Sponsored by:

Ok Now I have DRIVEN a Carrera GT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RR
Are anyone of you driving it ***** out at a track?
Curious to hear someone's description of it's handling dynamics compared to a GT3 at the track, BUT by someone who has driven BOTH cars HARD at a track.
I probably have around 1400 track miles on mine, and I've been driving it hard. I've also driven my GT3, 996TT, Challenge Stradale, 997S etc on the track. The CGT is so far beyond those cars, it's not fair. In fact, it's kind of spoiled me for any other car on the track. I've talked with the owner and instructors from the local race school, who have campaigned Daytona Prototypes and GT3RSRs, and they said the CGT is right up there. My times at the local track are in the realm of dedicated race cars.

Compared to the GT3, the CGT is lower, corners flatter, is less nervous, and just smoother. The steering is not as lively as the GT3, but turn-in is excellent. The brakes require a little more pedal pressure. The clutch effort is similar. The CGT has a lot more instantaneous torque than the GT3. The ride is actually less harsh than the GT3. Also, the seats in the CGT are better and lighter than the GT3 sport seats.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:21 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Ray,

How many miles total do you have in your Carrera GT? I think you should buy another Porsche you don't have enough!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:34 PM
Woodster
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pierre:
To clarify, this was put on by PCNA for people that had ordered Carrera GT's. (i didn't)
March 04: ALL my buddies (3) rode with Timo Bernhard in a Carrera GT (Yellow).
I actually rode with Marc Lieb (who won the GT2 class at LeMans this year) in a Carrera GT.
I then DROVE myself in GT3, GT2, C4S. It was a dream come true!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by BuddyG
Ray,

How many miles total do you have in your Carrera GT? I think you should buy another Porsche you don't have enough!

I'm just over 3000 miles now I need to go on a Porsche diet soon; too much of anything can't be good...
Old 10-05-2005, 07:11 AM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

I was recently at a track event with a Carrera GT and it was definately one of the fastest cars there. It is too bad you guys can't get track tires for it because I know this guy was complaining that the street tires were a little loose in the corners.

Can't wait to get mine!
Old 10-26-2005, 07:45 PM
johnlee
Instructor

I read in one of the UK mags (Evo?) that Porsche modified the clutch in response to widespread criticism about the finicky clutch. They noted that the CGT (which they were testing in a comparo) clutch was much smoother than the one in first CGT they drove.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:35 AM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by johnlee
I read in one of the UK mags (Evo?) that Porsche modified the clutch in response to widespread criticism about the finicky clutch. They noted that the CGT (which they were testing in a comparo) clutch was much smoother than the one in first CGT they drove.
I read that too. I think the author was only guessing that Porsche improved the clutch. I don't know if that is a fact, although Porsche does running changes without notices.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:31 AM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray G
I read that too. I think the author was only guessing that Porsche improved the clutch. I don't know if that is a fact, although Porsche does running changes without notices.
I've also read quite a few posts that Porsche "changed" the clutch after the early cars were delivered. I'm not sure I completely believe it.

When I drove two different Porsche-owned CGTs at a Barber Motorsports Park event last Spring, the clutch action seemed exactly like my Feb-2005-delivered CGT. I could feel no difference of any kind between their demo cars and my brand-new ride. The factory cars had edition numbers in the 001X range.

Maybe the author had become more accustomed to the engine-clutch behavior in the second run?

It is possible (perhaps likely) to stall any CGT if the driver is not ready for the small range of engagement take-up in the clutch pedal movement combined with the absolute lack of rotary inertia of the engine. When I first drove mine home from the dealership, I stalled it as I started up from a traffic light 40 yards from the dealer's driveway. I was petrified of rolling backward into another car while starting from rest all the way home. If I had filed a driving report at that point, I would have been quite critical of "the clutch".

After another 20 miles of driving it, I figured out what I was doing wrong and starting from rest became second nature. I have yet to accumulate 1,000 miles on the odometer, but I now feel as if the car has become an extension of my body when I drive it. I now need no more than an initial 1200 rpm to get going, even on a steep incline.

I chalk up any talk of "clutch" issues as driver acclimatization deficiencies.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:14 PM
Ray G
Pro

Originally Posted by W8MM
....When I first drove mine home from the dealership, I stalled it as I started up from a traffic light 40 yards from the dealer's driveway. I was petrified of rolling backward into another car while starting from rest all the way home. If I had filed a driving report at that point, I would have been quite critical of "the clutch".....
I did the same thing. When I drive it now, my feet don't even think about it. It's just like any other clutch to me. The funny thing is, if I'm stopped at a light in traffic, feeling pressure, and I start thinking about it, then I am not very smooth!
Old 10-31-2005, 05:22 AM
Sobe
Pro

Ray you have two 997's ............. how is the difference with the X51 ?

Quick Reply: Ok Now I have DRIVEN a Carrera GT!