Sponsored by:

GTC4 Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:57 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTC4 Question

I'm looking at an '06 997 Cup that needs an engine rebuild. Can I rebuild the engine to 2008/9 specs (with the additional 20hp) and still be eligible for GTC4 (IMSA Platinum)?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can update / backdate in the GTC4 class, so yes as long as it is in the "as delivered for the supercup series" configuration. You'll also need the updated engine mapping.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:08 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You can update / backdate in the GTC4 class, so yes as long as it is in the "as delivered for the supercup series" configuration. You'll also need the updated engine mapping.
ok...great. There is also the option of the 3.9, which I would assume would take me into GTA1? On the suspension, I believe it currently has the stock Sachs 2way (it's a Carerra Cup GB car). What's the best option for GTC4 (Motons, JRZ, Ohlins, etc.)?
Old 02-27-2009, 03:33 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

The 08-09 engine is different from the 05-07. The wiring harness is different and the ecu as well (I believe) as well as the intake manifold. It is not a simple rebuild to update an 06 motor to an 08. Now can you get 20 more HP legally? I don't know the answer to that - maybe ask PMNA.(and let me know the answer to that if you can)

Best option for shocks: Depends on preference. You can go with 4 way adjustables though. I would love a set of 4 way Ohlins or the new 4 way Sachs they use in the RSR - just too expensive for me right now. I have 2 way moton motorsports now. I may upgrade the canisters to 3 way when I have the extra cash.

One thought: If you get a good deal on an 06 go for it - in my opinion. I have an 06 and yes the 08's are surely faster in the straights and coming off a corner, but it is not a HUGE difference. At least thats what I found at Sebring.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:05 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

When you say "legally", do you mean for PCA racing? PMUK are telling me that they can rebuild the '06 to '08 specs (including an ECU remap), which would give me an extra 20hp, for GBP4.5k (=US$6.5k). Wonder if it's worth it?

Also, fyi, the car, which has a clean tub and just needs a few minor things fixed is US$115k (including a zero hours rebuilt engine and gearbox from PMUK). That sound like a good deal?!
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fryd
When you say "legally", do you mean for PCA racing? PMUK are telling me that they can rebuild the '06 to '08 specs (including an ECU remap), which would give me an extra 20hp, for GBP4.5k (=US$6.5k). Wonder if it's worth it?

Also, fyi, the car, which has a clean tub and just needs a few minor things fixed is US$115k (including a zero hours rebuilt engine and gearbox from PMUK). That sound like a good deal?!
If you update the engine I think the rules say you need to change to 08 gearing as well.

The deal sounds great unless the "few minor things" end up costing you $25k.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:52 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Yep. will cost the whole thing out first before doing anything for sure.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:47 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like a really good deal.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

I got the car. Very good price. Everything checked out by PMUK. Will rebuild the engine and ECU to '08 spec. Here's what else we're doing (feel free to add if you think I'm missing something):

gearbox (will be left at '06 spec)
wheel bearings and center bolts
dyno Sachs dampers
replace front and rear damper mounts
replace all 4 lower ball joints
replace front track rods
replace rear toe links
replace fuel pump and filter
replace gear cables
replace drive shafts
replace center radiator mounting
replace 4 brake calipers
replace windshield

See you in GTC4! Will post some pics when I get home.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the car. Very good price. Everything checked out by PMUK. Will rebuild the engine and ECU to '08 spec. Here's what else we're doing (feel free to add if you think I'm missing something):

gearbox (will be left at '06 spec)
wheel bearings and center bolts
dyno Sachs dampers
replace front and rear damper mounts
replace all 4 lower ball joints
replace front track rods
replace rear toe links
replace fuel pump and filter
replace gear cables
replace drive shafts
replace center radiator mounting
replace 4 brake calipers
replace windshield

See you in GTC4! Will post some pics when I get home.
Congrats but I'm pretty sure you mean GTA. I really don't think you can run an 08 engine with 06 gearing in GTC4. It would be the higher 08 HP engine with the lower 06 5/6 gearing. You could check with Donna but I think you need to convert everything or nothing.

See you at the track.
Jim
Old 03-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Technically to update/backdate, you need to do everything. I think you'll have more difficulty with the ECU programming than anything. We have software that downloads the ECU file and compares it against the factory official program files from the cars. If it does not match one of the files we have, it is deemed illegal regardless of who programmed it. So, by your post, it sounds like PMNA will update the engine to 98 spec and install a file into it that will work with the existing wire harness. While this may work fine and be identical in power to an 08, it likely won't pass the ECU test. I would speak with Donna or Dick and get some guidance before committing dollars.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

The ECU is being sent to Stuttgart for remapping. I'll check with Donna on the gearing though.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
fryd
Burning Brakes

Just to clarify, you are allowed to update/backdate anything within GTC4 eligible cars, and it's not necessary to do EVERYTHING, if you do ANYTHING. ie, one can update the engine and ECU, and leave the gearbox alone. Which I will do.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Boinkus44
Racer

Dave,

Congrats on the 7Cup. Looks like an awesome package, and can't wait to see it in action. When do you expect to have it home ?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:51 PM
cosmo
Instructor

Congrats

Quick Reply: GTC4 Question