutch is a non issue.

I had mine out all day yesterday and the only time I stalled it is when I left the E-brake on after parking it and tried to drive away. LOL

Clutch to me feels no more difficult than any other high HP car?

funny i stall the Turbo after getting used to the clutch on the CGT.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:43 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 351 Posts

Moral of the story, Chuck is cool.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:46 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Yeah way cool!
Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Steve N.
Racer

CGT: To drive it is to love it. All the b.s. comes from those who have not experienced this car.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 AM
DMin
Instructor

I dunno, Steve. Actually Nick et. al. bring up some valid points. However, I would tend to say that they are missing the "point" of the Carrera GT, and therefore the car is most certainly NOT for them.

I love mine, and I have had a taste of some other significant sports cars (GT3, BMW M3 with SMG, Maserati Spyder), with and without driver aids. I prefer the Carrera GT above them all.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:36 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are anyone of you driving it ***** out at a track?
Curious to hear someone's description of it's handling dynamics compared to a GT3 at the track, BUT by someone who has driven BOTH cars HARD at a track.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Woodster
Drifting

I have driven hard at the track and ridden in CGT at the same track (in various porsche
turbo cars). The torque is stupendous (I believe at about 3000 rpm it has more torque
than a gt3 has at peak torque!), for pulling out of corners, I am talking about instantaneous
power, INSTANTANEOUS!. The Brakes made my 993TT with pagids (not a bad set up I might
say) seem like I was trying to stop an overweighted dump truck in comparison. ALL this
and my buddy was taking it easy. In Germany at Leipzig, I like most anyone else that has done
the trip: drove a gt3 on their fabulous track and then rode with Timo Bernhard or similar
in a Carrera GT. Can you say NOT EVEN COMPARABLE ?? They are not. period.
Marty K.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 PM
DMin
Instructor

RR

I have taken all my previous cars to the same track. It is not a high speed track, but is a mostly 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear twisty road course. The longest straight is less than 1/4 mile. I have taken all of the cars that I have owned (sports cars, ayways) to the same track.

The GT3 was, previous to the Carrera GT, head and shoulders above the M3 and Maserati in terms of track performance. This is not unexpected. The Carrera GT is far far superior to the GT3.

Behind the wheel, what I found peculiar about the Carrera GT (and maybe this is true for other mid-engined cars?) is that unlike the GT3, trail-braking into turns would typically unsettle the car, at least in my novice hands. Driving the CGT, I would set up for the turn by braking and downshifting when necessary, begin my turn and ease back onto the throttle progressively through the turn.

I never had the ***** to nail the throttle out of turns in the CGT, but once on a straight, the power of the CGT was simply ferocious when compared to the GT3. My first laps of the day in the CGT were 3 seconds faster than the fastest laps I had turned in the GT3. By the end of the day, I had dropped a full 6 seconds off of my best times in the GT3.

YMMV.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Woodster
[...]In Germany at Leipzig, I like most anyone else that has done
the trip: drove a gt3 on their fabulous track and then rode with Timo Bernhard or similar
in a Carrera GT. Can you say NOT EVEN COMPARABLE ?? They are not. period.
Marty K.
I've been in Leipzig twice last year. Somehow, I still wonder how it would have been to get a ride in a GT3 with Timo Bernhard at the wheel. I guess anyone would have found it extremely impressive as well. Maybe Porsche should have done it: first a few laps in the GT3, then a few ones in the CGT. That would have made the comparison clear(er).

Greetings,
--Pierre

Quick Reply: Ok Now I have DRIVEN a Carrera GT!