Notices

where to recharge fire extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:28 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Angry where to recharge fire extinguisher?

Yes, it happened to me. Someone tripped my fire extinguisher despite me saying DO NOT press the red button then he did it anyway - freaking **** me off! Now I got a mess in the cabin and all mop up and I spray down the engine bay with water. Do I need to do anything else other than cleaning up the seat, interior and engine bay once it's spray by the fire retardant?

Where do I recharge the fire extinguisher and how do I disconnect the tank? Any input is greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old 08-01-2011, 09:42 AM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 72 Posts

Unscrew the connector and then unplug the wire. Press the hose in toward the bottle along with the locking collar. Hold the collar in and pull the hose out. Should come out relatively easy so don't force it. If it still feels locked retry pressing in the collar.

Ron at http://www.discoveryparts.com/?gclid...FRMS2god82gUYA can refill the bottles.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

We service the SPA AFFF fire systems at OG Racing. Since you are in California, it would be 5 days shipping each way via UPS Ground. If you want to find someone closer, call SPA in Indianapolis and they should be able to tell you if they have a dealer on the west coast who is set up to service the bottles. Their number is 317 271 7941.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Yes, it happened to me. Someone tripped my fire extinguisher despite me saying DO NOT press the red button.....
Jeez, who the heck would pull that stunt?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:40 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coryf
Unscrew the connector and then unplug the wire. Press the hose in toward the bottle along with the locking collar. Hold the collar in and pull the hose out. Should come out relatively easy so don't force it. If it still feels locked retry pressing in the collar.

Ron at http://www.discoveryparts.com/?gclid...FRMS2god82gUYA can refill the bottles.
Great! Thanks forthe tip and I will get the tank off.

Originally Posted by Carrera51
We service the SPA AFFF fire systems at OG Racing. Since you are in California, it would be 5 days shipping each way via UPS Ground. If you want to find someone closer, call SPA in Indianapolis and they should be able to tell you if they have a dealer on the west coast who is set up to service the bottles. Their number is 317 271 7941.
Man, I need to find a place closer to California. Will airgas do it? Got a track event in 2 weeks. How much does it cost to fill up the tank?

Originally Posted by Nizer
Jeez, who the heck would pull that stunt?
It was her ... I wish. If it was her then she deserve some spanking. It happend at my body's shop's BBQ yesterday: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...make-over.html

Lesseon learned. Will seal off the button if car is display in the public
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

The fail safe way to prevent this in the future is to unscrew the wire from the power supply box (the small rectangular box with the toggle switch that is marked "active, inactive, and test). That way there is no possibility that the switch could be turned to active, then the button pushed. Put a sticky note on the steering wheel to as a reminder to reconnect before going on track. I do this because I have kids in the house.

Definitely call SPA since they can tell you if they have a west coast dealer that services the systems.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
The fail safe way to prevent this in the future is to unscrew the wire from the power supply box (the small rectangular box with the toggle switch that is marked "active, inactive, and test). That way there is no possibility that the switch could be turned to active, then the button pushed. Put a sticky note on the steering wheel to as a reminder to reconnect before going on track. I do this because I have kids in the house.

Definitely call SPA since they can tell you if they have a west coast dealer that services the systems.
Great suggestion. Will call SPA today

Cheers
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just called SPA and they receomeeded BRITS at Sonoma. $300 to charge and reset ... I want to beat the guy that press the button!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
fleadh
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Just called SPA and they receomeeded BRITS at Sonoma. $300 to charge and reset ... I want to beat the guy that press the button!
That's who I used to recharge mine when I bought the car.

Does your fire system have the arm/disarm switch inside? You should leave it disarmed until you go out on track.... :-)

-mike
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fleadh
That's who I used to recharge mine when I bought the car.

Does your fire system have the arm/disarm switch inside? You should leave it disarmed until you go out on track.... :-)

-mike
Yeah, it has the same switch inside. I should have left it off but I thought to myself what if it caught on fire for some reason ... did not want to jump inside to turn it on. I will put some sort of safety pin outside.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Good to know my spa expires Jan 2012. Man the guy who did it should pay!!! Mike
Old 08-01-2011, 11:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, it has the same switch inside. I should have left it off but I thought to myself what if it caught on fire for some reason ... did not want to jump inside to turn it on. I will put some sort of safety pin outside.
7-cup caught fire in the engine bay this weekend at Cal Speedway. Driver didn't know until he lost power then stopped in the hot pits and realized he was on fire. Hit the red button but he'd forgotten to arm the system and had to lean back in and switch it on then set it off. Damage limited to perhiphals, appears fuel line came off filter and dropped down on left muffler. He was lucky this time....

PS: Werks 2 in Burbank services your fire bottle....
Old 08-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

+2 on BRITS

Quick Reply: where to recharge fire extinguisher?