Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

GTC3 rule change--please comment

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There is absolutely a cheaper alternative to PMNA on these types of things. It's ludicrous how much some of these specific parts cost.... I don't know who makes it but I guarantee someone can do it for less than $5,500 (and I remember when PMNA was selling them for $8k...). That said, the thread is deviating a bit from your proposed rule change ("any Porsche supplied..."). I have zero problem with GMG or someone else coming up with an alternative. However, in "stock spec" classes like GTC, I think the less deviation the better. Offer two alternatives or something like that but when you start messing with exhaust AND headers there will be people that are doing it for performance gains and the cars will start to be different. In spec classes, different isn't good.

By the way, rule changes like this, where the GTC3 cars are now primarily run in Club racing, will get PMNA's attention.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
That said, the thread is deviating a bit from your proposed rule change ("any Porsche supplied..."). I have zero problem with GMG or someone else coming up with an alternative. However, in "stock spec" classes like GTC, I think the less deviation the better.
The proposed rule change is one I instigated, but not one I got to write. My personal view is the same as yours and as been discussed in this thread: functionally equivalent, no performance changing non-Porsche mufflers should be allowed that exhaust in the factory location, but no change to the headers or other exhaust elements should be allowed.

The PCA staff came up with the idea of using some other Porsche supplied item which, as far as I know, does not exist.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:35 PM
smsarchitects
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"The 996 Cup is going on 13 years old now. Finding parts like mufflers that are often destroyed in minor incidents is getting tough, and expensive. Think about it, $5,500 is 9% of the value of an older cup. To pay that for a muffler is silly. The rule should change to anything that connects to the stock, un-modified headers and exits in the factory location should be acceptable."

+1 comment sent to rules committee, thank you for bringing this up. It is only a matter of time before we have to replace it..............
Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 AM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts

"functionally equivalent, no performance changing non-Porsche mufflers should be allowed that exhaust in the factory location, but no change to the headers or other exhaust elements should be allowed."

I agree with this clarification. Parity is important in a spec class. Look at spec boxster; I have a friend with $50k in his.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Bump to remind you guys to send in your comments
Old 09-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Another bump to let you guys know that you need to resend your comments to PCA
Due to a computer glitch previous comments were deleted
Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks, Dan. Must be the new computer system Michelin/Jackson money bought. :-)
Old 09-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

The 964 Cups racers were allowed to replace the super rare, and fragile Speedline wheels for aftermarket wheels to save money. 944Turbo racers for safety could install billet aluminum fron A arms for cost savings.

993 Cup cars that race and therefore run stock OEM catalytic converters will burn these out and cores will fail will require replacement with used street 993 cats.

As any and all of these CUP cars get older and used up..........exhaust should be free in some respect as heat cycles and off track excursions will require replacements. Porsche AG eventually will not want to support earley watercooled race cars just like they abandoned aircooled 964/993 race cars.

If anyone in the tri-state area wants me to design a 996 GT3 race muffler or 997 GT3 rear race muffler I am more than equiped to do it. Fabspeed Motorsport USA finally completed the move into a new facility and we now have 38,000 sqft devoted to design, engineering, fabrication, and manufacturing.

We have the worlds most advance defense contractor quality all electric CNC mandrel bender and we are the only company in North America that can bend 1D on stainless steel tubing.

Cruise by and see the facility you are all invited. 1/2 mile from the Fort Washington exit of the Pennsylvannia turnpike. Details of Fabspeed capabilities on my website.

mandrel bender is www.unisonltd.com
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist

Quick Reply: GTC3 rule change--please comment