Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:10 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

do you have sound on the FM tuner or other apps? Once I had no bluetooth audio. I opened FM tuner, and then hit the tuner app button with the back arrow to close it. Bluetooth audio worked again. Never happened again since.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:15 PM
WarpedWheel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
do you have sound on the FM tuner or other apps? Once I had no bluetooth audio. I opened FM tuner, and then hit the tuner app button with the back arrow to close it. Bluetooth audio worked again. Never happened again since.
I have sound via CD and micro SD. I haven't tried the FM tuner. I'll check that tonight and see. Thanks
Old 06-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

So I will start off with a little story. I ordered my radio the first week in June. Say the payment come out through PayPal and was excited to get it. Three weeks go by, no email, no shipping info etc. started to get a little nervous, but I figured it is coming from China. Last week fearing I got scammed I was just about to see what I could do when I got a text from DHL. I was so relieved. I didn't want to have to explain how I lost near a grand. So I just got it and will be putting it in this weekend. I went with the 7 inch cause I wanted a dad/cd option. I will post pics as I go.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:43 PM
WarpedWheel
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kirk Danielson
So I will start off with a little story. I ordered my radio the first week in June. Say the payment come out through PayPal and was excited to get it. Three weeks go by, no email, no shipping info etc. started to get a little nervous, but I figured it is coming from China. Last week fearing I got scammed I was just about to see what I could do when I got a text from DHL. I was so relieved. I didn't want to have to explain how I lost near a grand. So I just got it and will be putting it in this weekend. I went with the 7 inch cause I wanted a dad/cd option. I will post pics as I go.
That's crazy! I got multiple follow-up emails after I purchased mine, not to mention it showed up in 3 days. Someone must have dropped the ball on your order. Good news that you got it at least!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:04 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm about to place my order. Anyone have any idea what the 1 din DVD option does to the profile of the unit?
Old 06-29-2016, 08:53 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by icspres
I'm about to place my order. Anyone have any idea what the 1 din DVD option does to the profile of the unit?
Turns out a dumb question. I thought there was a second version of the head unit with a built in DVD player. No. The DVD option is a USB connected external DVD player.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 AM
williamsonoma
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara
I got the mirrorlink option as it was only $12 more.

If you have an iphone its pretty useless. It airplays your screen to the system and its lags a lot.

If you have an android, it works over USB and it works amazingly well. It installs an app called drive mode on your phone and it neatly lays out all the features. I thought it was pretty neat for a $12 addition. I tried it with my cousins android when he was here. but it looks like this

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/B9...NNwyYe8Sw=h310
This is excellent for $12. Thanks!

The Headunit is plug and play. The provided fiberoptic bus BOSE amp interface needs 12v and ground spliced. I also recommend planning on a ground loop isolator and that will also need 12v/ground connections spliced too (same connections).

I didnt get the mirror link option, but I understand it to be screen mirroring from your phone to the head unit. This would be useful option if you dont plan on getting mifi hotspot for the car. The 3rd option and probably most popular option is just connecting the phone to the head unit via Bluetooth and using the phone screen to select music (just like every other car stereo).

100% agree, once you have driven in a Tesla S and the Cayenne PCM is unacceptable. The PCM2 was barely passable in 2008.
What is the 3rd option?

Where did you order from?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:33 AM
williamsonoma
Advanced

The Headunit is plug and play. The provided fiberoptic bus BOSE amp interface needs 12v and ground spliced. I also recommend planning on a ground loop isolator and that will also need 12v/ground connections spliced too (same connections).

I didnt get the mirror link option, but I understand it to be screen mirroring from your phone to the head unit. This would be useful option if you dont plan on getting mifi hotspot for the car. The 3rd option and probably most popular option is just connecting the phone to the head unit via Bluetooth and using the phone screen to select music (just like every other car stereo).

100% agree, once you have driven in a Tesla S and the Cayenne PCM is unacceptable. The PCM2 was barely passable in 2008.
will the below work for a ground loop isolator?

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5...+loop+isolator
Old 06-29-2016, 11:29 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WarpedWheel
That's crazy! I got multiple follow-up emails after I purchased mine, not to mention it showed up in 3 days. Someone must have dropped the ball on your order. Good news that you got it at least!
Kirk, Did you buy it directly from Seicane or from ebay/alibaba? I purchased mine here and I also got multiple emails and received it in 3 days:

http://www.seicane.com/en/android-ca...-car-dvd-gps-9

Unbelievably fast from China! Let us know how your install goes.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:51 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Okay, I think I'm giving up waiting for the Avin Avant3 unit. Vaporware. This ticks a majority of the boxes including android, capacitive multi-point screen, Bluetooth, GPS, Camera as well as wifi capable.

The one gigantic factor for me is sound quality. If it's been discussed in the past 12 pages, my apologies. I'd been trying to keep up on this as it happens and I don't recall much talk about it beyond requiring a ground-loop isolator to take out alternator whine.
The 2-digit decimal place on the radio screams cheap Chinese knockoff, but everything else looks pretty good.

How is the sound compared to the PCM when using the Bose equipment? How does it compare to a decent Alpine or Pioneer unit? $600-$700 isn't a great deal of money, but installing this and having poor audio quality will turn this purchase sour for me.

p.s. Kind of giddy about not having to burn CDs to listen to something other than the radio
Old 06-29-2016, 04:18 PM
WarpedWheel
Intermediate

Ok, I tested it last night and I have sound through the CD/DVD and the radio as well. Still nothing via bluetooth, although it still will control the songs.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:33 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
The one gigantic factor for me is sound quality.
I used to put the highest quality amps and speakers I could afford in my daily drivers, back before cars came with systems that were "good enough". I've never loved the bose system, I accept it. If this head unit costs me a modicum of sound quality, I'll just plan on replacing everything else, amp, speakers, all of it in a year or two and the car will finally then sound at least as good as my daily driver did in 1990.

BTW mine is on order. Citi refused the transaction a couple times, but finally got them paid. I like that you MUST choose a shipping option, but there's only one option.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

Kirk, Did you buy it directly from Seicane or from ebay/alibaba? I purchased mine here and I also got multiple emails and received it in 3 days:

http://www.seicane.com/en/android-ca...-car-dvd-gps-9

Unbelievably fast from China! Let us know how your install goes.
Yeah, direct from their web site. All I can think is I gave them the wrong email. I did pay for the three day shipping. I guess I got screwed out of that I plan on starting Friday morning.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:28 PM
Kirk Danielson
Intermediate

Yeah, all I can think is that I gave them the wrong email. I did pay for the three day shipping so I guess I got screwed on that. I will start working on it on Friday.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Yeah, all I can think is that I gave them the wrong email. I did pay for the three day shipping so I guess I got screwed on that. I will start working on it on Friday.
There was no option out of the 3 day shipping that I could see.

Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review