Porsche Cup Cars
Sponsored by:

Cup car sequeantial gear down shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

throttle contol looks awesome, would be nice if they came with the car but then Porsche would lose money on tranny rebuild parts.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:03 PM
xeviuus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's too funny mike. i totally agree with you how porsche motosports does business. if you are stock holder it's brilliant but if you are receiving end it's painful. don't get me started with saga i had to go through with porsche motorsports to get my motec upgraded and running. lol
Old 11-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Since Xeviuu's question was answered, why is it that you need to use the clutch on downshifts when it isn't required on upshifts? When compared to other sequential (Ferrari comes to mind) boxes it isn't required nor possible to use a clutch.

Is there any benefit from the Porsche box?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob in VA
Since Xeviuu's question was answered, why is it that you need to use the clutch on downshifts when it isn't required on upshifts? When compared to other sequential (Ferrari comes to mind) boxes it isn't required nor possible to use a clutch.

Engine RPM drops on the upshifts but you have to rev match on the downshift to get the engine RPM to the desired range so there is less wear on the synchros. WIth the gearbox you can downshift without the clutch but there is increased synchro wear and it is a lot rougher on the driveline when the clutch is not used.

The advantage of the gearbox is with the no lift shifts every shift is about .01 quicker. At VIR where you upshift about 12-15 times throughout the track that is .15 quicker just from shifting. Also the driveline loss on this transmission is less. So more power to teh ground.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Great video!!

...and great foot work...but makes wonder why no left foot breaking?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Apex GT
Rennlist Member

I also noticed in the video he left his hand on the shifter for the long straight up shifts. I thought there was a pressure sensor on the shifter and this was a no no?
Does the Manthey throttle control do the blip for you or does it make sure it is an adequate amount of throttle?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

There is a pressure sensor (strain guage) on the shifter, so best not to lean forward on it unless you are going to downshift.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:06 AM
sergini
Instructor

Guys , I have the trottle control on my Cup car , it's great because you can use your mind only to braking ...and locking ..BUT .....it's so easy to do some gear mistakes : you MUST sincronyze the clutch and the gear level movement ...if not it's easier to do some damages on clutch and gears ..
Old 11-19-2009, 07:41 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob in VA

If you didn't have to heel toe on the downshift then someone might refer to it as a "Porsche-omatic" and we can't have that.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:12 AM
dm930
6th Gear

Originally Posted by xeviuus
that's too funny mike. i totally agree with you how porsche motosports does business. if you are stock holder it's brilliant but if you are receiving end it's painful. don't get me started with saga i had to go through with porsche motorsports to get my motec upgraded and running. lol
I don't think you have quite enough cars in your sig file... You left out the Veyron...
Old 11-20-2009, 12:54 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveM993
If you didn't have to heel toe on the downshift then someone might refer to it as a "Porsche-omatic" and we can't have that.
Good call Dave. I knew there had to a be a valid reason.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 PM
prg
Pro

Does anybody down shift the 997 cup without the clutch? I assume this is a dogbox type sequential. The Hewland sequential in my pro-mazda is pretty easy to down shift without the clutch once you get the timing of the lever and the blip down. If I have to go down more than a single gear, I use the clutch. Single down change corners are smoother clutchless in my car. I don't see anyone talking about this technique with the cups. Just curious.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:56 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by prg
Does anybody down shift the 997 cup without the clutch? I assume this is a dogbox type sequential. The Hewland sequential in my pro-mazda is pretty easy to down shift without the clutch once you get the timing of the lever and the blip down. If I have to go down more than a single gear, I use the clutch. Single down change corners are smoother clutchless in my car. I don't see anyone talking about this technique with the cups. Just curious.
I have the same question, not sure why the clutch is needed.

I was checking out the video and while loving the data overlay and foot work cam, I noticed it was taken from Sugo -- we've tested there and its a NARROW track!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeoFEK1yzk
Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,
the strain gauge sensor is only active above 2800RPM and benefits upshift. There is a fully active clutchless paddle shift system avail. for these cars, clutchless up and down shifts, which tremendously reduces wear, but is illegal in most classes.
Bernie
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM
xeviuus
Track Day

finally got the manthey throttle control unit. i'll keep you guys posted how that goes...

Quick Reply: Cup car sequeantial gear down shifting