Sponsored by:

New to cup car world

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New to cup car world

I'm considering getting into a 997.1 cup car, most likely just for DEs, maybe club racing. Did years with a PCA J-class 996 GT3, and now that I need a new car, I have this ridiculous notion that I should get a cup car. Aside from the obvious differences in driving a cup, what should one expect in terms of care and feeding for these cars. I'm only looking at cars that are well maintained and without high hours on the drivetrain. Any insights appreciated.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:15 PM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
I'm considering getting into a 997.1 cup car, most likely just for DEs, maybe club racing. Did years with a PCA J-class 996 GT3, and now that I need a new car, I have this ridiculous notion that I should get a cup car. Aside from the obvious differences in driving a cup, what should one expect in terms of care and feeding for these cars. I'm only looking at cars that are well maintained and without high hours on the drivetrain. Any insights appreciated.
I’ve just purchased a 996 cup coming from a modified 996 GT3 road car. The biggest difference is the tires. 3K for a set of Pirelli and they cycle out very quickly compared to an R compound. 996:996 is quite similar otherwise. The gearbox in the 997 is a bit more upkeep than the 996 but both can be as expensive as one another if something goes wrong. I wanted factory ABS and a h pattern so I opted for 996. Very pleased with my decision although the burning of money has only just begun so that may change with time haha.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:46 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 109 Posts

This is a long list. They are awesome to drive but expensive.
Engine rebuild 30K +, Gearbox refresh 10-15K. Everything else is also in thousands.
The best way to start is to take the car to a top level Porsche Racing team familiar with cups and have them go over and fix everything.
Afterwards, you MAY be able to do maiintenance work as you wish. But don't start by being cheap or going to a dodgy shop. Also, remember that almost everything in the car times out!
Also, if you worried about writing big checks, don't buy it. It wont be fun.

I have owned 2 996 Cups in the last few years and went through a couple shops before finding a good team.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:51 PM
RENN GTS
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by MSR Racer
This is a long list. They are awesome to drive but expensive.
Engine rebuild 30K +, Gearbox refresh 10-15K. Everything else is also in thousands.
The best way to start is to take the car to a top level Porsche Racing team familiar with cups and have them go over and fix everything.
Afterwards, you MAY be able to do maiintenance work as you wish. But don't start by being cheap or going to a dodgy shop. Also, remember that almost everything in the car times out!
Also, if you worried about writing big checks, don't buy it. It wont be fun.

I have owned 2 996 Cups in the last few years and went through a couple shops before finding a good team.
What this man said.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:20 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RENN GTS
What this man said.
The cheapest part of getting into a cup is the price of the car. They are 15-20k each winter for a 996 or a 1k an hour
not including tires, pads or anything else.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:42 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I just got my '03, and @fstockcarrera is right about the purchase being the cheapest part. I do almost all my own work so that almost makes it affordable for me. I've been tracking my 996 GT3 and went to a 996 Cup for many of the same reasons as @spiller. New Pirelli slicks are $2200 last time I checked but you can get scrubs with 75% tread left for about $700.

Bob
Old 06-03-2018, 10:16 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Fascinating. The costs are near identical to running an F40 on the street. If it makes you feel better an F40 requires a minimum of $25K per year just to keep running properly. And that's if nothing breaks. I agree with the 996 vs. 997. IMO the shifter and cables in a 996 Cup are the best Porsche has offered in the 996/997 generation if you want to shift for yourself. Before you jump on me for off topic or bragging or something I wanted to point out that I could not afford to maintain the F40. Also parts are quickly becoming OOP on 996 Cups just like F40s. And there are only about three good techs I'd let touch an F40. Reminds me of the comment of getting a good shop. It's not just a matter of finding one, the best shops are fully booked. I posted this because it sounded very similar to life with an F40. I am a big 996 platform fan so that's what I'd do but whatever you choose factor in all costs and then be safe and have fun. My wife doesn't like expensive surprises Best Josh PS my friends with Cups started by running them at private track days with a driver and engineer. It helps to get comfortable with the car.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:29 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rebrewer
I just got my '03, and @fstockcarrera is right about the purchase being the cheapest part. I do almost all my own work so that almost makes it affordable for me. I've been tracking my 996 GT3 and went to a 996 Cup for many of the same reasons as @spiller. New Pirelli slicks are $2200 last time I checked but you can get scrubs with 75% tread left for about $700.

Bob
Bob I’m sure you are right, I quoted Australian prices which are $3150 for a set in Aus dollars. That factors in currency conversion and “Australia Tax”.

I just want to add, costs to run these cars can vary greatly depending on who you are using to work on them, how you run them at the track and obviously how much you use the car. For ~10-15 days a year if you run the car yourself at the track, costs won’t be that different from the road car (apart from the tires). These cars are not difficult to run at the track without support if you are willing to get your hands dirty, you just have to be prepared to park it sometimes should you have a mechanical drama. This is a risk I am willing to take because I don’t do interstate trips and I only live 50 miles from each of the two local tracks in my city. Arrive and drive is nice, but it will add 50% to your running costs.

YMMV
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Funny you mention shift cables. I have not replaced those yet (read "everything times out"). Expensive items (from my 08 997 GrandAm) tires, rotors, axles. You MUST take apart the transmission and inspect it before it goes boom and update to Guards improved gears. I have broken 3 or 4 sway bar blades but, I like Sebring.....

If you don't make mistakes, engines can go a long time.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:03 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all. I'm OK with doing most of the maintenance work myself, like fluid changes, pads, rotors, etc. But what else needs to be done on a regular basis, excluding the obvious refresh items that time out? Defueling, emptying coolant?
Old 06-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

There is a post just a couple months ago with a pretty lengthy list of time out parts and duration to change. The question on the time out parts is how important is it to you not to have a parts failure for the weekend? If you lose a wheel bearing, your done but wont come off and most likely wont put you in a wall. So do you time and a half it? double the normal time out? Up to owner. It is a REAL RACE CAR. **** is going to happen. You have to decide "do you feel lucky" and let stuff break along the way and fix when broken. If you do, you may have many weekends with little track time..
Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Thanks all. I'm OK with doing most of the maintenance work myself, like fluid changes, pads, rotors, etc. But what else needs to be done on a regular basis, excluding the obvious refresh items that time out? Defueling, emptying coolant?
I would have a pro team do a full go over of the car so you know you are starting from a solid platform. Check the condition of the fuel cell bladder.

You will have seen that after every session most Cups go in the air and the wheels come off. Why? you want to get under it and look at the usual suspects (hubs, rotors, calipers, sway bars, etc.) but most importantly, look for cracks, leaks and loose stuff. Invest in a real torque wrench (use it and store it properly), learn the values and test them. If the car has an underbody, it becomes a PITA. Do not neglect looking at the wheels not only for cracks but for leaks.

Do not rely on getting under the car in the paddock without safety stands (in a race on the hotpits it might be a different thing) and learn the proper way to drop a car from the airjacks. Another thing that must not be neglected are the regulators on the bottles.

As I said from my experience, broken sway bar blades, cracked rotors, cracked exhaust brackets need monitoring. Don't forget to clean the radiators and remember that you don't have a cooling fan on them.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:49 PM
MarcD147
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

So let me ask the rookie question: what is the proper way to drop the car from the air jacks?

Besides getting your toes clear.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:47 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank you Marc for asking the obvious, but potentially embarrassing, question.

Juan, appreciate your comments and advice, especially in regards to torque wrenches. I just acquired a 991.1 cup which unfortunately, did not come with the standard torque wrench. I've been trying to research appropriate substitutes. I've been told that Snap On and GearWrench offer suitable tools, but haven't been able to verify that, especially given that for 991s, the wrench needs to be able to accurately perform in both clockwise and counterclockwise operation. Would appreciate your (or others') suggestions.

Thanks
Greg
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarcD147
So let me ask the rookie question: what is the proper way to drop the car from the air jacks?

Besides getting your toes clear.
I wondered this too. Slow up, slow down is what I believe to be the key. I saw a guy at the track use a large wrench to gradually lever up the release mechanism to slowly lower the car which seemed like a good way to do it. There is no way to lower it in a controlled manner when using your hands, at least from my experience.

Quick Reply: New to cup car world