Notices

964 cup exhaust flame & fire...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 11:21 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default 964 cup exhaust flame & fire...

I just had my 93 cup car replica out on the track for the first time this weekend. It ran amazingly well and with the cup exhaust it sounded phenominal...and the flash of flame on downshift looked cool to specators but, the open exhaust toasted the bumper pretty good around the outlet...so it begs the question, what are you cup car guys doing to minimize the damage?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:59 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GT3 Cups come with a muffler and integral catayltic converter which rests perpendicular to the rear bumper, just inside of it. They're wrapped with a fire proof insulation blanket which effectively protects the rear bumper.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We run stock chips and stock heat exchangers and they don't flame as a general rule. It sounds like you need a slightly longer exhaust tip.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no such known issue. As Geoffrey noted, we* run the stock 964 Cup chip, perhaps you're running something else?

*we = the group of 964 Cup guys from the east that regularly race their cars in PCA that I'm familiar with
Old 03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Charlie, Geoffry,

I think I might be running too rich on overrun, and I'm getting flash on downshifts, I had a Dansk tailpipe on the carrera cup exhaust and factory headders (no cat or sport premuffler), I think I'll just put the factory tip back on, and check the FI... I had seen where someone had fab'd a nice aluminum surround to deal with the hot exhaust but I guess its not a common problem, I still have some shakedown to do...)

(charlie, cars still in white, getting ready to go with the cup graphics, I'll follow up on the rest soon...)

thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey there,

I had an Al piece fabricated on my ex-Cup and will be doing the same for my new RSA. Unfortunately, I do not have any pix, but can put you in touch with the guy who made it. FWIW, the piece looked great---looks like a factory piece.
Mike
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J richard
Charlie, Geoffry,

I think I might be running too rich on overrun, and I'm getting flash on downshifts, I had a Dansk tailpipe on the carrera cup exhaust and factory headders (no cat or sport premuffler), I think I'll just put the factory tip back on, and check the FI... I had seen where someone had fab'd a nice aluminum surround to deal with the hot exhaust but I guess its not a common problem, I still have some shakedown to do...)

(charlie, cars still in white, getting ready to go with the cup graphics, I'll follow up on the rest soon...)

thanks
Hey, good to know! I liked the French Carrera Cup theme, if you want to go with that instead of what we sent you...

Mike, I was over at Dan's the other day and was studying that tail piece. It is very nice.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:35 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Charlie,

Hope all is well. The piece is nice---I will have another one made up for me soon. Let me know if you want one as well.
Mike

ps I still miss the old girl. Even with a pretty good selection of P-cars, my garage will never look the same......
Old 03-11-2008, 10:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
Hey Charlie,

Hope all is well. The piece is nice---I will have another one made up for me soon. Let me know if you want one as well.
Mike

ps I still miss the old girl. Even with a pretty good selection of P-cars, my garage will never look the same......
Cayenne Turbo, nice! Is that a new acquisition?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Cayenne Turbo, nice! Is that a new acquisition?
Yeah, I took some of the Cup $$$ proceeds and bought a CPO Cayenne Turbo with 15k miles---I got a smoking deal from my good friend at Hennessy. Then I just bought a '93 LSD-only fully track prepped RSA (30k miles) with the rest of the $$$.

The CT is simply amazing and does everything I need it to---almost makes the Turbo 3.6 expendable. Nah, not really. I'm just going to put a lift in the garage to accomodate my 4 cars.
Mike
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by K964
The CT is simply amazing and does everything I need it to---almost makes the Turbo 3.6 expendable. Nah, not really. I'm just going to put a lift in the garage to accomodate my 4 cars.
Mike
Nice! I'd like to have a Cayenne some day...

Quick Reply: 964 cup exhaust flame & fire...