Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We built our own throttel kicker, i work PERFECT.. so glad i built this
Old 10-07-2010, 11:54 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Spencer at Speed Sport Tuning is putting one in my Ex-Grand am 997 cup, the Manthey unit. Should be a good investment.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by analogmike
Spencer at Speed Sport Tuning is putting one in my Ex-Grand am 997 cup, the Manthey unit. Should be a good investment.
i had a manthey, i think spencer put one of them in the guys car who bot my 2006 cup.

here is how id' phrase it. it helps. it helps if you have trouble blipping and finding the right qty of throttle for the blip, which most of the time is an overblip for me.
when i went to my 2010 cup, all that went away. im sure someone far more technical than me could explain why there is such a difference in the transmissions but , to me, the 2010 was gravy smooth. and my 2009 is/was really good gravy with a few chunks in it.

the manthey is a nice piece. when you see it, you wont believe they actually charge $2500 for it. its basically like a drum kicker on a bass drum.

the think i didnt like is that it blips when you put the shifter forward.
so, for me, as i pull into the pits, i put the clutch in and dont shift till the car is really quite slowed down (unless a hot pit) so there arent slow speed shifts.
as i come to halt, i pop it forward a few times to go from 4th for example, down to neutral. all those pushing forwards will be REVS of exactly the same amount. the manthey doesnt modify the qty of blip based on previous gear, speed, etc. just just an even 25% throttle which if you're slowing in pit lane can scare the nuts off your crew or others.

plus you go to put it in reverse sitting in the pits, you're going to get a 25% BLIIPPP!

the real issue, in my opinion is not the difficulty in blipping. its the braking system on the stock factory cup cars. no other way to say it. yeah, they can stop well, at times, and im not a huge abs fan, but the lack of abs, the stiff pedal, wicked small travel, just makes breaking in my Cup very tenuous to begin with. combine it with a twitchy throttle and the requirement to blip quick and right, there is more going on than necessary.

i will agian say the 2010 transmission was night and day from my 2006. no way i needed any help with that 2010. gravy.

just my two cents.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

So what transmission changes did Porsche make in the later cups??
Old 10-07-2010, 02:36 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
the real issue, in my opinion is not the difficulty in blipping. its the braking system on the stock factory cup cars. no other way to say it. yeah, they can stop well, at times, and im not a huge abs fan, but the lack of abs, the stiff pedal, wicked small travel, just makes breaking in my Cup very tenuous to begin with. combine it with a twitchy throttle and the requirement to blip quick and right, there is more going on than necessary.
Very true! My data shows that when I blip, my braking force goes down every blip. It's VERY hard to brake consistently with one side of your foot while using the other (heel for me) for blipping.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought his Manthey unit. With the exception of 2010 Cup knowledge, I agree 100%.
Originally Posted by spg993tt
i had a manthey, i think spencer put one of them in the guys car who bot my 2006 cup.

here is how id' phrase it. it helps. it helps if you have trouble blipping and finding the right qty of throttle for the blip, which most of the time is an overblip for me.
when i went to my 2010 cup, all that went away. im sure someone far more technical than me could explain why there is such a difference in the transmissions but , to me, the 2010 was gravy smooth. and my 2009 is/was really good gravy with a few chunks in it.

the manthey is a nice piece. when you see it, you wont believe they actually charge $2500 for it. its basically like a drum kicker on a bass drum.

the think i didnt like is that it blips when you put the shifter forward.
so, for me, as i pull into the pits, i put the clutch in and dont shift till the car is really quite slowed down (unless a hot pit) so there arent slow speed shifts.
as i come to halt, i pop it forward a few times to go from 4th for example, down to neutral. all those pushing forwards will be REVS of exactly the same amount. the manthey doesnt modify the qty of blip based on previous gear, speed, etc. just just an even 25% throttle which if you're slowing in pit lane can scare the nuts off your crew or others.

plus you go to put it in reverse sitting in the pits, you're going to get a 25% BLIIPPP!

i will agian say the 2010 transmission was night and day from my 2006. no way i needed any help with that 2010. gravy.

just my two cents.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:07 PM
JR944
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default blipper photos and experience

I have a friend and coaching client who just bought an '06 Cup and can't heel and toe due to a knee issue. I had the opportunity to drive the car before and after installation. While I consider myself a pretty skilled "blipper", this device definitely makes the downshifts much easier to accomplish consistently smoothly.

Down sides, as mentioned are blips when going into neutral or reverse. Also, since the blip is consistent every time (we set to 30% throttle), if you engage the clutch at too high a road speed, the rev match isn't great. The owner experienced that at the end of a long straight going from 5th to 4th to 3rd. We overcame that by just waiting longer before selecting 4th, then going quickly to 3rd. (rather than doing them in a consistent rythm. I hope that makes sense)

We had to remove radio that was previously mounted at center console.

First photo taken from passenger side showing attachment to shift lever
Second photo shows rod running from shift lever below center console
third photo shows pivot and wheel that presses on pedal extension

Joe
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Cup car sequeantial gear down shifting