Sponsored by:

So what do you guys do for a living?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:33 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto Giorgio.

BTW MoneyBiz, in order to practice Medicine in the USA one must meet very strict criteria (incl. security clearance post 9/11). Besides passing a number of rigorous exams, if granted a J-1 Student Visa (if accepted into a U.S. Residency Training Program), after successful completion of said training, you then have to pass the U.S. medical licensing exams. (USMLE I, II, III and IV soon).

Then you apply for and hopefully qualify for a U.S. Alien Resident green card (after leaving the USA for at least 2 years and meeting other Immigration criteria) in order to legally stay in the USA (then you may apply for U.S. Citizenship after a number of years and meet other strict immigration criteria).

So you see not just any foreign trained Physician can practice here in America (BTW, most are the top medical graduates from their respective countries - unfortunate that they don't return there to serve their native citizens, but I don't blame them (they were lucky enough to make the grade then they too should enjoy the American Dream as you and I do.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:06 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
What do you think of doctors that went to Med school oversees and practice in America?
Is your query directed toward U.S. citizens who are denied admission to American medical schools and are trained elsewhere, or are you asking about citizens of other countries that wish to practice medicine here in the U.S.? In general I have found most foreign nationals to be excellent physicians. There are some bad apples:
http://www.hbharti.com/dr_momah.html
However, it is really too hard to generalize regarding quality of physician based strictly upon location of medical school education. Really a case by case basis. This is true of U.S. doctors. I did my internship with a female surgical intern that went to medical school from Johns Hopkins. She was cut from the program on 12/24. One of the best residents I worked with was an American citizen that did his first two years of medical school in Guadalajara, Mexico. Call it an epiphany or a wake-up-call. Whichever, it worked for him.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:34 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Deep Freeze, I make it a point to wash my hands in front of my patients for the exact same reason. I wash them before and after seeing patients. I agree that there are some who don't always do this and all I can say is that there is no excuse for it!

On the other hand, we have made many strives in Medicine and America's Healthcare is second to none!

BTW, America's greedy bottom feeding trial Lawyers, greedy backstabing Insurance Co. CEO's, and Uncle Sam as well as the many ignorant U.S. Citizens that will blame a physician for the inevitable ... are what's ruining our Profession and driving the costs of our health care and the availability of specially trained physicians away from us all!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:38 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

Ditto to Blades comments.

Oh, Deep Freeze, I forgot to mention how many of our citizen's don't wash their hands either - it is disgusting to see so many people in public restrooms come in, do their business, then walk out without washing their hands!!! Think of this whenever you shake someones hand or touch a door ****, etc,...
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

One of my neighbors didn't even break 1000 on his SAT and went to Med school in India. Is he a doctor yet, that I don't know but I hope not. Anyway I guess it is possible for someone who couldn't get into Medical school in America and go to school in India or some other place and become a good doctor but when it comes to medical care you can never been to careful. I live in Rockland County and if you have the time it is better to go to Westchester because the hosptials are no good in Rockland. I know someone who went there for a routine operation and she had to have her leg amputated. One of my friends who used to volunteer for the ambulence told me if it is serious they airlift the people to Westchester because the Doctors don't know what they are doing. I always thought you had to be smart to be a Doctor but that is not the case. I have a customer who is a Doctor that will save $600+ a month by refinacing and I didn't get the package back. I think that some people are a little above average in intelligence but studied for the exam and passed.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:26 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

And there was this other one who kept asking me the same questions over and over. That guy kept asking me why my rate was an eighth of a percent higher and I kept telling him it was a co-op second home and the rates are different for every building and the rates change every day but still he kept asking the same question over and over. Are you a party to a lawsuit? He said yes!
Old 08-04-2005, 08:45 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

MoneyBiz,
I know quite a few MD's who scored pretty high on SAT,MCAT and all those exams and who also attended the Medical schools here in US and guess what they turned out to be useless doctors,so what does that tell you,nothing ?
I personally think that saying the guy is going to medical school in India just 'coz he couldn't get into medical school here and that he would be a bad doctor is plain ignorant.My guess would be depending on his training he could be far better then many local doctors here,who knows.
I also think it's important for you to know that lots of foreign students go back to thier home countries for several reasons of which 2 most important are,
1)-Cost,as it is lot cheaper
2)-Takes on an average of atleast 3 less years to be a doctor.
Hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:20 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

I totally agree with Yasir's comments. Tests don't guarantee competence. Some people are poor test takers and very competent physicians and the opposite is also true. I suggest that you don't label all foreign trained physicians as inferior because of a bad experience with one in the past.

I've had similar encounters with Ivy League U.S. trained grads. and know many brilliant Foreign trained Docs. Get beyond your obvious predudice and go to the physician of your choice.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM
MoneyBiz
Racer

Originally Posted by Y.S
MoneyBiz,
I know quite a few MD's who scored pretty high on SAT,MCAT and all those exams and who also attended the Medical schools here in US and guess what they turned out to be useless doctors,so what does that tell you,nothing ?
I personally think that saying the guy is going to medical school in India just 'coz he couldn't get into medical school here and that he would be a bad doctor is plain ignorant.My guess would be depending on his training he could be far better then many local doctors here,who knows.
I also think it's important for you to know that lots of foreign students go back to thier home countries for several reasons of which 2 most important are,
1)-Cost,as it is lot cheaper
2)-Takes on an average of atleast 3 less years to be a doctor.
Hope that helps.
Oh come on, a score of 1000 is average. If someone scores below average on the SAT they should not practice medicine.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:02 PM
themarsman
Racer

Originally Posted by MoneyBiz
Oh come on, a score of 1000 is average. If someone scores below average on the SAT they should not practice medicine.
How does the SAT relate to medicine?

If someone trying to become a doctor flunked out of medical school in one country and then goes to another because it is easier I wouldn't want them to be my doctor. But if they scored low on the SAT's but did great in medical school I wouldn't have a problem with them at all.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 100 Posts

If you studied all the successful people throught history in determining what made them successful you will find one common thread.

INVINCIBLE DETERMINATION; a single mindedness that would not detract from their focus or goal.

Once this concept is embedded into an individual mindset then what follows naturally is the understanding and practice to quote a famous coach;

"Everyone wants to succeed but very few have the the will to PREPARE to succeed."

Determine what it is you want, get it by doing your homework and never giving up!

Follow these simple principles and you will get your CGT and more.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:55 AM
no1rc3ur
8th Gear

great thread
i think i've benefited alot from this thread
I'm only 17 right now (18 in one month) and i do have dreams just like you guys
all the advices and insights of life really helped me
thanks
Old 10-03-2005, 12:37 AM
RogueM3
Pro

Are there any lawyers who havent stepped up yet but who wouldnt mind giving advice to a college junior about law school and practicing in general?

I do want to thank the original poster for the thread creation, as well as to all of the posters who have taken this thread seriously. I have seen lots of threads similar to this on other exotic boards immediately ruined by jokers/people unwilling to share their knowledge.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:09 AM
ljugete
Rennlist Member

? Lawyer, Too many of those maggots (Trial Lawyers in general) around IMHO!
Old 10-03-2005, 03:36 PM
himichael
Instructor

i'm a lawyer maggot, but i only have a GT3, not a CGT, so maybe you don't want my advice.
:-)

Quick Reply: So what do you guys do for a living?