Notices

Michelin Blues vs. Yellows

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:05 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I've now tried 3 sets of the Hoosier Cup tire and my buddy who is racing IMSA this year also tried a set this past weekend. We did Michelin and then the Hoosiers back to back in 2 races. The Hoosier is within a couple of tenths of the Michelin blues for the first 6-7 laps. After that, there is a noticable fall off with the Hoosiers, like a full second.... I REALLY wanted the Hoosier to work because they're about $500 cheaper per set. Every fourth set would be like getting a free set compared to the cost of the Michelins.

Second, Pat, I'm interested in 6 sets of the Greens. Are they a lot more $ than the blues? Picking up at the Glen would work for me.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:48 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Peter, did you check the tire temp on the Hoosier after you ran them? I noticed a similar fall off on the Hoosier when I tested them, but it was because I let the pressure get too high and the tire temp went well over 220F.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by PatK-Mpls
How many sets would you be good for, Luis?

I think that if we can get an order for ~50 sets we can import them economically via container. I have already discussed this with a team that would be willing to assist.
Im in, let me know what You need.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:45 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I ran the new 2009 Hoosier at Lime Rock again this weekend. They had 4 heat cycles including 90 minute enduro at Atlanta on them. All my sessions on these used Hoosiers, used Michelins blues with the same amount of use, and new Michelin blues were all about the same lap times. The car was set up better for the Hoosiers, I forgot to adjust the bars and the car plowed on the Michelins due to the smaller front tires. I think the car was FASTEST on Friday when it was cool on the used Michelins but I never got a really clean lap.

I ended up racing on the new Michelins and of course they held up well.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Peter, did you check the tire temp on the Hoosier after you ran them? I noticed a similar fall off on the Hoosier when I tested them, but it was because I let the pressure get too high and the tire temp went well over 220F.
I don't have the temp sheet with me but I know we were running them at about 30 lbs hot. This was suggested by Hoosier.

I will say this, there is a VERY noticable difference between the Michelins and the Hoosiers at camber above 4 degrees. We ran 4.2 on the front this weekend and I actually corded two sets of the Hoosiers on the 4th cycle on the inside of the left front tire. The Michelin's had none of this wear.... Hoosier did say that they didn't recommend going above 4 degrees. Now I know why....

On faster tracks (say Sebring) at camber around 3.8, the Hoosier holds up pretty well and I didn't see as much drop off.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

Any updates on this as far as the greens? I need to plan my tire purchases for the glen.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm out of the office till Monday (on track at Mosport tomorrow and Sat.), but DO have the number of the rep. for Michelin UK. I will call him Monday and find out the deets for a 50-set group buy of the Greens.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:57 AM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Spoke to Protyre in the UK who are the official Michelin racing distributor for the UK. They were told by Michelin France that they can't sell me tires to export to North America. He gave me a number in the US to call. Will try that today and come back.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:55 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

We're toast. No greens in NA and nobody in Europe or the UK is allowed to sell them to us here. We will get the greens next year, according to Michelin NA. On another note, he DID recommend I get a set of the "Indy" S9C tires for the rear for WGI given how hard it is on tires. Next call, JD Motorports...
Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Does anyone have a source for takeoff Michelin race tires in the US?

or any other GT3 challenge race tire takeoffs with 1-3 heat cycles?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default West Coast Dealer

anybody have a lead for a west Coast dealer?

Quick Reply: Michelin Blues vs. Yellows