Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 10:50 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

That one jumper5836 posted could be good. If you have a good indy mechanic they often have access to the used parts data base as well. My indy finds and installs major parts all the time.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM
ventuje
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm located in Southern NJ. Anybody know of salvage yards with foreign cars? Or a good indy shop?

Yeah, I wish it had caught fire or something where it died on me. It was a busy intersection and I was broken down in a right turn only lane. I seriously thought somebody would rear end it before the tow truck or cops showed up!
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Revival time... 04 CS scored cylinder walls... Engine is out and completely dis-assembled. Appears as if something went through the oil pump as the teeth are marked and it feels notchy as I spin it around.

After lots of reading and research I would like to rebuild the motor: plans are to sleeve the block and install aftermarket pistons: any leads on who makes a stock sized piston that works in the 4.5L? I have heard Wiseco does...

Would like to post some pics to share my findings and maybe document the rebuild. I am planning on replacing all the main bearings, rod bearings, timing chain, oil pump drive chain, all chain ramps, potentially lifters??,

It was on the -40C day not too long ago in Ontario Canada, engine must have had significant condensation in the oil and frozen a dam in the oil pan. Oil pressure too low light came on and the rest is history...

I found a reasonable amount of condensation in the oil when I took it apart. Also when I initially pulled the drain plug it wouldn't drain. the bottom of the sump was frozen solid and I had to use a small All to pick through maybe a 1/4" of icy oil.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Here are some pics so far... Engine is disassembled and I am putting together my list of parts to order. My roadblock is finding someone to do the machine work as I wish to conduct the rebuild myself.
Attached Images           
The following users liked this post:
lkraav (08-07-2022)
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I hope the rebuild goes well.

I suggest you replace the engine mounts while you have it out. It really smooths out the drivetrain.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I wasn't aware of this thread, but I have read the more recent ones on cylinder scoring. Sorry to read of all of these cases.

Jonathon, I do hope you document your rebuild. It will be really interesting to see the steps involved in rebuilding a Cayenne engine.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:27 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I wasn't aware of this thread, but I have read the more recent ones on cylinder scoring. Sorry to read of all of these cases.

Jonathon, I do hope you document your rebuild. It will be really interesting to see the steps involved in rebuilding a Cayenne engine.
+1 Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I too would love to see a full write-up on your build!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jake Raby able to help you out ? http://www.flat6innovations.com/
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Here are some pics so far... Engine is disassembled and I am putting together my list of parts to order. My roadblock is finding someone to do the machine work as I wish to conduct the rebuild myself.
Why not you send the block out the LN to get re-sleeved. Comes with JE FSR Piston set

http://lnengineering.com/products/wa...ins-clips.html
Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

This fellow is often around discussing this issue:

http://www.flat6innovations.com/

IIRC,he also features a displacement increase if you are 'in there anyway'. If it were me, I'd at least talk to him about this conversion rather than just keeping it the 4.5.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:35 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
This fellow is often around discussing this issue:

http://www.flat6innovations.com/

IIRC,he also features a displacement increase if you are 'in there anyway'. If it were me, I'd at least talk to him about this conversion rather than just keeping it the 4.5.
4.5 - 4.8 is also on LN website, cost is the same
Old 04-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Switchfoot614
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the camshaft and timing chain locking tools. If you need them, shoot me a PM
Old 05-08-2014, 10:42 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Why not you send the block out the LN to get re-sleeved. Comes with JE FSR Piston set

http://lnengineering.com/products/wa...ins-clips.html
Hey Jumper,

Great suggestion, hadn't come across that yet! - Thank you

I found someone locally who will be sleeving the block for 2k. (Port Perry Engine and Machine)

Also sourced replacement pistons from WISECO for 1.2k.

I'm on a major budget...

Other parts sourced from porsche (seals gaskets and bearings @ 2k)

Unfortunately even though I disconnected the down pipes from the headers, the down pipes both ripped at the flex joint when pulling the motor. It was going to break anyway !
Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

My next step is to figure out which size of bearings to order. Porsche offers 3 ranges, colour coded: red yellow and blue if I remember correctly. The crank is supposed to have a colour dot to match to, however I couldn't find it on mine. I will be using measurements from Crank Guy to determine which bearings to order. If anyone has any experience doing this for Cayennes would love to hear how you correlated your bearing sizes. I have some 911 experience I can lean on for this, but no Cayenne exp...

JR
Old 05-10-2014, 11:43 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 184 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
My next step is to figure out which size of bearings to order. Porsche offers 3 ranges, colour coded: red yellow and blue if I remember correctly. The crank is supposed to have a colour dot to match to, however I couldn't find it on mine. I will be using measurements from Crank Guy to determine which bearings to order. If anyone has any experience doing this for Cayennes would love to hear how you correlated your bearing sizes. I have some 911 experience I can lean on for this, but no Cayenne exp...

JR
Name:  IMAG0015.jpg
Views: 5624
Size:  80.8 KB

I am doing a big turbo/full engine build on my 04 CTT right now due to a chipped exhaust valve and no compression on #2. I doubt your going to find anyone with much experience on these engines.

IMHO there are a couple of factors on the CS engines that cause cylinder scoring. These also lead to oil consumption. Lets be clear on a couple of things first, there is NO LINER OR COATING in a cayenne block. A cayenne block is ALUSIL. Which is basicly a form of hyperutectic aluminum.

Cayennes have forged pistons. They are hyperutectic also, not 2018 like a JE, Carillo, Wiseco, etc. The CTT has more dish to lower compression.

Hyperutectic pistons run more clearance than cast. 2018 run more clearance than hyperutectic.

According to Jake Raby @ Raby developments who partners with LN engineering, these engines are setup with incorrect clearances.

A couple of reasons why the CS "probably" has the brunt of the scoring issue.
1. Incorrect clearances from the factory.
2. CS engines do not have the piston oil squirters like the CTT.
3. Due to the Cayenne's crankcase design and killer windage/oil control, there probably is not much splash lubrication available on startup.

If you live in a cold climate I highly suggest you obtain a block heater.

A couple of facts:

The Cayenne uses Silicon-Bronze Valve guides. They suck. It's likely that most Cayenne engines are severely worn here and this leads to oil consumption. You can not buy replacement valve guides from Porsche. They are a 6mm guide but its the seal retention area that has some special machining. Therefore I personally was not able to find a universal guide that I felt was adaptable with faith. I had some custom made.

You CAN refinish Cayenne bores with some degree of success. I would say its not even worth it unless the cylinders are still round, probably not likely unless on a CS with very low miles.

There are three people in the country that I know for sure have a torque plate to correctly machine the Cayenne block. If you dont use one, especially after sleeving, you are wasting a lot of time and money. If you are planning on using 2018 forged pistons, they run more clearance and this only exaccerbates the ring seal issue.

Factory pistons are $380 each. You can get 8 Carillo's for $1600. Wossner will make you a set of 2018 forgings with the skirt coating for about 1600 if you do not want to sleeve.

If your going to use ductile iron liners in the Cayenne block I highly recommend your machinist is the ****, as there is ZERO room for error here. Especially if your planning a performance build. Many headaches to come if not done properly. A flanged dry sleeve is best so that it can not sink or move. LN has a great process and they use an aluminum sleeve with Nikasil Coating. I personally am not a fan of Nikasil for several reasons.

Jonathan, I have a ton of respect for you for tackling this yourself
Pm me and i would be glad to share my contact info with you and help in whatever way I can. Nobody else is going to/be able to without a healthy dose of Vaseline. Even then paying big bucks doesn't mean your getting a quality service.
The following 2 users liked this post by J'sWorld:
Cayenne Turbo 09 (08-03-2023), lkraav (08-07-2022)

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Replacement