Sponsored by:

996 Exhaust and Rear Wheel Center needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Exhaust and Rear Wheel Center needed

Is anyone ever going to make an aftermarket exhaust that's acceptable to PCA Racing for a 996 Cup? It's a recurring theme here as these parts get scarcer and more expensive. I have the complete right side but need the left side header 996.11.101.93 and cat 996.113.021.95.

Also I need an earlier 10.5" rear wheel center #9041 to complete a set. I have a #9052 later 11" center if anyone needs one or wants to swap. Thanks!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a center muffler if you need one, 50% of PMNA price plus shipping.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:14 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but the headers are stock 3.6 996/gt3 from what I'm finding...cheap on eBay.

The exhaust is also a stock street cat section with a turndown on the end. Again somebody correct me if they have better info but unless the cats are different? But the cells look the same inside....
Old 05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Dan Jacobs
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Manifolds are shrter then a street car but can be cut/welded. The cat is not a street part
Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Rules change

If you want to see a rules change, e-mail walterfricke@msn.com before 1 June! Posting here does no good.

Here is what I wrote to him on this topic last year (and which I reminded him of last April):

I have a GTC3 car which has previously had some contact between its muffler and what seems to be several different hard objects. Function is not affected now, but I can foresee needing a new muffler at some point. As I know you are aware, the PCA Club Racing Rules state: "Parts substitution on GTC cars will be allowed when original parts are no longer available, subject to case by case approval by the Technical & Rules Chair. The racer making the request must provide documentation of the search for the correct part and the specifications of the proposed substitute. Approved substitutions will be added to the rules in the following year." A local shop checked the cost of a replacement muffler from Porsche for me and found it to be $5,500. Although the part appears to be available, it's amazingly expensive, even for Porsche, making it mostly available in name. The thought occurred to me to see if a business such as Fabspeed, which is near me, could fabricate a replacement part that would cost a lot less but be functionally equivalent. Is this the sort of thing the rules could allow for next year? I am new to PCA club racing and thought it worth asking.

Here is what Walt wrote last year:

What I would like you to do is submit a proposed rules change with respect to this GTC3 item (muffler) on April 1 (or at least before June 1), 2012. That way it will be up for preliminary consideration as a rules change, and most likely end up as a change for comment about this time next year. Unfortunately, this process is closed for this year for the 2012 rules, and the proposals for comment will come out as soon as the Club Race news is published.

As to my newly (2011) granted authority here under V., I have to take the position that NLA means NLA. I am sympathetic to cost issues, but won't bend any rules for that reason. So I am glad that your muffler still functions OK - and suggest that, should somehow it start to fail that you get someone to repair it until we can see what the owners of these fine cars collectively think.

You will have noted that the GTC4 cars (and the GTC1 cars), various modifications to the exhaust can be made. I know why the GTC1 changes were made (or at least don't need to know more), and I will inquire as to the rationale for the GTC4 change to see whether that might be applicable to GTC3. There will be a proposal for comment for GTC2 to allow them to replace the catalytic converter, because it too, while available, is hideously expensive. The same rationale would apply to GTC3. The premise of the GTC classes included keeping costs down (relatively - these are expensive cars no matter how you slice it because of their true race car performance and limited hour engines and so on) by disallowing fiddling with parts to gain a performance advantage. As the cars age, it appears that owners have concluded that more and more substitutions should be allowed because of OEM parts costs, and because the substitutions don't improve performance (keeping the playing field level), or don't cost much (such as replacing cats with cat bypass pipes) so everyone can make the modification without being part of a financial performance cost escalation.

But put down April 1, 2012, on your calendar. I amy or may not remember this come 2012, someone else may be doing this job, etc. etc.

But thanks for pointing this out.

Walt Fricke
Technical and Rules Chair
PCA Club Racing.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Jim Sullivan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just emailed Walt. Thanks for the heads-up on that.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Just looked into it checked PET and the parts I have, for the early 99/01 car the manifolds are the same (same part number and visually identical) for street GT3 and cup car, as dan mentioned the 996 is different part no. The exhausts/cats are visually and dimensionally the same, the only exception is the attachment of the cup bypass/turnouts at the tip. The only thing I would say is perhaps the cell is different...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Support a rules change....

Thread on this topic and the 2013 rules proposal: HERE.

Quick Reply: 996 Exhaust and Rear Wheel Center needed