Sponsored by:

CGT suspension options

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 12:54 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 541 Posts
Default CGT suspension options

Has anyone experienced the Ohlins TTX or KW w/lift products on the GT? I know, I know, flame suit on and sacrilege to consider anything other than OEM ANYTHING on the GT, but I’ve heard some decent things about both products with a slight nod to the Ohlins on performance/feel/adjustability and KW given the functionality of lift. While the chassis, engine and trans of the GT will always be an epic starting point, I’m not so convinced, brakes, suspension and other wear/tear items are hands-off to fiddle with a bit away from oem??
Old 09-17-2021, 10:49 PM
smokeygt
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder what a Singer CGT would be like.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:51 PM
Me&You
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Has anyone experienced the Ohlins TTX or KW w/lift products on the GT? I know, I know, flame suit on and sacrilege to consider anything other than OEM ANYTHING on the GT, but I’ve heard some decent things about both products with a slight nod to the Ohlins on performance/feel/adjustability and KW given the functionality of lift. While the chassis, engine and trans of the GT will always be an epic starting point, I’m not so convinced, brakes, suspension and other wear/tear items are hands-off to fiddle with a bit away from oem??
I don't think there's anything sacrilegious about that, especially with the current supply issues. I know several owners that have had the Ohlins shocks fitted to their CGTs recently. This is partly due to the now more common failure of the original shocks (just aging out?) combined with the current lack of availability for nearly all things CGT and not wanting to wait indefinitely.

I know at least one guy is keeping the originals to be rebuilt at a later date so the car can be 100% original in the future.
The following users liked this post:
BlueGT3 (12-17-2022)
Old 09-18-2021, 04:35 AM
RS Clubsport
Pro

Received 346 Likes on 99 Posts

Been back and forth over the years on this and am going for KW this winter with FAL and RAL.

I want adjustment mainly but also the lift will be handy. I’ve been between Ohlins and KW no doubt the TTX is the superior damper but they don’t offer FAL.

RPM Technik in the UK supply and install the KW kit and are a Manthey approved agent.

jimmyrepasi (09-18-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 10:49 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

^^^the guy with +50k mi is the one I want to hear from!

speaking of UK supply sources, the most likely item I plan to upgrade is brakes to either ST’s 997 kit modified w/CGT hats or ST’s out-of-box CGT brake kit.

yeah, while I don’t tend to have issues with clearance where I typically drive (I’ve misjudged my arc/apex on a gas station driveway 2-3x before and cringed), the ONE time I might end up really needing it, I’ll wish I had it. I’ll never forget driving a US spec 991.2 3rs out of London for a track day before dawn; I think SS bound but not sure (I had taken Euro delivery of a US allocation while I lived in London which got all kinds of gawking given few obvious difference the least of which being the steering wheel on correct side!). I came up on one of those crazy narrow gate restrictors (6-6”?) that also had some piece of metal lodged in the side of it from the last guy that didn’t quite clear it! I had a couple honking cars behind me and stacking up. I ultimately used the FAL to get up/over the sidewalk lip and go AROUND the gate restrictor. I’ll admit 1) I wouldn’t be driving my GT through central London and 2) if I came upon that kind of jam, I also wouldn’t try the sidewalk stunt even if I had a FAL. If it was the GT, I’d be an ****, stop traffic, and back that thing up to safety! But still, it’s an example: you don’t need an axle lift until you REALLY need an axle lift!!
jimmyrepasi (09-18-2021)
Old 09-19-2021, 02:05 AM
schein609
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post16862131
Old 09-19-2021, 01:13 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I remember there was a thread that discussed options. I was curious if anyone had any real world experience with the Oh and KW options since either had been installed.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I know it's almost crazy to see a thread on RL that isn't debating prices or who's .1/.2/.3 is actually the greatest of all time. It's crazy to see technical threads on a technical sub-forum
The following 2 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
MirageJHU (09-20-2021), racingfan (09-27-2021)
Old 10-11-2021, 06:19 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Clubsport
Been back and forth over the years on this and am going for KW this winter with FAL and RAL.

I want adjustment mainly but also the lift will be handy. I’ve been between Ohlins and KW no doubt the TTX is the superior damper but they don’t offer FAL.

RPM Technik in the UK supply and install the KW kit and are a Manthey approved agent.
kw offers a standalone lift kit, in theory you can have fitted to ohlins, you will just need to re-spring and maybe revalve the ohlins. There are quite a few ohlins shops that will be able to do just that.
Or just ask Manthey to do the latest kw coilovers (like the ones they used on the second iteration of the gt2 rs mr) for the cgt. KW already has the drawings from the old damper, shouldn't be that much of a task..
Old 10-11-2021, 02:15 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the KW setup with the lift kit. I think it's amazing. With the lift, you can almost daily drive the CGT. Works perfectly and if properly installed, is totally reverseable.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:55 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I have kw w lift on order
Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 PM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
I have the KW setup with the lift kit. I think it's amazing. With the lift, you can almost daily drive the CGT. Works perfectly and if properly installed, is totally reverseable.
Great to know. Where are you putting the hydraulic pump unit and how is it attached to the tub? That is the bit that worries me, cables and hoses running up and down... plus I suspect the alternator in this car has never been the strongest (vs. its power draw)... another consumer has me worried somewhat...
Old 10-12-2021, 11:36 PM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure, I had the selling dealer install the lift system before it was delivered.
Old 10-13-2021, 10:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I’ll find out. Or maybe Mr Repasi (aka CGT guru) can reply directly to the thread? Either way I’ll find out.
Old 10-14-2021, 11:20 PM
jimmyrepasi
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 121 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by CRex
Great to know. Where are you putting the hydraulic pump unit and how is it attached to the tub? That is the bit that worries me, cables and hoses running up and down... plus I suspect the alternator in this car has never been the strongest (vs. its power draw)... another consumer has me worried somewhat...
Great question, if installed carefully, the only irreversible modifications are 4 small holes drilled into the passenger rear steel carrier / impact beam to mount the hydraulic unit. You can see it mounted in the picture below. In regards to electrical load, the system only draws energy during the axle lift operation, the pumps runs for aprox. 10 seconds to build pressure in the system to activate the lifting pistons.

(203)257-0987

Info@RepasiMotorwerks.com

www.RepasiMotorwerks.com
CRex (10-16-2021)

Quick Reply: CGT suspension options