Notices
Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Race Cars For You

2010 GT3 Cup undergoing prep for World Challenge - Stoptech Racing brakes and more!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:06 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts
Default 2010 GT3 Cup undergoing prep for World Challenge - Stoptech Racing brakes and more!

Gents

Here are a few shots of the 2010 Cup undergoing prep for World Challenge.

Just installed the Stoptech ST60 racing brake kit- this is the same kit that helped Porsche and GMG clinche the manufactures championship in Speed GT.

These are the same brakes available to you for your Cup or street GT3 and RS.

sales@gmgracing.com
www.gmgracing.com

facebook l instagram l youtube l twitter

Porsche | Audi | Ferrari | Lamborghini | McLaren
Performance Tuning | Motorsport | Factory Service

Pirelli World Challege Race Team GT/GTA/GTS/TC
Pirelli GT3 Cup Trophy USA
Porsche Motorsport — Audi Sport Customer Racing — Lamborghini Super Trofeo Series
Old 01-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fabryce,
could you tell me what the approx. cost would be for the stoptech 380mm/355mm setup, is there a cost savings/performance benefit compared to the grand am brembo's?
Old 01-23-2010, 02:47 AM
gmgracing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 450 Likes on 268 Posts

Bernie

We are running a special on the brake kits in celebration of the 2010 season.. Please email me directly and I will gladly quote you a price. (The moderators get upset when vendors post pricing so I dont want to upset anyone)

I will have James chime in on his experiance with the Stoptech kit as he ran them last year and was instrumental in the development of the brake package with Stoptech.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:41 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

How are the brakes different / better than the factory brakes. It doesn't look like the caliper is bridge bolted for rigidigy.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's happening with the '08 ex-3R/Galati car in the background?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

Regarding the Stoptech brakes, well let's just say that proof is in the pudding.
I haved race on AP, Alcon, Brembo and then Stoptech...all on WC Cup cars and in my opinion, no other brake setup gave me the feel and confidence that the Stoptech brakes gave me once I put them on my car mid 2008 WC season.
The results speak for themselves......2 poles and 3 wins in the next 13 races.

Steve Ruiz, the Stoptech Engineer, is a master as setting these brakes up and was instrumental in perfecting the balance of the brakes. Although we do sell a lot of Brembo product as well, I just can't say enough about Stoptech. They may be a smaller company but they can adapt quickly and are backed by a massive corporation in Centric. Since putting them on our WC Cup car I have installed them on multiple GMG race cars and have had tremendous success.

Bernie, I know we spoke on Friday.......I should have the Cup S fenders and bumpers within the next 2 weeks and if you need that last minute driver for your car........let me know.

Mike, we will be making a Press Release soon about the Ex-Galati car......you will be seeing more of it in the near future!
When are you bringing your car to a WC race? The 2007 3.6 package should be competitive this year!

James F. Sofronas | President & Owner
Global Motorsports Group ™
E: james@gmgracing.com
P: +1 (714) 432-1582
F: +1 (714) 432-1590
A: 3210 South Shannon Street, Santa Ana, California 92704
W: gmgracing.com
Old 01-23-2010, 11:03 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

When I get a sponsor...

The 3.6 WC motor may not be long for my car. I have an idea in my head that I cannot shake...
Old 01-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Need an RSR motor...?
Old 01-24-2010, 09:47 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

How'd you guess?

Please tell me more.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

MKlaskin,

You are better off upgrading your WC 3.6 to a WC 3.8 spec. I am doing this to your sister car (2007 Pobst WC GT Champion car) that I sold to a client in Hong Kong as he is shipping his car back to me for motor, gearbox, shock and brake upgrades.
The WC 3.8 motor is 90% of an RSR motor (less in the intake manifold) and has amazing torque!

Let me know if you want some help with this.

Thanks,
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

James,

My understanding is that the 3.8 WC configuration is very close to being an RSR engine, but with a shorter lifespan. Ideally, I'd like the torque of a 3.8 with a life around 50 hours. With the short-skirt pistons, can I get that?

And you have to admit, the carbin airbox on the RSR's is neat to look at...

Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well PMNA will tell you the WC spec 3.8 motor should be good for 30 hours if running flat out in a series like WC but if you are club racing it, I have seen them go 40 hours.
The RSR motor is certainly recommended to freshened at less than 30 hours, especially if you are running in ALMS. For Club racing, I am sure it will last longer but that also depends on the shop/team maintaining the car.

PMNA is also working on a longer lasting 3.8 motor program.......still tbd.

If budget not an issue.......sure, go with the RSR motor but you won't gain that much power over an unrestricted WC motor......but bang for your buck, buy a 3.8 WC car for $.50-.60 on the dollar (well over $400K invested into mine) and you can run down most anything on the track, less a Pro driven RSR and the rebuilds are a lot less than an RSR motor!
Old 01-24-2010, 06:49 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Interesting. I'm not quite ready for the rebuild so I'll have to check with PMNA when the time comes. I've also considered the 2010 3.8 Cup motor, which if it's a true 450 bhp, may be an option. Would a new rear lid be required for 2010 Cup motor?

In the meantime, I'll investigate the longer life 3.8. Good to know there are some options.

Please keep us posted on the blue and orange car. I had considerd that car last year but at $235,000 it was waaaay out of my budget. It was while researching that car that I stumbled upon mine. Jim made me a very good deal for mine, when you consider the spares package.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:04 PM
James-GMG
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We have dyno'd both an unrestricted WC 3.8 and the new 2010 3.8 Cup car and there is no comparison........the WC version is so much stronger! But the 2010 3.8 should go 50-60 hours depending on how it's raced.

The blue/orange car was for sale by my client but he ended up keeping it and will race it this year.

I might sell my WC car at some point this year (most likely after the WC season) and wouldn't want to sell it for less than $200K........as you know, it would take so much to get to this level of performance if you started with a base Cup car.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:14 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 45 Posts

I have been researching a lot of these different engine options...(for a car we just bought from James...)

According to PMNA an R/RSR motor is good for about 50 hrs in a club environment. The 2 ring pistons are not appropriate for anything but an all out money is no object maintenance schedule. The main longevity issue with all of these kinds of motors is the solid lifter valve train which requires maintenance, but of course that's how you make the big power....

The valve adjustment is very time consuming and requires removal of the cams and a lot of disassembly. This needs to be done sometime between 30-50 hrs depending on who you talk to. If you are already doing this it makes sense to freshen up the motor because you already have the valvetrain mostly torn down.

Quick Reply: 2010 GT3 Cup undergoing prep for World Challenge - Stoptech Racing brakes and more!