Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Request to the Moderators

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 12:27 AM
BladeMD
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed... I think 6speed has it wrong. You have to keep it model iteration-specific, and the Turbo sub forum there is now just a jumble across three iterations.

You got it right, Don. Just a separate forum per model iteration.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:33 AM
Kdavis61
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Completely agree, I have a few fellow Denver Cayenne drivers who only use 6speed due to this reason
Old 04-11-2017, 04:36 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Agree with Don's proposal:
PRIMARY FORUM: Cayenne
SUBFORUM: 955/957, SUBFORUM: 958
SUBFORUM: Future (can be renamed once the new model is announced.)
Would generic topics come under the Primary Forum?
I have been getting questions about off-road / overlanding travels from all models. This is why I have been populating the 'Meet Otis' post - named for the Dec. Pano article.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

100% in agreement. This topic was discussed early on when the 958 was introduced. Now that the 958 is in it's 7th year of production, segregating the models is a great idea.

On a side note, my vote is in to nominate Don (Deilenberger) as a forum moderator.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

This is for the most part a good idea. Is the DFI engine in the 958 the same as that in the 957? My concern would be that there are 958 engine related posts that would pertain to my '09 957 Turbo S that I would miss since I wouldn't spend much time at all in the 958 forum.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:23 AM
white rock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Folks, I'm making this a public posting (and I'll report it so we know the moderators will see it..)

I would like to suggest that this forum be split. It currently covers ALL Cayennes. That was fine when there was basically one series - the 955/957 series. All the questions pertained to mostly the same vehicle. With the introduction of the 958 - the arrangement was not so great, but since for at least 4 years - all the 958's in the US were under warranty, and not much DIY went on - it still wasn't a major problem.

Now it is a problem. And it's loosing members to other forums.

955/957 posts still constitute a majority of the threads on this forum. They also have the ONLY stickies at the top of the forum. Note there are NO 958 stickies.

As the 958's have moved out of warranty, and some issues have become apparent - threads do appear here that are very much 958 specific. And the threads would be useful to prospective used Cayenne buyers - but they simply disappear down the page as they are drowned by 955/957 posts.

What's needed - especially with a new Cayenne due next year - is to split the forum into at least two subforums, and plan to add another when the new Cayenne appears.

The model for this would be:

• SUBFORUM: 955/957
  • SUBFORUM: 958
  • SUBFORUM: Future (can be renamed once the new model is announced.)
Other forums have also added subforums for turbos, tech-writeups/diy, etc. I don't know if this is needed or desirable. It requires more work for the moderators to keep the stuff sorted out.

Advantages of this - we'd no longer have IMPORTANT threads such as ones concerning the VarioCam Adjuster failures on early 958 V8's, or the Transfer-Case failure threads disappear. They could be stickied in the 958 subforum and easily found by users AND search engines.

I'd like to hear from others as to what they think of the idea. I am reporting this to the moderators - who can watch it, act on it, ignore it, or delete it - whatever their desires are is fine with me. I have no skin in the game so to speak - but this forum could be made more valuable to the users if some minor tweaking was done.
Same with the boxsters and caymans
Old 04-11-2017, 11:40 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
This is for the most part a good idea. Is the DFI engine in the 958 the same as that in the 957? My concern would be that there are 958 engine related posts that would pertain to my '09 957 Turbo S that I would miss since I wouldn't spend much time at all in the 958 forum.
I believe there are some differences, but mostly they are the same.

I think the reverse is probably more true though. We still have more 955 and 957 members so I think it is more likely that it would be the 958 owners missing related things being talked about by the 955/957 crew. At least for another few years until the 958 pricing bottoms out and a good percentage are out of warranty (e.g. the enthusiast population grows).
Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by RS-America
Agree with Don's proposal:
SUBFORUM: 955/957, SUBFORUM: 958
SUBFORUM: Future (can be renamed once the new model is announced.)
Would generic topics come under the Primary Forum?
I have been getting questions about off-road / overlanding travels from all models. This is why I have been populating the 'Meet Otis' post - named for the Dec. Pano article.
I would suggest that generic posts "about Cayennes" (regardless of series) end up in the upper level /CAYENNE forum.

This will require some action on the part of the moderators - moving things as necessary..
Old 04-11-2017, 11:48 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I believe there are some differences, but mostly they are the same.

I think the reverse is probably more true though. We still have more 955 and 957 members so I think it is more likely that it would be the 958 owners missing related things being talked about by the 955/957 crew. At least for another few years until the 958 pricing bottoms out and a good percentage are out of warranty (e.g. the enthusiast population grows).
There is always that sort of difficulty - but I think the advantages - not only from a users point of view - but from the additional search engine exposure the 958 posts would get - make it worth segmenting. How I browse on sixspeed is - I drop into the forum in the /958 subforum. After poking around there I usually click to go up one level to the /Cayenne general level and poke around there. Then if I have time I'll take a look in the /Turbo subforum, and the /955-957 subforum, since I used to own a 955.

Nothing is perfect - it still takes some effort on the part of the user to find information. I just think this will make it easier, and overcome the disappearance of important 958 threads that regularly happens here.

Good input everyone. I hope the moderators are reading this (I've heard nothing so far..)
Old 04-11-2017, 12:01 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Nothing to see here, please move on: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...uggestion.html
Old 04-11-2017, 12:48 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll be the lone dissenter. We just don't produce that much traffic to warrant splitting the forum.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

You know, there may be another option.

Have a General Cayenne Forum and then sub forums for Drivetrain and Non-Drivetrain. And even those could be subdivided by generation. That's how it's generally done over on the Diesel Ram forums. Makes it very easy to find information relevant to any topic or issue or DIY effort you may be after.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:46 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by touareg
Nothing to see here, please move on: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...uggestion.html
+1

The only thing going on in the 6speed Cayenne forums are crickets breeding. That forum is dead.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
+1

The only thing going on in the 6speed Cayenne forums are crickets breeding. That forum is dead.
Don't know about the 955/957 side, but the 958 side did take a big hit when they split the Turbos out from the others. I'm not nearly as active over there as I used to be prior to that split since most of the active members were CTT(S) owners and moved to their new playground.

955/957 vs 958 split = good thing
Splitting by models and motors = bad thing
Old 04-11-2017, 05:35 PM
kkturbo
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had originally joined rennlist when I owned a 1999 Boxster (sadly we had to part ways back in 2005), but now I am back with a 2011 Cayenne S (by the way I love my Precious, almost as much as my wife). I will say that the rennlist forums has grown exponentially and sorting through all the threads is a daunting task. Having the subforums would benefit everyone; the new comer, the wanna be, the old salt, retreads, etc........

Quick Reply: Request to the Moderators