Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Air blower helmet recommendation

Hey guys

What do you recommend when it comes to air blower helmet - top vs face blower and brand? Some people like face direction blower but dry up the eyes? Do you have to keep the visor lowered at all time to make the cooling effective?
Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM
ben38
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

One of my driver uses the stand 21 helmet air conditioning system.
It is expensive but very efficient
You put all the stuff in the passenger place and have a cooling duct that conntects to the top of the helmet
Helmet is also specialy design for it
So efficient that he manages to empty the battery on long waits on the grid before starts...
Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

I am going to Stand 21 store in Atlanta to buy to buy a helmet. Face blower is one item that I am still undecided about. I would love to hear everyone's input on this.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:23 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

no idea what stand 21 cooling is about and cost?
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 AM
ben38
4th Gear

Sorry it is a bell system, not stand21
Just found it but it seems quite expensive:
http://www.bellhelmets.eu/page_conte...lingsystem.php
Old 07-22-2013, 07:11 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my two cents. w've demo'd or tested, or installed in customer cars a variety of air cooling systems. fwiw, i believe that Bell unit was originally designed and built by a different company. there are a couple out there with that kind of air conditioner design.

1. i use an HJC FI10 helmet. always hav loved HJC helmets. very light , big eye port/eye opening so you can see really well and if you wanted to use a set of eye glasses, they fit in there perfect. very comfy. i like the lightest helmet possible thats very comfortable. ive used hjc fo the last 4 years. i like Bell, i just find them 3,4 oz, to 1/2 pound heavier.

2. i have the fi10 which has the top mounted air hose. i find the side mounted hoses very difficult to deal with with seats with the HANS halo setups. restricts your motion, gets caught on the seat, very stifling. the top ones work great IF you have the clearance to the roof. again, thi sis where i think HJC has it right. they put the top thing way back almost on the download of the backside of the helmet so it clears the seat but lesser chance of rubbing th eroof.
on a spec miata, i could not use the FI10 with the top mount as the fitment for me is very tight, but the Bell top mount for sure, would never work on a car where the FI10 is tight. on the cup cars, you should be fine either top mount.

3. cooling system.i just use a coolshirt tub, and the most power coolshirt blower/fan i can. those fancy expensive systems are nice but 28amps is a ton of power, that could be some horsewpower getting robbed there for sure, but for the most part, in an open window car,i just dont need that much. i think ive only used the helmet blower about 1 in 4 times in the car.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:19 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZSA Motorsport
my two cents. w've demo'd or tested, or installed in customer cars a variety of air cooling systems. fwiw, i believe that Bell unit was originally designed and built by a different company. there are a couple out there with that kind of air conditioner design.

1. i use an HJC FI10 helmet. always hav loved HJC helmets. very light , big eye port/eye opening so you can see really well and if you wanted to use a set of eye glasses, they fit in there perfect. very comfy. i like the lightest helmet possible thats very comfortable. ive used hjc fo the last 4 years. i like Bell, i just find them 3,4 oz, to 1/2 pound heavier.

2. i have the fi10 which has the top mounted air hose. i find the side mounted hoses very difficult to deal with with seats with the HANS halo setups. restricts your motion, gets caught on the seat, very stifling. the top ones work great IF you have the clearance to the roof. again, thi sis where i think HJC has it right. they put the top thing way back almost on the download of the backside of the helmet so it clears the seat but lesser chance of rubbing th eroof.
on a spec miata, i could not use the FI10 with the top mount as the fitment for me is very tight, but the Bell top mount for sure, would never work on a car where the FI10 is tight. on the cup cars, you should be fine either top mount.

3. cooling system.i just use a coolshirt tub, and the most power coolshirt blower/fan i can. those fancy expensive systems are nice but 28amps is a ton of power, that could be some horsewpower getting robbed there for sure, but for the most part, in an open window car,i just dont need that much. i think ive only used the helmet blower about 1 in 4 times in the car.
great suggestion Steve! Really appreciate the input. I like HJC helmet too and now fuuny to see more than 1/2 of the GT3 driver use HJC SI-12 helmet. I am not crazy about spending more than 9K just for a compact air con system and cool shirt tub will be fine for me. I have a very long torso so I have to be careful with top mount airhose inlet or it's gonna rub the roof. We have blazing hot heat here in California so we need max cooling - shirt and blower
Old 07-22-2013, 01:36 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

Stand 21 is a French helmet manufactucturer. Highly rated but expensive. They have store in Costa Mesa. Google stand 21 if u want more info and want to contact them. They have a pretty good website.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:29 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stilo Helmet with top air.
The side air will dry out your eyes and mouth.

My Stilo helmet with integrated radio and drink is amazing!

+1 the helmets look badass!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Koolbox SP

http://www.koolboxproducts.com/versions/koolboxsp.html
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mobonic
Stilo Helmet with top air.
The side air will dry out your eyes and mouth.

My Stilo helmet with integrated radio and drink is amazing!

+1 the helmets look badass!
Thanks for the suggestion. I was afraid the side air will dry out my eyes since I wear contact lens

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
That's a sweet looking unit and not too crazy expensive. Will try the poor man cool shirt system first and move up to the more expensive AC unit if I really like the blower helmet
Old 07-23-2013, 12:54 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

I have the side-port version. It cools my chin. Most of the sweat I get in my helmet is from the top of my head, so I think my next helmet will focus on that area. My chin is fine.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:26 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstreit
I have the side-port version. It cools my chin. Most of the sweat I get in my helmet is from the top of my head, so I think my next helmet will focus on that area. My chin is fine.
lol

a cool chin will shave 0.5 seconds a lap
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Top air is more effective than side mount, but in some cars there isn't enough room for the top air duct.

I like to run with my visor down, especially in open-window cars.. so I always use the helmet blower if it's available. We run both the coolsuit and the helmet blower in the GTC car and some additional fans that blow air at the driver.. but in my practice car I only run the helmet blower.

You can also just run the helmet blower with a simple bilge pump and NACA duct attached to the side window (that's what I do in the test car, and it's much cheaper). It doesn't have to be AC'd or cooled.. ambient air flow through a top air duct is enough to keep me cool enough for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Stilo helmets are awesome. But, the plastic top air duct they sell sucks *****. I keep 2 spares in the truck because they tend to break every weekend. There's a vendor that has made a CF vent and I'm waiting to get my hands on one...

-mike
Old 07-23-2013, 03:29 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
Top air is more effective than side mount, but in some cars there isn't enough room for the top air duct.

I like to run with my visor down, especially in open-window cars.. so I always use the helmet blower if it's available. We run both the coolsuit and the helmet blower in the GTC car and some additional fans that blow air at the driver.. but in my practice car I only run the helmet blower.

You can also just run the helmet blower with a simple bilge pump and NACA duct attached to the side window (that's what I do in the test car, and it's much cheaper). It doesn't have to be AC'd or cooled.. ambient air flow through a top air duct is enough to keep me cool enough for 30-40 minutes at a time.

Stilo helmets are awesome. But, the plastic top air duct they sell sucks *****. I keep 2 spares in the truck because they tend to break every weekend. There's a vendor that has made a CF vent and I'm waiting to get my hands on one...

-mike
I know for sure top air inlet will not work in my Z06 - roof is too low but should be fine in my civic and Cup. General consensus is that top air inlet is more effective than side. Good to know that ambient air is good enough for cooling.

Nice run there at mosport Mike. Those P1 and P2 cars got you all bunched up couple times during the race

Quick Reply: Air blower helmet recommendation