Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So what do you guys do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Thread. I'm in the same boat as these young guys, albeit a bit older. I've decided that my path is business. It requires a certain personality, and a certain dedication to open and run your own venture. I've realized working part time jobs, though my work ethic is high, is just bland, unfulfilling, and generally boring.
I have come to realize i can wake up, work all day long on my own business and go to sleep excited and fulfilled. This is the path for me. I am currently working on two seperate ventures, one of which has some great potential as something I can relativly comfortably live off of at the age of 21. I'm also currently trying to decide what university and major I want to transfer into. I went to University of North Dakota for commercial aviation, before deciding that being a pilot is more of a hobby then a career for me. I transfer back home to finish my GE's at community college. If anybody has some insight about their education and what they would recomend for me, I would very much appreciate it.
I'm working on a retail business. I felt I can combine what I love, and have a great knowledge base with a business to learn what it takes to become succesful in operating a business. It will be called Apex Sport. I am also working on opening a track event company called Club Sport Track Events, which provides many un charted and challenged methods of making money in such a venture. I am always opened for advice, especially from those that have been there before.
Yes, my future is vastly unknown in what will become, but I know that I have the drive, and the ability to succeed.
~Eyal
Old 07-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Schlegel
8th Gear

What a coincidence? I didn't go into my passions in my original post but I love design too! I've been drawing homes and other buildings since I was little and love all aspects of design. I took drafting class this past year (just basic) and I'm not exactly crazy about all the technicality, but that part of the profession seems to be a small downside to the more creative design part of it. I've talked to quite a few architects and artchitect students and they seem to love it. I just don't know if it's going to be *easy* (and I use that word relatively) to be an architect, with the amount of students going into the school in our area. I started out with a passion for residential design, but than I started experimenting more with commercial and the marketing image side of things and I find that this gets me the most excited. This, combined with my passion for automobiles, has led me on many occassions to create dealership designs and layouts (I know it's really specific).

As much confidence as I can have, I just don't know if I'd be able to make it in the architectual field....how do you go about your architecture business, CP?

And thank you for posting that wonderful speech!

Thank you so much!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:01 AM
RuFF_Fanatic
Instructor

I'm fifteen years old and have big dreams and goals that are itching to be fufilled. I really want to get into medicine. One specific category is pediatrics because i love working with kids and i know that my hard work and dedication will help me make it. Can any of you give me some advice on what colleges to look at or even some majors that will help me get into medical school. Thank you for any suggestions and i truly do appreciate it.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Once again, great thread. I, as I am sure others, really appreciate the words of advice and inspiration from those that have already "made it".

I am a bit older as well, but have always had big dreams and aspirations from a very young age in regards to business; i.e. I wanna be a millionaire before 30, etc. My childhood hero's were "Alex P. Keaton" and "Gordon Gecko". For the younger folks, they were prominent in the 80's

Not going to make it as I turn 30 in Sept., but, as the common trait here seems to be "DO NOT GIVE UP". I always tell people, "if you never quit playing the game, you will never loose"

I also took the real estate path to riches. Unfortunealy, I just got my company going right around 2000 when the stock bubble burst, causing the interest rates to jump tremendously and stalled the housing market. I also had a fair bit of capital in the market as well

So, now I am on my "second go round". Going to keep the full time job and try to work on my passion in my free time. As the first time around it was my sole source of income. I do not advise people to take that big of a risk, although it certainly is a motivator to know you and only you are responsible for your paycheck. The problem that I always had in that was, at least in real estate, there are a lot of factors and other people that are completely out of your control. Through trial and error, this is to those that are also getting into or in the "flipping" game, you will find ways to always do it better the next time.

JUST DON'T GIVE UP.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:12 PM
mkell
Intermediate

RuFF_Fanatic: My dad is an Emergency Room Physician and he went to Saint Louis University. It's a pretty good school for medicine. I do see that you live in So.Cal. so it might be kind of far. Take a look at princetonreview.com to look at college rankings, reviews, etc. It can be really helpful if you know what you are looking for. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2005, 02:54 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RuFF_Fanatic
I'm fifteen years old and have big dreams and goals that are itching to be fufilled. I really want to get into medicine. One specific category is pediatrics because i love working with kids and i know that my hard work and dedication will help me make it. Can any of you give me some advice on what colleges to look at or even some majors that will help me get into medical school. Thank you for any suggestions and i truly do appreciate it.
I am an Orthopedic Surgeon. I graduated high school in 1981, BA from an Ivy League in 1985, and medical school in 1989. I entered private practice in 1995. Thus, fourteen years from graduating high school until my first real job. The field of medicine and the male:female ratio of medical students continues to evolve and change. What was true 20 years ago when I entered medical school is not necessarily true today.
My advice is to get into the best college you can afford, do REALLY well and score high on the MCAT's. Don't saddle yourself with a bunch of debt as it may come back to haunt you. When it comes to choosing a medical school, go to the best. Generally speaking the quality of your residency is often determined by how well you do in med school, what research you do and most importantly who you know. Academic faculty are all known to one another and can pull you into the residency of your choice. More often than not the residency you choose will determine your job and where you practice. Good luck and keep an open mind. You may want to go into pediatrics now, but find other fields of medicine more exciting. By the way, you may be surprised to know that Pediatricians generally make less than truck drivers and alot less than most longshoreman.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:41 AM
jimbone
Advanced

Originally Posted by RuFF_Fanatic
RUFF FANATIC, agree with orthopods previous thread. I'm an Emergency Physician who's been out of residency for one year now. It's a long and challenging process that requires a lot of dedication and hard work. I say get into the best schools that you can (and afford), and do the best that you can. Keep your mind open as to specialty, and get as much exposure as you can (volunteer, etc) I've wanted to be Emergency Physician since about fifteen as well, and have focused on it since. Get exposure to the various fields (I worked as a janitor in the hospital in college for experience). The first decision you need to make is between medicine (and it's subspecialties) and surgery (and it's subspecialties), and you have a long way before you need to decide. These days medical schools tend to focus more and more on well-roundedness, personality, and uniqueness in addition to grades as most people at that level have good grades. Know that some specialties are more difficult to get residencies in (i.e. Emergency medicine, ortho, general surg, OB/Gyn, derm, opthalmology) than others (internal med, family practice, peds), but without a doubt you have to do what you love and are interested in, as it's hard enough even when you love it. I work 3-4 days a week, when I'm off I'm off (i.e. no pager, no office staff or overhead), get paid well, and am constantly challenged at work. It definitely has it's headaches, but to me is worth it. True, peds tends to make less than other specialties IN GENERAL, but you have to balance quality of life and do what you want to do. For some specialties, there isn't enough money in the world to pay me to do them, and if you go into a field for mainly monetary reasons, you will be bitter and angry at work, which will carry over to your home and personal life. The path to MD (and life)is a series of hoops to jump through, and right now, all you need to focus on is school, getting into college of your choice, and having fun (definitely important throughout). I'm rambling, but work hard, stay balanced and sane, and best of luck!

p.s. I don't have a CGT, but a 911 that I LOVE!
Old 07-08-2005, 07:56 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Blade-MD
By the way, you may be surprised to know that Pediatricians generally make less than truck drivers and alot less than most longshoreman.
I know an average salary for a pediatrician is around $150,000 and i know several that are making well over $200,000 so you think an average truck driver makes more then that ?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:54 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by Y.S
I know an average salary for a pediatrician is around $150,000 and i know several that are making well over $200,000 so you think an average truck driver makes more then that ?
I think it depends what they are carrying in their trucks!
Old 07-08-2005, 05:58 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by themarsman
I think it depends what they are carrying in their trucks!
Old 07-09-2005, 10:52 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Y.S
I was actually trying to make a point that pediatricians are "underpaid" compared to their peers. Even at 200k, for all the years of training, hard work and long hours that they put in, they are really undercompensated. If you are trying to optimize income and take care of children then the various pediatric subspecialties and surgical fields in pediatrics are something to consider. If you are really interested in lifestyle you probably should steer way clear of the medical field. I really believe you have to sacrifice alot to pursue a career in medicine. For me it has been a passion. My 0.02 and thats about what it is worth.
http://www.allied-physicians.com/sal...n-salaries.htm
Old 07-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Sharkbait
Instructor

For big money, stay out of medicine. For what you put into it and what you get out of it, it's not worth it. The pediatrician making over 200k is guaranteed to be seeing 50+patients daily including saturdays working 8-6pm, and in all likelihood will be named in a few suits. And in medicine, you're only getting paid while you are working. That's a big downfall.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:15 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

This is exactly my points in my first post on this subject:
One should know one's life goal preferences before selecting a job/professional. Medicine is prestigeous and well-paid (by societal standards). However, given the gruelling education/training regiment, the long hours in practice, and the angst should one looses a patient, is that best for someone who is only looking for good pay to buy a CGT? I believe medicine (like priesthood) is truely a calling. If you don't love it, don't think about it.

There are many jobs/professions that pay well to start (investment banking. legal), but one rarely have a life, is that suitable to someone who is laid-back and cannot tolerate stress?

I don't have much time now, but I'll post my thoughts on being an architect in a littel bit.

CP
Old 07-09-2005, 12:22 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Much like anything else, Medicine offers a wide spectrum of financial remuneration. I think the effort I made in my education and training was a worthy journey. Any kind of professional education will open doors and opportunities that others may not have. How you take advantage of those opportunities depends on the individual. I met a guy once named Charles Sanders who started out as a Cardiologist and ended up CEO of Glaxo. He just made it happen. It's more about attitude, drive and determination. For me, medical education was a life changing event because it gave me the tools to discover and use my own strengths to their greatest advantage.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:42 PM
jimster
Intermediate

If your lazy, medicine isn't a career path you should take. If you're motivated and like being challenged, it's an excellent field. It's what you make of it that determines what you get out of it. The same goes for any profession.

Quick Reply: So what do you guys do for a living?