Portable impact wrench options

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Portable impact wrench options

Change tires can be a PITA with my CL wheel. I am looking for an impact wrench that can quickly take the center lock on and off much like what race team use. The center lock spec on my Cup is about 340 ft lbs. I found some portable impact wrench made by Milwaukee and they offer torque from 325 ft lbs to 450 ft lbs. Any suggestions?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a nitrogen tank? Use one of these: http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/impact_guns.html

Last edited by IPguy; 07-14-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPguy
You have a nitrogen tank? Use on of these: http://www.brunnhoelzl.com/impact_guns.html
Nope. That's my next question ... where to get a nitrogen tank and why can't we use plain old atmosphere air? Corrosion issue?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:50 PM
IPguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welding supply house and probably other industrial supply places as well. I think the nitrogen tank pressures are a few thousand psi, which is why you need a decent regulator to give you easy access to much higher pressure than the air tank will usually provide. Do you have the wand for the air jacks on your car? What is the pressure supply requirement to get the car off the ground?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPguy
Welding supply house and probably other industrial supply places as well. I think the nitrogen tank pressures are a few thousand psi, which is why you need a decent regulator to give you easy access to much higher pressure than the air tank will usually provide. Do you have the wand for the air jacks on your car? What is the pressure supply requirement to get the car off the ground?
Thanks for the info. I have everything except the tank. Will ask my race shop on where to get a tank. Back to my question ... is there an impact wrench I can use to take center bolt on and off without need to use a torque wrench? Race team just impact the center bolt on and off they go ....
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you're going to be very hard pressed to find a battery powered impact that has that much true torque. My previous monster could do about 1-2 400 ft lb removals and then it would be worthless. You really need air for that.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:01 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstreit
I think you're going to be very hard pressed to find a battery powered impact that has that much true torque. My previous monster could do about 1-2 400 ft lb removals and then it would be worthless. You really need air for that.
Man ... air tank it is. Just hope they are not monster huge
Old 07-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

They are if you want to both lift the car and change the wheels.
I don't think the half bottle will last an entire weekend doing double duty.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:58 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Man ... air tank it is. Just hope they are not monster huge
not too big, i had two in my trailer
Old 07-15-2011, 09:52 AM
cstreit
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always break them free and set final torque with a big wench and use an electric go get them off and on "most of the way".

Guys with air... You really using THAT much? Sheesh, how many trips to the airgas salesman are you making a year?!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:27 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
not too big, i had two in my trailer
Will visit airgas today to size up the tank. Still thinking about getting a portable impact wrench ...
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're thinking of only using 1 tank then definitely get the large 300 cu.ft. tank. Yes it's a heavy mother, but I can lift it in-n-out of my trailer or run it in with a dolly and I'm only 155 lbs. and 62 years old....

PS: A POC friend plumbed a single tank to operate 2 regs simultaneously, one for HP, one for low. He keeps it permanetly on a dolly strapped into his trailer and wheels it out at the track. Me I prefer the 2 tanks as they last longer (duh!) and I really hate loading and unloading the heavy bastards. I even keep a smaller (200?) tank and reg. in my garage at home....
Old 07-16-2011, 03:25 AM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
If you're thinking of only using 1 tank then definitely get the large 300 cu.ft. tank. Yes it's a heavy mother, but I can lift it in-n-out of my trailer or run it in with a dolly and I'm only 155 lbs. and 62 years old....

PS: A POC friend plumbed a single tank to operate 2 regs simultaneously, one for HP, one for low. He keeps it permanetly on a dolly strapped into his trailer and wheels it out at the track. Me I prefer the 2 tanks as they last longer (duh!) and I really hate loading and unloading the heavy bastards. I even keep a smaller (200?) tank and reg. in my garage at home....
I am 165 lbs and ... feel like 85 years old most of the time lol. Thanks for the great advice JR. I went to airgas today and their largest 5' tall nitro tank run $300 to purchase then $30 to exchange the tank. I have an open trailer so I have to figure some ways to lay tank flat for transport and dolly around while on track. I can charge 50 cents for balloons ... wait, that's helium
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
I am 165 lbs and ... feel like 85 years old most of the time lol. Thanks for the great advice JR. I went to airgas today and their largest 5' tall nitro tank run $300 to purchase then $30 to exchange the tank. I have an open trailer so I have to figure some ways to lay tank flat for transport and dolly around while on track. I can charge 50 cents for balloons ... wait, that's helium
The open trailer certainly presents some logistical challenges.
I think it might be easier to just leave in the back of your truck at an event. Unfortunately you need 350+ lbs. of pressure to lift the car so you're sort of stuck with a N-tank....

Important safety note: Never, ever transport a nitrogen tank without first removing the regulator and screwing the heavy steel cap back on. First off it's illegal, more importantly it's dangerous. 2,000 lbs of pressure can make a deadly projectile out of that tank.....
Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM
mikymu
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The open trailer certainly presents some logistical challenges.
I think it might be easier to just leave in the back of your truck at an event. Unfortunately you need 350+ lbs. of pressure to lift the car so you're sort of stuck with a N-tank....

Important safety note: Never, ever transport a nitrogen tank without first removing the regulator and screwing the heavy steel cap back on. First off it's illegal, more importantly it's dangerous. 2,000 lbs of pressure can make a deadly projectile out of that tank.....
Yikes ... will take your advice and install the metal cap for transport

Quick Reply: Portable impact wrench options